Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   NTL "Customer" support - 10Meg performance drop :/ (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=40969)

Robjones23 07-01-2006 22:30

NTL "Customer" support - 10Meg performance drop :/

Ello all, just wanted to post regarding NTL's customer support, or lack of, when calling regarding broadband issues.

I spoke to a gent in india which already gave NTL a minus point (I'm sure i'm not the only one that, regardless of how good the indian operator is, I get off the phone ****ed off because of the language barrier).

Anyway, I told him that my broadband speed has decreased recently since just around xmas time. I told him that downloads from microsoft.com are hovering at around 25KB/sec.

So the first thing he asked was if i had a router? I said yes and he immediately blamed the router as the problem. I told him I'd had the router for a couple of years now and never had a problem and that i'd tried the broadband without the router connected and had the same problem.

Immediately he said that lots of customers in my area had phone up regarding this problem.

WHAT THE HELL?!?! He tells me it's the router, then when that theory is quashed he tells me that lots of people have been reporting the same issue. LIAR!!!

So we then went through some more tests involving msconfig (setting the safemode boot option with networking) which didn't resolve the problem.

He then told me to go via a proxy for which he gave me the IP. I told him this does improve the speed for IE, but won't affect my other apps which are slow as S**T.

So he told me that now that we've done the proxy change, everything that NTL provides is working as it should be and that its the fault of the software providers that the app is running slowly!!!

I then dropped a bomb on him saying that the other app connects to news.ntlworld.com, an NTL service and that this IS their responsibility. Downloads from there used to be around 1.09MB/sec (note the big B not the little one!) and are now around 78KB.

So he tells me that the rules are that as no-one else has called up regarding this problem, it won't get escalated!!! WHAT?! Where's the customer in customer service!? So I had a rant and a rave to him that it's unacceptable and eventually he spoke to his manager and said he'd escalate it.

I asked him when I should expect a call to say its fixed and he told me I wouldn't get a call as the call centre is inbound only. so I aksed him if he can send emails from the call centre and he said yes, so asked him to email me. He said he couldn't email me because the system only lets him send an email while he's talking to the person.

LIAR LIAR LIAR!!!!!

Customer service has gone down hill and I've never, ever had a problem with broadband until just before xmas and I've been with them over 5 years now at three different addresses.

Why has everything gone to s**t?!

Excuse my rant but i had to get that off my chest!

-Rob

Russ 07-01-2006 22:37

Re: NTL "Customer" support - 10Meg performance drop :/

Sorry to hear about your troubles mate - PM me your name, address and account number and I'll pas this on to the site's contact within ntl on monday morning.

Jim galbally 08-01-2006 11:25

thats what annoys me the most about NTL's operators, quite often they tell you blatant LIES. I've had it from tech support and customer service in the past

Chimaera 08-01-2006 11:27

Yeah - never tell them you have a router because that is ALWAYS the problem!

Jim galbally 08-01-2006 11:30

i to 2nd/3rd line support fo a few call centres with my job (IT Techy) so i visit some of them quite often and know the people etc. etc. now one thing they are told NEVER to do (and don't do) is LIE to the person on the other end of the phone. they can blag them with "i''m not allowed to do that, it's company policy" but they can never lie to them. it's VERY bad for customer service as it makes customers angry.

i think either NTL has a lot of bad staff working for them, or they are told they are allowed to lie on the phone.

OL1V3R 08-01-2006 11:31

Its a shame really. NTL offer fantastic service, its just when something goes wrong or when you need to change something that it goes downhill.

We moved house recently, and we use the telephone number in the old house for business calls, so its very important we kept the number. Anyway- My mother made sure that we could keep the number, called NTL twice to confirm it, they said yes, for sure.

We move house, order telephone to be installed.. "Sorry, you're in a different exchange, we cant" .. Okay, fair enough its in a different exchange, but again why wasnt this checked beforehand? Its quite inconvenient.

Rone 08-01-2006 18:30

Ive just gone through all this, even got a new Blue modem, and some very good customer care indeed.
BUT, it seems theres a lot of this about, mine went slower than dial up over Christmas, the engineer said he had seen a lot of this recently, and doubted that a new modem would fix it totally, but at least they made the effort.
Its really variable atm, and its nowhere near the solid reliable 3meg i have enjoyed for the last year, i hope it gets sorted, i dont really want to consider another provider. :(

city 08-01-2006 19:15

My service has been very poor since I downgraded to the 10 Meg service.
I am currently getting 125kbps down and 454kbps up which is really poor.
I have never had anything better than 500kbps download from newsgroups.
Looks like I will be upgrading back to 2Mb shortly or maybe try another isp.
Disgruntled customer.

