Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   TiVo : I love TiVo (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33686135)

southlad 07-03-2012 10:32

I love TiVo

So I was all set to leave VM after the recent price rises, but was offered a great deal by outbound retentions to stay. This included swapping my V+ for a Tivo with free installation and activation.

After just over a week of having Tivo, I'm so glad I stayed with VM.

What I like:

*The look - much more stylish than the V+. Really like the remote too, feels more premium.
*Three Tuners that can record at the same time whilst watching recorded programme. Used to get alot of clashes with V+.
*Suggestions- One of fave features. It's recorded quite a few shows that I didn't even know were on.
*Folders- Makes things less messy with less scrolling.
*YouTube- Nice to have it on big screen.
*Wishlists- Now records all shows/films with my fave actors/directors

I was worried as I'd seen lots of negative comments about tivo on forums (maybe these were before updates) and to be honest prob wouldn't have paid for tivo until it had been running for a few years and ironed out all the problems. But as it was free (with £3 monthly fee instead of £5) I took the plunge.

One question, where the recording lights are I've noticed there is a 4th light. What is this for?

carlwaring 07-03-2012 11:14

Re: I love TIVO

Quote:

Originally Posted by southlad (Post 35394475)
I was worried as I'd seen lots of negative comments about tivo on forums (maybe these were before updates) ....

Well it's still not perfect, of course, but it is better than it was :)

Quote:

One question, where the recording lights are I've noticed there is a 4th light. What is this for?
Future use, maybe? No-one really knows.

LexDiamond 07-03-2012 11:47

Is there a 4th tuner inside that isn't active?

dodgem22 07-03-2012 11:51

its not perfect but I agree it is a lot better than it was I sent my first tivo back but have taken the plunge again and have been re tivod for about 2 weeks now.

It has vastly improved imo than when it first came out.

Stephen 07-03-2012 11:51

If I remember correctly the 4th light is something to do with interactive or VOD?

Digital Fanatic 07-03-2012 12:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35394576)
If I remember correctly the 4th light is something to do with interactive or VOD?

Yeah, it's a download light.

denphone 07-03-2012 13:02

Quote:

So I was all set to leave VM after the recent price rises, but was offered a great deal by outbound retentions to stay. This included swapping my V+ for a Tivo with free installation and activation.

After just over a week of having Tivo, I'm so glad I stayed with VM.

What I like:

*The look - much more stylish than the V+. Really like the remote too, feels more premium.
*Three Tuners that can record at the same time whilst watching recorded programme. Used to get alot of clashes with V+.
*Suggestions- One of fave features. It's recorded quite a few shows that I didn't even know were on.
*Folders- Makes things less messy with less scrolling.
*YouTube- Nice to have it on big screen.
*Wishlists- Now records all shows/films with my fave actors/directors

I was worried as I'd seen lots of negative comments about tivo on forums (maybe these were before updates) and to be honest prob wouldn't have paid for tivo until it had been running for a few years and ironed out all the problems. But as it was free (with £3 monthly fee instead of £5) I took the plunge.

l am glad you are enjoying your new box southend.:)

passingbat 07-03-2012 13:11

Quote:

I was worried as I'd seen lots of negative comments about tivo on forums

You must be refering to the VM Tivo forum; the unofficial 'whingers of the world' forum!

Majordude 07-03-2012 13:19

Good to hear, reminds me of the posts on the TiVo Community forum when I first joined having bought an S1 TiVo.

roger skillin 07-03-2012 15:20

I've had Tivo installed upstairs and downstairs just this morning, upgraded from V+, can't wait to finish work and have a look :)

Huffpuffin 07-03-2012 15:23

I had Tivo installed yesterday, but haven't been able to use it yet! Called up yesterday evening to be told there was a problem registering all installs yesterday. Does anyone have an update on when this problem will be fixed?

Thanks.

Itshim 07-03-2012 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffpuffin (Post 35394811)
I had Tivo installed yesterday, but haven't been able to use it yet! Called up yesterday evening to be told there was a problem registering all installs yesterday. Does anyone have an update on when this problem will be fixed?

Thanks.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Tivo . 3 weeks 3 network problems !:mad:

Its so great - The rate the customer services are dishing out ( not asked for) refunds they will owe me money on the next bill:shocked:

devilincarnate 07-03-2012 16:56

Re: I love TiVo

I love my Danny De"vito":erm:

denphone 07-03-2012 16:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by devilincarnate (Post 35394905)
I love my Danny De"vito":erm:

Bet you got more hair then him though.:D

devilincarnate 07-03-2012 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35394910)
Bet you got more hair then him though.:D

Yes I have but I'am shorter:D:D:D

carlwaring 07-03-2012 19:02

Surely no-one's shorter than he is?! :D

(And I say that as a 5'2" short person!)

devilincarnate 07-03-2012 19:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlwaring (Post 35395063)
Surely no-one's shorter than he is?! :D

(And I say that as a 5'2" short person!)

