Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Science & Technology (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   The iPhone thread (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33620888)

Damien 18-09-2007 11:19

Re: iPhone UK Release info

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSainsbury (Post 34398494)
Yeah yeah - the great unlimited swindle again....

No doubt there will be a FUP involved...

Yes there is. But I think you'll be hard pushed to go over it on a iPhone

Chris 18-09-2007 11:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 34398499)

Ah, with its not-really-3G compromise technology. They should have called it FUDGE, rather than EDGE.

Anyone know why the iPhone doesn't currently support 3G? Is it due to lack of 3G networks in the USA, battery consumption, bulk, or something else?

Damien 18-09-2007 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris T (Post 34398504)
Ah, with its not-really-3G compromise technology. They should have called it FUDGE, rather than EDGE.

Anyone know why the iPhone doesn't currently support 3G? Is it due to lack of 3G networks in the USA, battery consumption, bulk, or something else?

Apple say its battery, more likely its like of 3G in America and the added price....

Hugh 18-09-2007 11:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris T (Post 34398504)

According to Tim Cook, Apple COO (back in March 07)
Pocketpicks
"Our thinking was first and foremost that we wanted GSM because GSM was the world standard and that was one of the factors in the selection of Cingular. Secondly, the product as we announced it has wireless capabilities. Many people, like in this room, have access to WiFi, including this room, home, where you have coffee. Between this spots we are going to use 2.5G because it’s widely deployed. We’re confident that it will give the user a great experience.”

Sounds a bit wishy-washy to me - Edge is so much slower than 3G HSDPA.

LSainsbury 18-09-2007 11:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 34398499)

Yeah yeah - a few MP3's, 50 emails and and a few internetweb browses and it'll tip it over ....you just watch this space come December when the first bills arrive on customer doorsteps...

punky 18-09-2007 11:45

I wonder if they will come in boxes like the US iPhones :) Over 300 pages of $0.00 itemised GPRS charges per month :)

LSainsbury 18-09-2007 11:45

Apple launches £269 iPhone in the UK -> IT Pro

Quote:

"All price plans will have unlimited data, on wireless hotspots, GPRS and Edge" said Key, moving quickly to address concerns over high data bills that have emerged during early use in the US. The data service does have a fair usage policy, which Key would not go into specifics on.
That's because they are hiding something...it's the most important piece of info I require when entering into a new contract.

handyman 18-09-2007 13:05

Full tariff information on Carfonewarehouse site

punky 18-09-2007 13:10

Why's wifi subjected to a FUP?

Surely that's upto the wifi provider not O2?

Chris 18-09-2007 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin (Post 34398572)
Why's wifi subjected to a FUP?

Surely that's upto the wifi provider not O2?

I assume that relates to the 'unlimited' access to O2's own WiFi network, which is part of the bundle.

handyman 18-09-2007 13:47

The are using 'the cloud' for wi-fi.

I would expect a 1gb data with perhaps a 1gb wifi fair use policy.

Damien 18-09-2007 14:11

for a portable device the fair usage thing is more than enough, you're not going to be downloading torrents or binary files....

LSainsbury 18-09-2007 14:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 34398615)
for a portable device the fair usage thing is more than enough, you're not going to be downloading torrents or binary files....

Says who? :erm:

What I download it up to me / the users - not for somebody to dictate what I can and can't download on a device of my choice!

Hugh 18-09-2007 15:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSainsbury (Post 34398635)
Says who? :erm:

What I download it up to me / the users - not for somebody to dictate what I can and can't download on a device of my choice!

The police may disagree - ask Chris Langham......

LSainsbury 18-09-2007 15:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by foreverwar (Post 34398637)
The police may disagree - ask Chris Langham......

LOL!!! I didn't mean that kinda stuff....but what if I wanted to download 30 MP3 albums and a couple of videos...