Darone 08-01-2006 19:54

I've had exactly the same experience.
My service has gone to pot since i went from 3Mb to 10Mb with a modem upgrade. I now get worse download speeds than i did with my terrayon modem.
Customer support have shown no interest at all in my problem and i agree when people say they feel they are being lied to. My Problem was escalated and i was told i would be contacted within 72 hour.
I waited 4 days before ringing again, only to be told that the operator who dealt with my call was on holiday.
It really is beyond belief and no attempt has been made to look into my problem.
As with Rob above, i have never had cause to ring tech support in the 5 years i've been on ntl broadband. I've always been very happy with the service but when they won't even accept there may be a problem, i'm sorry to say that i'm now looking for a viable alternative to Ntl Broadband.

The excitement of the move upto 10Mb broadband has long since passed and now i just have a headache and a bitter taste in my mouth.

Cheers.

city 08-01-2006 23:33

I can't be bothered ringing CS now even when you get through you get treated like a complete idiot getting you to try all sorts of things things on your PC which has no bearing on the situation. NTL stop treating us like idiots and either give us the service for which we are paying for or refund us when you underperform.

A five year now pi**ed off customer.

Stuart 09-01-2006 00:05

city, it sounds like you will need to call Customer Services. If you get bad service, then we can notify our contacts within NTL, but they will not do anything unless there is a call logged with Customer Services.

andybeary 09-01-2006 00:12

I am also in the same situation

i have been with NTL for around 4 years and started off with the 1 meg service which was then upgraded to 3 meg (or 2 meg in my case) no problems at all. I was then sent a lett from NTL in December saying because im a top paying customer i will be upgraded by end of December. Its now January and instead of the upgrade im getting 1.9m/sec downloads with a loss off internet connection every few hours.

I have rang and emailed NTL who always put me through to India, i am then told that my area has been affected and told to wait a week or so. Its been 2 weeks now and its getting worse. When i emailed customer service they just send me a automated response saying i should ring broadband tech support which is (india). I asked in my email to pass the email to the relevant department and still got the same automated email back (which is made too look like someone actually typed it). Im now at a loss on what to do i have the motorola surfboard modem sb4100. why should i pay 37.99 when i could pay for the 2 meg connection which is what im currently getting.

my email is andybeary @hotmail.com could someone please esculate this as i just cant get though to anyone. I cant bare to ring again and wait another 20 to 30 minuites waiting for someone in india to tell me what i already know.

Andy

sicknote 09-01-2006 00:12

oh dear friday 6th found out my connection sucked and as i speak is below 1.5mg and people trying to post work to my site cant its crap to say the least and from reading ubove looks like it may not improve:( i have been with ntl for at least 5yrs also and have to say on my 3mg everything was great now 10mg suks and cant see me staying with ntl on performance like this
another ****ed off 5yr customer about to leave:(
Friday 6th - monday 8th less than 1.5mg it looks like a trend so get yer finger outta yer asses ntl and sort it otherwise a lot of people are gonna vanish:)

Russ 09-01-2006 00:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by andybeary
I am also in the same situation

i have been with NTL for around 4 years and started off with the 1 meg service which was then upgraded to 3 meg (or 2 meg in my case) no problems at all. I was then sent a lett from NTL in December saying because im a top paying customer i will be upgraded by end of December. Its now January and instead of the upgrade im getting 1.9m/sec downloads with a loss off internet connection every few hours.

I have rang and emailed NTL who always put me through to India, i am then told that my area has been affected and told to wait a week or so. Its been 2 weeks now and its getting worse. When i emailed customer service they just send me a automated response saying i should ring broadband tech support which is (india). I asked in my email to pass the email to the relevant department and still got the same automated email back (which is made too look like someone actually typed it). Im now at a loss on what to do i have the motorola surfboard modem sb4100. why should i pay 37.99 when i could pay for the 2 meg connection which is what im currently getting.

my email is andybeary @hotmail.com could someone please esculate this as i just cant get though to anyone. I cant bare to ring again and wait another 20 to 30 minuites waiting for someone in india to tell me what i already know.

Andy

PM me your full name, address and account number and I'll pass your siruation on to someone in ntl tomorrow.

buba3d 09-01-2006 01:02

Hmm to me it looks like a UBR problem, usually when i can't get any news server updates to certain groups