Where have you come back from mate:) I'am 6'3" but I count backwards:D:D:D

denphone 07-03-2012 19:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by devilincarnate (Post 35395067)
Where have you come back from mate:)

He is one of those aliens from outer space.:D

devilincarnate 07-03-2012 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35395068)

Stop it Den mate, as he has learnt a lot of us on here about the TiVo box and what to do with them.

Huffpuffin 07-03-2012 19:17

....and posts #13 to #19 help me how?

devilincarnate 07-03-2012 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffpuffin (Post 35395082)

Not at all but that is what we are here for:D

---------- Post added at 19:29 ---------- Previous post was at 19:22 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35394656)
Yeah, it's a download light.

Yes it is as when you restart the TiVo box one light (the fourth) will go blue as it is downloading the info needed:)

andy_m 07-03-2012 19:41

Quote:

Light relief?

Huffpuffin 07-03-2012 19:50

There was me thinking this was a serious forum; the puerile antics of certain "members" just show me how wrong you can be.

carlwaring 07-03-2012 19:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35395068)

"Na-noo, na-noo!"
Quote:

Originally Posted by devilincarnate (Post 35395079)
Stop it Den mate...

Don't panic, di. I can take it but I can also give it out ;):D
Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffpuffin (Post 35395119)
There was me thinking this was a serious forum; the puerile antics of certain "members" just show me how wrong you can be.

Seriously? :omg: :wtf: :banghead: :rolleyes:

devilincarnate 07-03-2012 19:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffpuffin (Post 35395119)

We all aim to help but sometimes we just like to have a little fun now and again. Sorry if you think that some are of us are puerile :erm: I have always been wrong on all the forums that I have been on. Even if I have been a member since 2005?

Itshim 08-03-2012 08:34

Quote:

Let me explain in a loud voice the subliminal message of these posts

TIVO IS A JOKE :p:

Vicki 08-03-2012 09:10

If only every was as happy...Taken from November..

Ofcom survey Ofcom's latest customer satisfaction report is out and it doesn't look good for Virgin Media, which languished at the bottom of two lists representing its core business.

The communications watchdog placed the telco in last place for landlines and pay TV. Meanwhile, it was second worst in the fixed broadband stakes, where TalkTalk took the bottom spot.

Virgin Media received a 57 per cent satisfaction rating from its broadband customers, while TalkTalk – seen similarly dragging its sorry arse in July this year – ranked just 2 per cent worse than VM, according to 3,000 punters interviewed (PDF) by Ofcom.

Likewise, BT scored a 57 per cent rating for customer satisfaction with its broadband offering.

"Overall satisfaction with customer service remained lower in the fixed broadband (58 per cent) and landline (61 per cent) markets compared to pay TV (68 per cent) and mobile (69 per cent)," noted the regulator, which published its findings this morning.

Ofcom said BSkyB came out on top with its landline (74 per cent), broadband (64 per cent) and pay TV services (70 per cent).

"Satisfaction with Sky’s customer service was significantly above average, with customers particularly pleased that advisers took their questions or issues seriously, were willing to help resolve issues, and offered a goodwill payment or compensation," said the regulator.

TalkTalk, meanwhile, has clearly taken heed of its record £3m fine for bogus billing that the regulator meted out to the telco in August this year.

"Dissatisfaction with TalkTalk’s customer service for complaints handling fell by 22 percentage points and ratings have also improved in many other areas of customer service since February 2011," Ofcom said.

Stephen 08-03-2012 09:26

Bit of an Old report to quote, although you haven't actually linked to the original article!

Digital Fanatic 08-03-2012 09:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicki (Post 35395304)
If only every was as happy...Taken from November..

Ofcom survey Ofcom's latest customer satisfaction report is out and it doesn't look good for Virgin Media, which languished at the bottom of two lists representing its core business.

The communications watchdog placed the telco in last place for landlines and pay TV. Meanwhile, it was second worst in the fixed broadband stakes, where TalkTalk took the bottom spot.

Virgin Media received a 57 per cent satisfaction rating from its broadband customers, while TalkTalk – seen similarly dragging its sorry arse in July this year – ranked just 2 per cent worse than VM, according to 3,000 punters interviewed (PDF) by Ofcom.

Likewise, BT scored a 57 per cent rating for customer satisfaction with its broadband offering.

"Overall satisfaction with customer service remained lower in the fixed broadband (58 per cent) and landline (61 per cent) markets compared to pay TV (68 per cent) and mobile (69 per cent)," noted the regulator, which published its findings this morning.

Ofcom said BSkyB came out on top with its landline (74 per cent), broadband (64 per cent) and pay TV services (70 per cent).

"Satisfaction with Sky’s customer service was significantly above average, with customers particularly pleased that advisers took their questions or issues seriously, were willing to help resolve issues, and offered a goodwill payment or compensation," said the regulator.

TalkTalk, meanwhile, has clearly taken heed of its record £3m fine for bogus billing that the regulator meted out to the telco in August this year.

"Dissatisfaction with TalkTalk’s customer service for complaints handling fell by 22 percentage points and ratings have also improved in many other areas of customer service since February 2011," Ofcom said.

