Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2013) Vol. 2. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33692722)

devilincarnate 30-06-2013 18:47

Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2013) Vol. 2.

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35590526)
Indeed it certainly will be a interesting period.:)

Why is it the 28th day again:erm:

MalteseFalcon 30-06-2013 21:40

I use around 100GB of traffic a day, both up and down. Apart from between 6 to 7pm, I have little trouble consistently getting speeds of 30MB/s and over. Only gripe would be the upload speed, but apparently once the BB speed increase comes into effect in my area it will go from 1 to 3MB/s.

alwaysabear 30-06-2013 22:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35590616)
What do you define as heavy? I stream a huge amount of video content, much of it HD, throughout the day with no problem whatsoever.

I think you're perpetuating a false perception that I have found to be totally untrue.

:clap:

Qtx 30-06-2013 22:43

Quote:

What do you define as heavy? I stream a huge amount of video content, much of it HD, throughout the day with no problem whatsoever.

Obviously he was referring to the traffic management between 4pm and 11pm where Virgin slow you down if you hit 2.7GB of traffic within an hour. Different limits of different tiers but his comment was correct about VM not wanting you to use the connection heavy at those times, otherwise they wouldn't have the limits :rolleyes:

passingbat 30-06-2013 23:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qtx (Post 35590715)
but his comment was correct about VM not wanting you to use the connection heavy at those times, otherwise they wouldn't have the limits :rolleyes:

But it has no effect in practice for the vast majority of users, myself (a heavy user) included.

It is therefore being used as a red herring for people who want to attack VM. And I suspect that for many of the people using this red herring, their current speed is slower than the speed you get from VM even when the VM speed is capped. I don't know whether that makes it funny or pathetic.

Qtx 30-06-2013 23:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35590729)
But it has no effect in practice for the vast majority of users, myself (a heavy user) included.

It is therefore being used as a red herring for people who want to attack VM. And I suspect that for many of the people using this red herring, their current speed is slower than the speed you get from VM even when the VM speed is capped. I don't know whether that makes it funny or pathetic.

I would have to disagree with you about it being a red herring. While it is his opinion that 60meg BT would be better, the fact that you can only use your VM connection for about 15 minutes at full speed before they limit your speed to whatever percent, shows that you don't even have to be a heavy user to be affected.

As for the FTTC customers here on 80Meg, they all seem to constantly get that speed as well as the 20meg upload. With no slowing down of their connection and no congestion, I would say it is a better choice.

40mbit is more than enough for my use and I consistently get it even when I download 30GB in an evening. Find the upload more useful tbh. 20mbit is more than enough for most households at this point in time really, the speed thing is really a bit of a con.

denphone 01-07-2013 06:16

Quote:

I think you're perpetuating a false perception that I have found to be totally untrue.

Summed up perfectly PB.

andy_m 01-07-2013 06:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qtx (Post 35590734)
I would have to disagree with you about it being a red herring. While it is his opinion that 60meg BT would be better, the fact that you can only use your VM connection for about 15 minutes at full speed before they limit your speed to whatever percent, shows that you don't even have to be a heavy user to be affected.

As for the FTTC customers here on 80Meg, they all seem to constantly get that speed as well as the 20meg upload. With no slowing down of their connection and no congestion, I would say it is a better choice.

40mbit is more than enough for my use and I consistently get it even when I download 30GB in an evening. Find the upload more useful tbh. 20mbit is more than enough for most households at this point in time really, the speed thing is really a bit of a con.

So what's the problem, then?

passingbat 01-07-2013 08:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35590760)
So what's the problem, then?

There isn't one. In my opinion, Qtx just likes to attack VM and will spin anything he can, just to do so.

Media Boy UK 01-07-2013 10:38

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2013) Vol. 3 has now launched.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/11...l#post35590815

This thread will close soon.

Kymmy 01-07-2013 10:54

Closed as requested