Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Free Criminal Record Check (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=45463)

danny08 02-07-2008 19:26

Re: Free Criminal Record Check

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDave1 (Post 719389)
Where is a website that does a totally free criminal record check on a person of your choice? Thank You

sorry m8 i aint got a clue if you find out please let me no ill carry on looking and if i do then ill let you no
thanks

danny whiteoak

Jon T 02-07-2008 19:58

The post your quoting is from April 2006, also the poster is a banned member. I'd suggest that your unlikely to hear anymore about this.

the_neurotic_cat 04-07-2008 21:42

I talk regularly with an retired police officer and this subject comes up from time to time. He usually points out to me that people with criminal records are the ones that have been both found out and convicted. We all need to feel safe, but this kind of information won't make that happen, probably the opposite.

wwe 05-07-2008 05:14

what do the police use then i thought they would have a website they use

Graham M 05-07-2008 08:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by wwe (Post 34592282)

A website!? For what? To find out convictions? No that will all be a big internal database!

AndyCambs 05-07-2008 09:41

Under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act - you're not obliged to disclose most convictions to anyone (with certain restrictions).
Any information like this would be severely restricted under the Data Protection Act as well.

Derek 07-07-2008 11:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by wwe (Post 34592282)

The Police use a large Police national computer. Never ones to go for fancy acronyms it's called the PNC. ;)

TheDaddy 31-07-2008 06:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyCambs (Post 34592336)
Under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act - you're not obliged to disclose most convictions to anyone (with certain restrictions).
Any information like this would be severely restricted under the Data Protection Act as well.

Lets hope so, although if you notice there is a web site advertising criminal record searches in the UK at the top of this page, I can't believe they can do this?

http://gov-reports.net/uk-search.php...onal%20Records

k_ck 02-09-2008 18:50

hi i was just wanderin i got a five year reprimand when i was 16 for theft i was wanderin if after the 5 years is it cleared or will it still show up on crb checks???

Chris 02-09-2008 18:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek S (Post 34593669)
The Police use a large Police national computer. Never ones to go for fancy acronyms it's called the PNC. ;)

Currently being updated to the "Police National Database". Guess the acronym. :D

---------- Post added at 18:56 ---------- Previous post was at 18:54 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by k_ck (Post 34630842)
hi i was just wanderin i got a five year reprimand when i was 16 for theft i was wanderin if after the 5 years is it cleared or will it still show up on crb checks???

It will show up. Whether a potential employer is entitled to take it into account depends on whether the conviction is 'spent' under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, and whether the position you're applying for is exempt from the ROA.

k_ck 02-09-2008 19:11

so why is it called a 5 year reprimand what happens after the 5 years??

Chris 02-09-2008 19:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by k_ck (Post 34630859)
so why is it called a 5 year reprimand what happens after the 5 years??

Possibly it ceases to be taken into account should you require sentencing for anything else after the five years is up, like a suspended sentence? Or does the five years mandate a period of supervision by social workers or parole officers? I don't know, it was your sentence, don't you remember? :p:

k_ck 02-09-2008 19:17

lol nope it was never really explained to me nothin has bin said or done about it tho.i was hopin ot would just go off it dependin on what the crb check was for.thanku tho

Danlows1 16-03-2009 00:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by k_ck (Post 34630842)

I am an active PCSO in the Met and can say for traffic offences the general rule of thumb is they are wiped after 7 years after the sentance is spent.
Civil court judgements are not removed at all but should not affect your job applications except if you are trying to work with vunerable/ young people and have a custody judgement against you.
Magistrates court judgements should be kept for ten years, but shouldnt affect your applications either.
Crown court judgements follow that rule as well, with a few exeptions such as sex offences.

I think people are getting confused between the CRB check and the PNC check. The CRB check can be done by anyone, on anyone, as long as they have permission in the form of ID of the subject of the check. Spent convictions should not be displayed in the basic form.
PNC can only be checked by MoD staff, the Police and a few other agencies to a reduced degree, such as the DVLA.
If i call up on the radio for a name check (PNC), the operator has on their display the subjects last known address, bail conditions if any, if the subject is wanted on various types of warrant which i wont go into now, and most importantly (for me), any warning markers the subject has. These are basically a way of telling me quickly if im dealing with a axe wielding mentalist, or just someone who is a gang member.
If i ask for a PNC printout, however, what i get is a ream or so of paper detailing all the times the subject has been arrested, what for, and what the final results were.
I should note here that the final results are not the sentance, just what police action was taken.
Finally, i can ask for a court printout which gives me even more paper which has ALL of the subjects court results (even spent ones) on it.
The reason for the distinction between the last two is that the police force has no direct influence on the judicial system, so all the police do is gather the evidence and deliver it to the CPS who make the decision on behalf of the crown whether it would be in the public interest to charge them.
Contrary to popular belief (thanks, the bill!), the police have limited discretion, to decide if they should charge the subject. If the subject is arrested, the police only have 4 options, caution, final warning, charge or release them. In effect the CPS determines if there has been a crime.
If anyone wants to discuss this in more detail, pm me.

rogerdraig 16-03-2009 01:46

how old are you now and what sort of job is it

spent convictions are not normally put on any CRB unless the conviction is seen to be relevant by person doing the CRB or supposedly if a police officer is concerned about the person and then it wouldnt appear on your copy it is attached to the requsting agencies copy under strict non disclosure rules

see
http://www.crb.gov.uk/Default.aspx?page=310
http://www.crb.gov.uk/Default.aspx?page=1871

there is also this section that the requsting agency can get

http://www.crb.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=1858

if you want to see what the form looks like see here

http://www.crb.gov.uk/pdf/crb11%20guidance.pdf