Might be better if you check the LATEST survey -MOD EDIT- ?

http://media.ofcom.org.uk/2011/12/20...mplaints-data/

Stephen 08-03-2012 09:57

Ok back to the topic please. Off topic posts deleted.

windy 08-03-2012 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 35395298)
Let me explain in a loud voice the subliminal message of these posts

Iam so starting to think the same ...and now sky have said the following..

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/new...n-anytime.html

Come on Virgin for gods sake do something before its to late..most people are now starting to get a bit p****d off now its funny how you announce thing but we dont get to see them for months or in some cases years.GET IT TOGETHER..:mad::mad:

Itshim 08-03-2012 15:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by windy (Post 35395569)
Iam so starting to think the same ...and now sky have said the following..

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/new...n-anytime.html

Come on Virgin for gods sake do something before its to late..most people are now starting to get a bit p****d off now its funny how you announce thing but we dont get to see them for months or in some cases years.GET IT TOGETHER..:mad::mad:

Years, if ever, is closer to the mark. BB upgrade in my area is (not that I care, is the middle to late next year!) And who ever is at fault how long has the red button via BBC be promised - yes I know but it still is yet to happen:rolleyes:. The only reason I have my Tivo is that it saves me money !!!. Other than that it would go back :shocked:. I would happily have a second V+ at the same cost:p: I know it will not ,cannot happen,what a pity.

Digital Fanatic 08-03-2012 15:19

Sky Sports Red button was launched last week and BBC will be with us by April... looking good to me :)

I've also just recently had my SA V+HD box swapped for another TiVo, so I have 2 now... 2 TB of recordable TV :) :romance:

carlwaring 08-03-2012 15:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 35395298)

Quote:

Originally Posted by windy (Post 35395569)
I am so starting to think the same

If that service was anything actually to do with Tivo, you might have a point. But it's not, so you don't.

Tivo is a DVR. That service, plus the related ones that VM already offer to all its customers, are "on demand" which is a completely separate thing.

Tivo is brilliant and Sky will never have anything like it.

windy 08-03-2012 15:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlwaring (Post 35395605)
If that service was anything actually to do with Tivo, you might have a point. But it's not, so you don't.

Tivo is a DVR. That service, plus the related ones that VM already offer to all its customers, are "on demand" which is a completely separate thing.

Virgin have everything to do with it...it will hopefully go onto there tivo service in which they run.
Dont virgin run the ondemand aswell through there service as you put it..yes i think there do.
So its got everything to do with virgin and tivo.

Itshim 08-03-2012 16:01

Quote:

You clearly are missing the point. The service what ever that is, is provided by Virgin. I don`t care were they get it from. Any more than I care which Gas field that comes from.

Virgin offered a service how they deliver is NOT my concern. The fact that is THEY choose to use TIVO. And as a piece of kit it fails on the basics of nearly all DVRs / set top boxes on the market. Virgin make promises that are not kept or are so loose that the mean nothing. I dont care if SKY have anything like it or not. At this stage it begs the question why would they want it? Most people are going to use SKY what ever Virgin bring out & that is a fact live with it.

Its about time that people lost their rose tinted glasses,It could be a great piece of kit. Whom so ever has to sorted out its problems is not my concern. It seems that the infrastructure can not cope with it ( 3 network problems in 3 weeks were I live) outside sources can not work with it.

Yet its promises promises promises.
I still have it but will look again at the end of my contract , I know two of my neighbors have gone over ( YES both had Tivo) I guess the figures will show that is is working for Virgin but I am well aware of the saying lies damn lies and statistics . They need ( as the supplier YES they)to sort it out.

windy 08-03-2012 16:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 35395660)
You clearly are missing the point. The service what ever that is, is provided by Virgin. I don`t care were they get it from. Any more than I care which Gas field that comes from.

Virgin offered a service how they deliver is NOT my concern. The fact that is THEY choose to use TIVO. And as a piece of kit it fails on the basics of nearly all DVRs / set top boxes on the market. Virgin make promises that are not kept or are so loose that the mean nothing. I dont care if SKY have anything like it or not. At this stage it begs the question why would they want it? Most people are going to use SKY what ever Virgin bring out & that is a fact live with it.

Its about time that people lost their rose tinted glasses,It could be a great piece of kit. Whom so ever has to sorted out its problems is not my concern. It seems that the infrastructure can not cope with it ( 3 network problems in 3 weeks were I live) outside sources can not work with it.

Yet its promises promises promises.
I still have it but will look again at the end of my contract , I know two of my neighbors have gone over ( YES both had Tivo) I guess the figures will show that is is working for Virgin but I am well aware of the saying lies damn lies and statistics . They need ( as the supplier YES they)to sort it out.

I totally agree with everything you have said...at the end of the day virgin SHOULD provide a service and not just promises and lies..iam loosing faith with virgin.

muppetman11 08-03-2012 16:15

Quote:

Sky will never have anything like it.

Agreed on that :D reading itshim comments that may well be a good thing. :)

alwaysabear 08-03-2012 16:29

Here is a piece I have come across that some might find interesting. http://moconews.net/article/419-virg...o-years-later/

carlwaring 08-03-2012 16:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by windy (Post 35395655)
Virgin have everything to do with it...it will hopefully go onto there tivo service in which they run.

