Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   TiVo : I love TiVo (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33686135)

denphone 08-03-2012 19:06

Re: I love TiVo

Quote:

Originally Posted by kop32 (Post 35395735)
And due to the serious lack of HD and quality channels available to you DF you can record hundreds of hours of repeated drivel.......:D:D, light's blue touch paper and stands well back.....

No thats not true.:nono::nono:

Mr K 08-03-2012 21:00

It's got some nice features (e.g. wish lists), but has several flaws, which don't seem to be getting fixed e.g. poor SD picture quality, lip sync issues, poor quality iplayer app that cuts programmes off before the end.

Get the impression that VM just see these as a 'features' of the product and have given up looking for fixes. We'll no doubt have to upgrade to a 'Tivo Plus' box at some point if we want these fixed. They never ironed out the issues with V+, which is why many felt obliged to 'upgrade' to TiVo, which, it turns out, has even more bugs.

andy_m 08-03-2012 21:07

Poor sd picture quality isn't my experience. The only lip sync issues I'm aware of were on ITV 1 hd, which was a known fault across platforms and for ITV to resolve. I player is the BBC's problem.

Mr K 08-03-2012 21:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35395932)
Poor sd picture quality isn't my experience. The only lip sync issues I'm aware of were on ITV 1 hd, which was a known fault across platforms and for ITV to resolve. I player is the BBC's problem.

Always somebody else's problem to solve ??? VM charge us for the sub-standard service , VM's issue to solve.

SD picture quality is poor, many people have reported it, having TiVo for so long can make you accustomed to an inferior picture. My VHD and freeview boxes have far superior PQ on SD channels. The catch up for BBC on VHD is infinitley better than the Iplayer app on TiVo - the quality of which at times is worse than a PC.

andy_m 08-03-2012 21:52

I have v + hd and a Tivo. Both are outputting to different TV's, both of which are the same make and model. There is no difference. That isn't about getting used to it on Tivo, there is simply no difference in my experience. 42"TV's FWIW.

I'm minded to broadly agree with you about I player, but would imagine Virgin can do little more than pressure the BBC, who, after all, are the ones that wrote it. Lip sync on ITV hd, however, is just a case of looking for a stick to beat Virgin with-this issue was widely reported across stb's and platforms. Where is your post blaming Sky for not sorting out the ITV lip sync problem, because they had it too?! ITV's fault, pure and simple.

---------- Post added at 21:52 ---------- Previous post was at 21:49 ----------

Ps, there are plenty of issues that are for Virgin to sort out with Tivo, just none of the ones you mentioned!

LexDiamond 08-03-2012 22:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35395672)
Agreed on that :D reading itshim comments that may well be a good thing. :)

Haha:D

Strange world where some people are less interested in what VM do than what its hardware does!

denphone 09-03-2012 07:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35395927)
It's got some nice features (e.g. wish lists), but has several flaws, which don't seem to be getting fixed e.g. poor SD picture quality, lip sync issues, poor quality iplayer app that cuts programmes off before the end.

Get the impression that VM just see these as a 'features' of the product and have given up looking for fixes. We'll no doubt have to upgrade to a 'Tivo Plus' box at some point if we want these fixed. They never ironed out the issues with V+, which is why many felt obliged to 'upgrade' to TiVo, which, it turns out, has even more bugs.

Be nice if you praised Virgin once in a while insteading of constantly criticising them.:rolleyes:

heavyside 09-03-2012 08:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35395927)

I have to agree - at least in part. TiVo has poor SD picture quality. I'm sure it would have a lot more friends if this could be improved.

Itshim 09-03-2012 08:30

On the plus side.
1) I am very happy with the way customer services deal with problems ( its NOT there fault the services are weak)
2) I am also happy the TV channels on offer ( I really do not care if there are more HD) & can not see any I would wish for.
However a good TV guide from what ever source & a V+ fill my requirements.
The TiVo box as YET does not deliver the basics of most other PVRs on the market & that's were it falls down. yes it has extras ( a good TV guide or a quick google fill a lot of them) but until it( & they keep saying its going to happen) is up to speed on the Red button & yes reminders it lacks the edge. As I said before have network issues every week.So much so that I report them every time,they seem to go in 4-6 hours but still!!!

