Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   50M : Upload REDUCED from 5mbit to 1.75mbit? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33682814)

weirdo 16-11-2011 23:51

Upload REDUCED from 5mbit to 1.75mbit?

o/

Long time lurker :)

I have noticed, literally, in the last week or so, after a few crashes on my big black Ambit box of doom, that the config file has started stating that my max traffic rate on my upstream is 1750000 bps, instead of the 5000000 bps it has a week ago.

This has come with quite a detrimental loss of quality of service as well, primarily in the peak times. Formerly my speedtest.net results were coming in at 49.9 Mb/s / ~4Mb/s and have gone down to 45Mb/s / 1.45Mb/s.

I thought VM were upgrading, not downgrading people?

Any idea why this would happen? And whether this is permanent?

AbyssUnderground 17-11-2011 12:06

Re: Upload REDUCED from 5mbit to 1.75mbit?

You probably uploaded too much, the STM on 50Mbps for upload is 1.75Mbps. Download is not affected.

Milambar 17-11-2011 13:44

Its my understanding from past posts here, that STM is enforced at VM's datacenters, or headends or whatever the official term is, and not by sending a different config file to the modem.

The fact that he has a different config, seems very strange and in my mind suggests either an error, or a permanent change in the limits.

7031 17-11-2011 15:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milambar (Post 35331502)
Its my understanding from past posts here, that STM is enforced at VM's datacenters, or headends or whatever the official term is, and not by sending a different config file to the modem.

The fact that he has a different config, seems very strange and in my mind suggests either an error, or a permanent change in the limits.

Hmm yes, I have a feeling that the one and only time I've been STMed the SuperHub's config stayed the same.

No idea what would cause this though.

weirdo 17-11-2011 20:11

Well, not going to lie, but I am a heavy user. This would be the first time I have been STM'd to my knowledge.

I have done the reset of the modem a few times now, with the same config being present, so clearly it thinks that this 1.75MB one is correct. I can probably deal with the speed tbh, but only having 1.75MB basically means that i can't get my full speed half the time with HTTP due to the overheads, so basically, I am not getting what I paid for.

Also, I am beginning to learn the futility of the indian callcentres >_<...

---------- Post added at 20:11 ---------- Previous post was at 20:07 ----------

Also, to post what I chucked up on the VM support forums... proof! :)

This is from October, before my config got nuked:
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2011/11/27.png

This is now. I have had 4 or 5 tests identical to this, with varying amounts on the download, but the upload solid at this speed.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2011/11/28.png

This is tonight:
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2011/11/29.png

My power levels on the DS/US are pretty much bang on and within the tolerances.

Config below:

Config File:

General Configuration
Network Access : Allowed
Maximum Number of CPEs : 1
Baseline Privacy : Enabled
DOCSIS Mode : DOCSIS 3.0
Config File : 34ncxv9873254k;fg87d
Primary Downstream Service Flow
SFID : 444
Max Traffic Rate : 53000000 bps
Max Traffic Burst : 3044 bytes
Min Traffic Rate : 0 bps
Primary Upstream Service Flow
SFID : 443
Max Traffic Rate : 1750000 bps
Max Traffic Burst : 1600 bytes
Min Traffic Rate : 0 bps
Max Concatenated Burst : 1522 bytes
Scheduling Type : Best Effort

Stuart 17-11-2011 20:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milambar (Post 35331502)

AFAIK, STM is not applied by changing the modem config file.

Wierdo, have you reported this as a fault. Looks like someone pushed the wrong button and reset your config.

weirdo 17-11-2011 20:43

Oddly enough, just rang 150.

Been told that I have triggered the STM (not really a surprise, I was expecting this). I asked the question why it was still STM'd at 8am this morning, and for so long, even before I uploaded, and the advisor, and his Lvl2 didn't have an answer.

Been advised to keep it off overnight, and see if the config resets in the morning. Tried this before, but, worth trying again. And if this fails, 150 again tomorrow night.

First time, oddly enough, I have been taken to someone (on the indian centre) who actually didn't jump straight into the script. Quite pleasantly surprised :)

7031 17-11-2011 20:44

Hmm yes. I'm not sure why it would happen like that though. From experience I'll say that the support on the Virgin Media forums tends to be a lot better than what you'll get over the phone though.

Ignitionnet 17-11-2011 20:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by weirdo (Post 35331675)
Well, not going to lie, but I am a heavy user. This would be the first time I have been STM'd to my knowledge.

I have done the reset of the modem a few times now, with the same config being present, so clearly it thinks that this 1.75MB one is correct. I can probably deal with the speed tbh, but only having 1.75MB basically means that i can't get my full speed half the time with HTTP due to the overheads, so basically, I am not getting what I paid for.

Also, I am beginning to learn the futility of the indian callcentres >_<...

Sounds like there's a fault and you're misprovisioned, however 1.75Mb is fine for the 50Mb product - that's what the upstream was before the upgrade, it's what my upstream speed along with various other people remains and it's ok.

weirdo 17-11-2011 21:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignitionnet (Post 35331690)
Sounds like there's a fault and you're misprovisioned, however 1.75Mb is fine for the 50Mb product - that's what the upstream was before the upgrade, it's what my upstream speed along with various other people remains and it's ok.

Misprovisioned? Do you mind explaining what is meant by this, for when I discuss with VM tomorrow?

And 1.75 is ok, just means its back to doing one thing at a time. Been used to having 5mbit and being able to chuck my data onto my team's dropbox, while streaming iplayer and browsing. Means that simply having dropbox going at 120k, kills everything else. Means i am stuck now with downloading OR uploading, rather than multitasking before.

weirdo 18-11-2011 23:38

And... off all night and day. And still config at 1.75mbit.

Milambar 19-11-2011 04:14

The term "provisioned" simply means what config file was sent to the router. The config file is what tells the router what speed to run at.

"Misprovisioned" simply means a wrong config file was sent.

You can't alter the config file, or influence it in any way. Its controlled by Virgin.

weirdo 22-11-2011 20:30

Well, official verdict is that 1.75mbit is what I am supposed to be on for the moment. They are apparently doing something to the network I am connected to.

roger skillin 23-11-2011 13:05

I was STM'd on 50mb a few months back and it didn't reset back to 5mb, had to call support 4 times until someone finally listened to me and did something about it, funnily enough the times they wouldn't do anything was when i got through to the indian call centre, why have a call centre set up over there if they don't sort your problems?

Sirius 23-11-2011 15:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by roger skillin (Post 35334011)
I was STM'd on 50mb a few months back and it didn't reset back to 5mb, had to call support 4 times until someone finally listened to me and did something about it, funnily enough the times they wouldn't do anything was when i got through to the indian call centre, why have a call centre set up over there if they don't sort your problems?

Is 50 meg STM'd now as its news to me ?