And what about V+ users; or those with a standard V-box? The point is that it's not a service specific to Tivo. All VM's OD stuff is available to all its customers.
Quote:

Dont virgin run the ondemand aswell through there service as you put it..yes i think there do.
Actually, no they don't. Flimflex ("...a joint venture between Sony Pictures Television and The Walt Disney Company"|link|) runs the PPV film service; the BBC is responsible for it's own iPlayer content; etc.
Quote:

So its got everything to do with virgin and tivo.
Virgin, yes. Tivo, no.

kop32 08-03-2012 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35395599)
Sky Sports Red button was launched last week and BBC will be with us by April... looking good to me :)

I've also just recently had my SA V+HD box swapped for another TiVo, so I have 2 now... 2 TB of recordable TV :) :romance:

And due to the serious lack of HD and quality channels available to you DF you can record hundreds of hours of repeated drivel.......:D:D, light's blue touch paper and stands well back.....

passingbat 08-03-2012 17:50

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by kop32 (Post 35395735)
And due to the serious lack of HD and quality channels available to you DF you can record hundreds of hours of repeated drivel.......:D:D, light's blue touch paper and stands well back.....

Well, at least us Tivo users can record drivel on 3 channels at the same time and set a whishlist for drivel so it records every episode of drivel. When Sky boxes can do that, I may take a look!

Oh and by the way, one man's drivel, is another man's 'best show since they invented TV'

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 35395660)
Its about time that people lost their rose tinted glasses,It could be a great piece of kit. .

Sitting here now and just taken off my rose tinted glasses. Let me just check again.... Yep, still a great piece of kit. Maybe you should have gone to Specsavers....? :D

Digital Fanatic 08-03-2012 18:08

Quote:

no problem, that's your opinion mate... others may differ :)

denphone 08-03-2012 18:38

Quote:

Yes its looking very good DF but as usual we will always have the moaners and grunters.

devilincarnate 08-03-2012 19:02

Quote:

Party time:D:D:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35395800)
no problem, that's your opinion mate... others may differ :)

Mine differ from anyone else:erm:

denphone 08-03-2012 19:06

Quote:

No thats not true.:nono::nono:

Mr K 08-03-2012 21:00

It's got some nice features (e.g. wish lists), but has several flaws, which don't seem to be getting fixed e.g. poor SD picture quality, lip sync issues, poor quality iplayer app that cuts programmes off before the end.

Get the impression that VM just see these as a 'features' of the product and have given up looking for fixes. We'll no doubt have to upgrade to a 'Tivo Plus' box at some point if we want these fixed. They never ironed out the issues with V+, which is why many felt obliged to 'upgrade' to TiVo, which, it turns out, has even more bugs.

andy_m 08-03-2012 21:07

Poor sd picture quality isn't my experience. The only lip sync issues I'm aware of were on ITV 1 hd, which was a known fault across platforms and for ITV to resolve. I player is the BBC's problem.

Mr K 08-03-2012 21:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35395932)
Poor sd picture quality isn't my experience. The only lip sync issues I'm aware of were on ITV 1 hd, which was a known fault across platforms and for ITV to resolve. I player is the BBC's problem.

Always somebody else's problem to solve ??? VM charge us for the sub-standard service , VM's issue to solve.

SD picture quality is poor, many people have reported it, having TiVo for so long can make you accustomed to an inferior picture. My VHD and freeview boxes have far superior PQ on SD channels. The catch up for BBC on VHD is infinitley better than the Iplayer app on TiVo - the quality of which at times is worse than a PC.

andy_m 08-03-2012 21:52

I have v + hd and a Tivo. Both are outputting to different TV's, both of which are the same make and model. There is no difference. That isn't about getting used to it on Tivo, there is simply no difference in my experience. 42"TV's FWIW.

I'm minded to broadly agree with you about I player, but would imagine Virgin can do little more than pressure the BBC, who, after all, are the ones that wrote it. Lip sync on ITV hd, however, is just a case of looking for a stick to beat Virgin with-this issue was widely reported across stb's and platforms. Where is your post blaming Sky for not sorting out the ITV lip sync problem, because they had it too?! ITV's fault, pure and simple.

---------- Post added at 21:52 ---------- Previous post was at 21:49 ----------

Ps, there are plenty of issues that are for Virgin to sort out with Tivo, just none of the ones you mentioned!

LexDiamond 08-03-2012 22:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35395672)
Agreed on that :D reading itshim comments that may well be a good thing. :)

Haha:D

Strange world where some people are less interested in what VM do than what its hardware does!

denphone 09-03-2012 07:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35395927)
It's got some nice features (e.g. wish lists), but has several flaws, which don't seem to be getting fixed e.g. poor SD picture quality, lip sync issues, poor quality iplayer app that cuts programmes off before the end.

Get the impression that VM just see these as a 'features' of the product and have given up looking for fixes. We'll no doubt have to upgrade to a 'Tivo Plus' box at some point if we want these fixed. They never ironed out the issues with V+, which is why many felt obliged to 'upgrade' to TiVo, which, it turns out, has even more bugs.