Mr K 09-03-2012 09:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35396105)
Be nice if you praised Virgin once in a while insteading of constantly criticising them.:rolleyes:

Why would it be nice ? Why not just say how it is. My first (half !) sentence was a positive, however things are usually never totally perfect or totally crap.

It has to be said however that TiVo has a lot of glitches. It comes up short when compared to its predecessor (V+). Although it has extra (some v. nice) features it is not as good as V+ in several ways (speed, PQ, red button, lock ups, catch up etc). For an 'upgrade' that's disappointing.

Itshim 09-03-2012 09:22

It has to be said however that TiVo has a lot of glitches. It comes up short when compared to its predecessor (V+). Although it has extra (some v. nice) features it is not as good as V+ in several ways (speed, PQ, red button, lock ups, catch up etc). For an 'upgrade' that's disappointing.[/QUOTE]

So true
:Yes:

carlwaring 09-03-2012 09:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by heavyside (Post 35396109)
I have to agree - at least in part. TiVo has poor SD picture quality. I'm sure it would have a lot more friends if this could be improved.

Well it's got over 400k 'friends' at the moment. That's the number of Tivos installed as of the last report from VM; and that figure doubled in three months. So I don't think a "bad SD picture" is really much of a problem at all or we'd've heard more about it. (And I mean in a general sense rather than the self-selecting, negativity-biased forums such as this.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 35396113)
The TiVo box as YET does not deliver the basics of most other PVRs on the market...

What complete (and demonstrable) nonsense. Exactly what "basics" does it not do? :confused: Recording TV shows is the most basic requirement and it does that fine.

You may want red button and reminders, but I don't and, as such, they are not - by definition - 'basic requirements'.

Quote:

As I said before have network issues every week.
Network issues don't affect the basic functions of the Tivo. And, if you're on about VM's broadband in general, then some of us don't have any issues at all. (Though I'm sorry that you do, of course!)

richard1960 09-03-2012 09:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlwaring (Post 35396139)
Well it's got over 400k 'friends' at the moment. That's the number of Tivos installed as of the last report from VM; and that figure doubled in three months. So I don't think a "bad SD picture" is really much of a problem at all or we'd've heard more about it. (And I mean in a general sense rather than the self-selecting, negativity-biased forums such as this.

What complete (and demonstrable) nonsense. Exactly what "basics" does it not do? :confused: Recording TV shows is the most basic requirement and it does that fine.

You may want red button and reminders, but I don't and, as such, they are not - by definition - 'basic requirements'.

Network issues don't affect the basic functions of the Tivo. And, if you're on about VM's broadband in general, then some of us don't have any issues at all. (Though I'm sorry that you do, of course!)

Not going to run through the whole set of arguments again as they are "coming soon" but Carl i believe you do not watch live sport as some of us do on here,i personally do not want to stump up £22.50 a month for sky sports to "record" live sport,as such reminders to me maybe not you are a basic function,the Sky HD box does it i believe the "market leader " box should do too and as i give VM a big wedge every month who is to say i am wrong.?

The mistake you seem to be making is because you do not want Red Button or reminders you seem to imply nobody else should either sorry if i am wrong but that is the way it comes across,anyway a bit academic now as VM have announced they are coming to TiVo Sky Sports Red button already here for us.:)

andy_m 09-03-2012 10:26

I don't see how a feature most useful for those with the premium sports channels could be considered basic, but either way, far from being a stick with which to beat Virgin, reminders is a good an example of a company being prepared to listen to it's customers as you'll ever see.

richard1960 09-03-2012 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35396176)
I don't see how a feature most useful for those with the premium sports channels could be considered basic, but either way, far from being a stick with which to beat Virgin, reminders is a good an example of a company being prepared to listen to it's customers as you'll ever see.

Yes i do agree VM get full marks for listening to customers in my book.:)

Mind you i do use them on lots of other programmes too such as auto reminder for newsnight.;)