Be nice if you praised Virgin once in a while insteading of constantly criticising them.:rolleyes:

heavyside 09-03-2012 08:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35395927)

I have to agree - at least in part. TiVo has poor SD picture quality. I'm sure it would have a lot more friends if this could be improved.

Itshim 09-03-2012 08:30

On the plus side.
1) I am very happy with the way customer services deal with problems ( its NOT there fault the services are weak)
2) I am also happy the TV channels on offer ( I really do not care if there are more HD) & can not see any I would wish for.
However a good TV guide from what ever source & a V+ fill my requirements.
The TiVo box as YET does not deliver the basics of most other PVRs on the market & that's were it falls down. yes it has extras ( a good TV guide or a quick google fill a lot of them) but until it( & they keep saying its going to happen) is up to speed on the Red button & yes reminders it lacks the edge. As I said before have network issues every week.So much so that I report them every time,they seem to go in 4-6 hours but still!!!

Mr K 09-03-2012 09:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35396105)
Be nice if you praised Virgin once in a while insteading of constantly criticising them.:rolleyes:

Why would it be nice ? Why not just say how it is. My first (half !) sentence was a positive, however things are usually never totally perfect or totally crap.

It has to be said however that TiVo has a lot of glitches. It comes up short when compared to its predecessor (V+). Although it has extra (some v. nice) features it is not as good as V+ in several ways (speed, PQ, red button, lock ups, catch up etc). For an 'upgrade' that's disappointing.

Itshim 09-03-2012 09:22

It has to be said however that TiVo has a lot of glitches. It comes up short when compared to its predecessor (V+). Although it has extra (some v. nice) features it is not as good as V+ in several ways (speed, PQ, red button, lock ups, catch up etc). For an 'upgrade' that's disappointing.[/QUOTE]

So true
:Yes:

carlwaring 09-03-2012 09:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by heavyside (Post 35396109)
I have to agree - at least in part. TiVo has poor SD picture quality. I'm sure it would have a lot more friends if this could be improved.

Well it's got over 400k 'friends' at the moment. That's the number of Tivos installed as of the last report from VM; and that figure doubled in three months. So I don't think a "bad SD picture" is really much of a problem at all or we'd've heard more about it. (And I mean in a general sense rather than the self-selecting, negativity-biased forums such as this.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 35396113)
The TiVo box as YET does not deliver the basics of most other PVRs on the market...

What complete (and demonstrable) nonsense. Exactly what "basics" does it not do? :confused: Recording TV shows is the most basic requirement and it does that fine.

You may want red button and reminders, but I don't and, as such, they are not - by definition - 'basic requirements'.

Quote:

As I said before have network issues every week.
Network issues don't affect the basic functions of the Tivo. And, if you're on about VM's broadband in general, then some of us don't have any issues at all. (Though I'm sorry that you do, of course!)

richard1960 09-03-2012 09:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlwaring (Post 35396139)
Well it's got over 400k 'friends' at the moment. That's the number of Tivos installed as of the last report from VM; and that figure doubled in three months. So I don't think a "bad SD picture" is really much of a problem at all or we'd've heard more about it. (And I mean in a general sense rather than the self-selecting, negativity-biased forums such as this.

What complete (and demonstrable) nonsense. Exactly what "basics" does it not do? :confused: Recording TV shows is the most basic requirement and it does that fine.

You may want red button and reminders, but I don't and, as such, they are not - by definition - 'basic requirements'.

Network issues don't affect the basic functions of the Tivo. And, if you're on about VM's broadband in general, then some of us don't have any issues at all. (Though I'm sorry that you do, of course!)

Not going to run through the whole set of arguments again as they are "coming soon" but Carl i believe you do not watch live sport as some of us do on here,i personally do not want to stump up £22.50 a month for sky sports to "record" live sport,as such reminders to me maybe not you are a basic function,the Sky HD box does it i believe the "market leader " box should do too and as i give VM a big wedge every month who is to say i am wrong.?

The mistake you seem to be making is because you do not want Red Button or reminders you seem to imply nobody else should either sorry if i am wrong but that is the way it comes across,anyway a bit academic now as VM have announced they are coming to TiVo Sky Sports Red button already here for us.:)

andy_m 09-03-2012 10:26

I don't see how a feature most useful for those with the premium sports channels could be considered basic, but either way, far from being a stick with which to beat Virgin, reminders is a good an example of a company being prepared to listen to it's customers as you'll ever see.

richard1960 09-03-2012 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35396176)
I don't see how a feature most useful for those with the premium sports channels could be considered basic, but either way, far from being a stick with which to beat Virgin, reminders is a good an example of a company being prepared to listen to it's customers as you'll ever see.

Yes i do agree VM get full marks for listening to customers in my book.:)

Mind you i do use them on lots of other programmes too such as auto reminder for newsnight.;)

carlwaring 09-03-2012 10:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard1960 (Post 35396152)
The mistake you seem to be making is because you do not want Red Button or reminders you seem to imply nobody else should either...

Of course, you make the same mistake but the other way round ;)

denphone 09-03-2012 10:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlwaring (Post 35396189)

Sorry carl l am in Richards camp on this and the sooner we get more button services and reminders the better in my mind.:)

carlwaring 09-03-2012 10:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard1960 (Post 35396182)
Mind you i do use them on lots of other programmes too such as auto reminder for newsnight.;)

Live sports I get (though I would have thought that recording it will always be preferable as what happens if you're not there to see the reminder?;)) but setting one for "Newsnight"; seriously? Again, just record it then you don't have to be there at exactly 10:32pm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35396191)
Sorry carl l am in Richards camp on this and the sooner we get more button services and reminders the better in my mind.:)

Fine, but it's still a "mistake" on either side to assume that you are right and they are wrong :)

roger skillin 09-03-2012 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35395942)
A
SD picture quality is poor, many people have reported it, having TiVo for so long can make you accustomed to an inferior picture. My VHD and freeview boxes have far superior PQ on SD channels. The catch up for BBC on VHD is infinitley better than the Iplayer app on TiVo - the quality of which at times is worse than a PC.

Funny, i've had the V+ for a few years and have just last week upgraded to TIVO and the first thing i noticed was how much better the SD looked than with the Samsung V+ and this is with 2 separate boxes

Itshim 09-03-2012 13:02

Again no problem with the picture here.

The network issues are with & on the Tivo box ( what ever the cause that is the fact) Very few if any problems before it was introduced, on BB. No link I find that had to believe, seems to be a connection here. BB fine before Tivo came. BB & Tivo down at some point nearly every week.
As speed upgrades are months if not a year away here I guess that`s not the cause.
I see a pattern. OK no proof but its strange.
It can not deliver what the " poor, basic and outdated " V+ can how is that cutting edge !
My advise to any Non Tivo customers is
a) just wait
b) If you can reduce the cost, try it (£10 a month off my bill by having it means I live with it.)
Or
c) Get it but be prepared to be disappointed .You may not, but do not say that some people have not warned you.

Stephen 10-03-2012 16:05

Don't listen to any of the above. Many many happy TiVo customers, myself included.

People need to stop comparing TiVo to V+ it's a totally different product and there for has slightly different set of standard features. It's not that TiVo is missing them or VM left them out, however VM are working together with TiVo to add new things to the software and so far already have made quite a few changes.

Digital Fanatic 10-03-2012 16:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35397075)
Don't listen to any of the above. Many many happy TiVo customers, myself included.

People need to stop comparing TiVo to V+ it's a totally different product and there for has slightly different set of standard features. It's not that TiVo is missing them or VM left them out, however VM are working together with TiVo to add new things to the software and so far already have made quite a few changes.

Exactly! :tu:

richard1960 10-03-2012 16:44

Quote:

I am not comparing TiVo to V+ i like the TiVo box,but part of the fuction in my mind is for the box to make my life easier as a pay TV subscriber therefore any features that will do this are quite welcome.

After all when Sky develope a new box they to my knowledge do not leave off features that made their current boxes popular,and of course the key point is any added features do NOT have to be used by those that say there are no need for them to be there,i will promise not to twist their arm to make them do so.;)

---------- Post added at 16:44 ---------- Previous post was at 16:42 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlwaring (Post 35396189)

Not at all Carl the reason TiVo is getting said features is because VM have listened to their customers! and i promise Carl you will not have to use the features you say are redundant i promise.;)

passingbat 10-03-2012 18:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 35396305)
It can not deliver what the " poor, basic and outdated " V+ can how is that cutting edge !

Try setting a whishlist on the V+

Recording a third channel

Recording more than 20 hrs HD or 80 hrs SD

Be certain that V+ wil pick up a series link automatically for the next season of your favourite show

Automatically find and record a repeat showing (if there is one) for show that didn't get recorded because you already had three shows recording (make that only two shows recording on V+)

Automatically record similar shows to the ones you already like

Intelligently search for a a show, and instantly get options to set a series link, or wishlist or watch from on demand if available

Get full series and season episode listings for a show.

Browse upcoming content on TV and On Demand by genre

Wow, how 'un cutting edge' is the V+!

OK The V+ has remiders and red button, both of which are due to be added to Tivo.

denphone 10-03-2012 19:10

Quote:

Well said Stephen.:tu:

Itshim 10-03-2012 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35397167)

Recording a third channel unless you watch no use

Recording more than 20 hrs HD or 80 hrs SD never needed to

Be certain that V+ wil pick up a series link automatically for the next season of your favourite show And Tivo does DONT THINK SO

Automatically find and record a repeat showing (if there is one) for show that didn't get recorded because you already had three shows recording (make that only two shows recording on V+) WHY

Automatically record similar shows to the ones you already like NO THANKS

Intelligently search for a a show, and instantly get options to set a series link, or wishlist or watch from on demand if available MAKES A MESS OF IT

Get full series and season episode listings for a show. So does google

Browse upcoming content on TV and On Demand by genre OK

Wow, how 'un cutting edge' is the V+!

OK The V+ has remiders and red button, both of which are due to be added to Tivo.

Tried wish list showed shows - none of which it could show WOW THATS GREAT:p:

carlwaring 10-03-2012 20:34

Would you care to try that again in actual English as I didn't understand a word :confused:

Itshim 11-03-2012 07:30

Went to wish list entered a show DO YOU understand that.
Give a list so far so good .yes

Told me about them OK
None could be shown - I can do all that with a quick ( and its not that) Web search!

No its a BOG standard PVR with alot of u/s add on`s

carlwaring 11-03-2012 09:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 35397351)
Went to wish list entered a show DO YOU understand that.

Okay. What exactly did you enter? I am happy to try and re-create it here; just so see if I have the same problem

Quote:

Give a list so far so good .yes Told me about them OK
No need to be so patronising :rolleyes:

Quote:

None could be shown
Perhaps there weren't any programmes matching what you entered. Did you spell it correctly? If it was an actor or director wishlist then you're better doing a general search for the name and setting up the wishlist that way because the names have to be entered as "lastname, firstname" to work properly.

Quote:

No its a BOG standard PVR with alot of u/s add on`s
No. It's the most advanced DVR available today. However, it is really just a computer, so the GIGO rule still applies.

Stuart 11-03-2012 13:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 35397193)
Tried wish list showed shows - none of which it could show WOW THATS GREAT:p:

If I may answer..

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35397167)

Recording a third channel unless you watch no use

Depends how much you record.

Quote:

Recording more than 20 hrs HD or 80 hrs SD never needed to

Do you have a family? With kids? If so, you may get to record that much? Even if you don't, you have the option.
Quote:

Be certain that V+ wil pick up a series link automatically for the next season of your favourite show And Tivo does DONT THINK SO
Actually, and I speak as a long term Tivo user here (since 2002), it does..

Quote:

Automatically find and record a repeat showing (if there is one) for show that didn't get recorded because you already had three shows recording (make that only two shows recording on V+) WHY
Why wouldn't it? Or are you seriously suggesting that you set shows to record when you are not really bothered whether you see them or not?

Quote:

Automatically record similar shows to the ones you already like NO THANKS

Hence you can disable that if need be.
Quote:

Intelligently search for a a show, and instantly get options to set a series link, or wishlist or watch from on demand if available MAKES A MESS OF IT
Any particular examples of this? It works when I try it.
Quote:

Get full series and season episode listings for a show. So does google
Google doesn't integrate with on demand, or allow you to set recordings for future showings.

Itshim 19-03-2012 15:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35397511)
If I may answer..

Depends how much you record. Clearly not enough or is that hours in day

Do you have a family? With kids? If so, you may get to record that much? Even if you don't, you have the option.See above Even I can remember the shows watched on Nic, Disney etc they repeat that often

Why wouldn't it? Or are you seriously suggesting that you set shows to record when you are not really bothered whether you see them or not?
Manage to see them with out this

Hence you can disable that if need be. Why should I have too

Any particular examples of this? It works when I try it.

Google doesn't integrate with on demand, or allow you to set recordings for future showings.

BUT it shows the information that's all I require.

TiVo - "created by nerds for nerds Joe public was an afterthought ( I did not think anyone would want that syndrome) "

Stuart 19-03-2012 16:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 35402317)
BUT it shows the information that's all I require.

TiVo - "created by nerds for nerds Joe public was an afterthought ( I did not think anyone would want that syndrome) "

Google also requires you to use another device. However, if you are happy doing that....

Anyway on to your other points.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35397511)
If I may answer..

Depends how much you record. Clearly not enough or is that hours in day

You still have the option though. You don't with V+

Quote:

Do you have a family? With kids? If so, you may get to record that much? Even if you don't, you have the option.See above Even I can remember the shows watched on Nic, Disney etc they repeat that often

And what if you want to watch something that is not repeated, but you can't watch it at the time? You have more space in which to record. Not an issue with SD, but if you (as I do) record mainly HD stuff, then space is a concern.
Quote:

Manage to see them with out this
So, you will actively search out a repeat of the program? Why bother when the device can do it for you?

Quote:

Hence you can disable that if need be. Why should I have too
You don't. Last I checked you lose nothing by leaving this option enabled as the Tivo records them into a sort of buffer, seperate from the user selected recordings, and they are only kept if the user opts to.

Yes, Tivo is just a PVR. However, it's a PVR that (IMO) makes it a lot easier to manage recordings on many channels.

Itshim 19-03-2012 16:27

Yes, Tivo is just a PVR. However, it's a PVR that (IMO) makes it a lot easier to manage recordings on many channels.[/QUOTE]
I quite agree my point is that a lot of people do not need or want to . Good luck to those that do I would not seek to stop them.

In my case I tend to watch on time shift avoiding ads. Record for watching days later is not something I do much. Exception is Castle as the Boss hates it & I want to watch it on the bigger ( small by peoples sets here) TV.

I hope that the promised RED button does come soon & reminders follow quickly afterwards then it will do fine for me.

carlwaring 19-03-2012 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 35402359)

Firstly, if you want to make this an actual sig, then do so. You won't have to copy/paste it every time then. Oh, and make it grammatically correct, too :)

Secondly it's actually complete and utter nonsense anyway :rolleyes:

devilincarnate 19-03-2012 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlwaring (Post 35402406)
Oh, and make it grammatically correct, too :)

English teacher in the house:D:D:D

carlwaring 19-03-2012 19:15

Not at all. You just don't want to show yourself up every time you post it, do you? :D

devilincarnate 19-03-2012 19:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlwaring (Post 35402456)
Not at all. You just don't want to show yourself up every time you post it, do you? :D

I do that all the time Carl:D

Hugh 19-03-2012 19:20

Back on topic, please.....

carlwaring 20-03-2012 11:25

This is why I love Tivo!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major dude (Post 9002567)
Just thought I would share this. I missed out on the last series of '24' day 8 when it was first broadcast on Sky 1 as I did not have access to this Channel at the time. Anyway I had set up a wishlist for 24 and Kiefer Sutherland and.........I had a nice surprise when, on Saturday, TiVo started recording the back to back showing of this series on Sky 2. I picked up on this Saturday evening but realised that only 5 episodes were being kept so I quickly changed the wishlist setting to keep all episodes and went into recently deleted and recovered all those episodes that had been deleted.

Now I have the complete series Day 8 recorded. Brilliant:D

Itshim 20-03-2012 11:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlwaring (Post 35402652)
This is why I love Tivo!

A clear + point. I never said it did not have some :)

carlwaring 20-03-2012 12:01

And the plus points all outweigh the minus ones; all of which have either something that is actually better (like for reminders) or a good-enough work-around (like for lack of dynamic EPG.) That some people are using these lack of certain features as a stick to beat the Tivo with (even though there is nothing to beat it!) continues to be somewhat perplexing. :confused:

No-one's ever said it's perfect, but it's certainly nowhere near as bad as some people like to make out.

Itshim 20-03-2012 12:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlwaring (Post 35402668)
And the plus points all outweigh the minus ones; all of which have either something that is actually better (like for reminders) or a good-enough work-around (like for lack of dynamic EPG.) That some people are using these lack of certain features as a stick to beat the Tivo with (even though there is nothing to beat it!) continues to be somewhat perplexing. :confused: For me and clearly others NO they don`t :p:

No-one's ever said it's perfect, but it's certainly nowhere near as bad as some people like to make out.

I will go along with not as good as some make out;)

denphone 20-03-2012 12:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlwaring (Post 35402668)

l echo those sentiments totally.:tu:

richard1960 20-03-2012 12:38

I like my TiVo box too it is better then my V+ but however much i like the box itself,does not mean to say inprovements cannot be made.:)

carlwaring 20-03-2012 12:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 35402674)
I will go along with not as good as some make out;)

Which is not what I actually said at all :rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 12:59 ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard1960 (Post 35402680)
I like my TiVo box too it is better then my V+ but however much i like the box itself,does not mean to say inprovements cannot be made.:)

Absolutely. No-one has ever said otherwise.

Itshim 20-03-2012 13:15

[QUOTE=carlwaring;35402691]Which is not what I actually said at all :rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 12:59 ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 ----------

I know :rolleyes:

carlwaring 20-03-2012 13:45

So why say I did? :confused:

Itshim 20-03-2012 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlwaring (Post 35402715)
So why say I did? :confused:

:rolleyes:

clinteastman 20-03-2012 17:20

I see that not a lot has changed here!

Itshim 21-03-2012 09:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by clinteastman (Post 35402849)
I see that not a lot has changed here!

So true and is it not great fun :p:

carlwaring 21-03-2012 22:51

Another reason to love Tivo. Apparently, a Sky+ Series Link can't even handle a simple change in broadcast day/time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig (Post 57228648)
Just a warning for those, like me that have been recording The Good Wife early Friday morning on More 4 / +1.

It's now no longer in the schedule at that time, and no replacement has appeared in the Sky planner.

So, reset those links.

Next episode now either:

22/3 at 21:00
or
27/3 at 23:05

Or did I mis-understand something? :confused:

Itshim 22-03-2012 08:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlwaring (Post 35403630)
Another reason to love Tivo. Apparently, a Sky+ Series Link can't even handle a simple change in broadcast day/time.

Yet again your logic defies belief . It may or not be a plus point of one over the other - but love an inanimate object because of it . :confused:

carlwaring 22-03-2012 08:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 35403724)
Yet again your logic defies belief.

What was wrong with my logic in this instance?

Quote:

It may or not be a plus point of one over the other..
I would have thought that being able to handle a change in broadcast day/time would be one of those "basic functions of a DVR" that you always trumpet Tivo as not having. So when I point out that a competitor's product doesn't do it whereas Tivo does, shouldn't you be agreeing with me instead of sitting on the fence claiming 'faulty logic''? :confused:

borrissey 22-03-2012 10:41

Im a big fan of TiVO that's why I got a 2nd one.

Just waiting for reminders now..

richard1960 22-03-2012 10:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by borrissey (Post 35403770)
Im a big fan of TiVO that's why I got a 2nd one.

Just waiting for reminders now..

Arrrrrgggggggggggg! no you have mentioned the "reminder" word.:D:D:D:D

Richard now ducks whilst awaiting some flack.:Sprint::Sprint::LOL: