Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB) (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33702913)

Ken W 10-05-2016 09:17

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Virgin Media will launch a new set-top box as it looks to compete with the recently-introduced Sky Q.

According to the Daily Telegraph, Virgin Media intends to bring the new device to market at the start of 2017, but it may try to make it available in time for the Christmas period.

denphone 10-05-2016 09:29

Re: Virgin Media will launch a new set-top box

Confirmed in the press release this morning.

http://www.libertyglobal.com/pdf/pre...port-FINAL.pdf

Stephen 10-05-2016 09:43

Its not just a new STB but a new platform as well. I am betting it will be Horizon.

Quote:

Enhancing our TV platform in the U.K.:
* Added new on-demand programming in Q1
* Working on further improvements to user-interface in the second half of 2016
* Preparing to launch new set-top box platform

OLD BOY 10-05-2016 10:02

Horizon is likely to be the successor to the new Tivo. I would be surprised if they launched both boxes at around the same time, and I think it likely that their existing contract with Tivo would prevent that from happening anyway.

muppetman11 10-05-2016 10:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35836636)
Horizon is likely to be the successor to the new Tivo. I would be surprised if they launched both boxes at around the same time, and I think it likely that their existing contract with Tivo would prevent that from happening anyway.

The above quote from Stephen says preparing to launch a new set top box platform suggesting the new box won't be a TiVo.

denphone 10-05-2016 10:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35836636)

Well Stephen is usually in the know with these things so l would take what he says seriously OB.

steveh 10-05-2016 10:15

While it would seem less optimal to launch a new TiVo box at this stage, the features that have been talked about so far like "Series Link Plus" seemed to fit in more with the TiVo platform though than with current Horizon capabilities. Plans can of course change and the indications before were that the new box would launch a lot earlier.

oliver1948uk 10-05-2016 10:18

I thought series link plus (and some other improvements) was an upgrade coming this year to the existing Tivo

OLD BOY 10-05-2016 10:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35836639)
Well Stephen is usually in the know with these things so l would take what he says seriously OB.

I'm not saying Stephen is wrong about Horizon, just that the launch of the new Tivo is likely to come first.

'Preparing to launch' is different from 'will launch'.

denphone 10-05-2016 10:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveh (Post 35836641)
While it would seem less optimal to launch a new TiVo box at this stage, the features that have been talked about so far like "Series Link Plus" seemed to fit in more with the TiVo platform though than with current Horizon capabilities. Plans can of course change and the indications before were that the new box would launch a lot earlier.

You have to remember the timelines for launching new STB's have to be very fluid as there are many little things that can set it back sometimes.

OLD BOY 10-05-2016 10:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by oliver1948uk (Post 35836642)
I thought series link plus (and some other improvements) was an upgrade coming this year to the existing Tivo

Yes, that is correct.

muppetman11 10-05-2016 10:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35836643)
I'm not saying Stephen is wrong about Horizon, just that the launch of the new Tivo is likely to come first.

They haven't mentioned the launch of a new Tivo have they ? If so where ?

All the wording suggests the new box is a completely new platform hence Stephens comment about Horizon.

Stephen 10-05-2016 11:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35836643)

Have VM actually stated that there is a new TiVo coming?? Or have people just assumed that is what is coming?

The bit I quoted actually states a new platform so to me that is not a new TiVo.

1andrew1 10-05-2016 11:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35836646)
They haven't mentioned the launch of a new Tivo have they ? If so where ?

All the wording suggests the new box is a completely new platform hence Stephens comment about Horizon.

What's also quite interesting is that April's Telegraph article suggested that a new box would be launched followed by an update to the distribution system to facilitate Horizon. If the new box was a Horizon box, surely this would take place before the box was launched.
Quote:

At the turn of the year it will launch a new set-top box to rival Sky Q, with ultra-high-definition pictures and a similar ability to sling programmes to tablets and smartphones around the home.
Beyond that, there will be a major overhaul of the ageing plumbing that powers Virgin Media’s broadcasting, to allow it to shift to Liberty Global’s next generation distribution system, Horizon, which is already in use elsewhere in Europe.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...sform-its-neg/

I appreciate that VM does not want to give too much confidential information away hence the possible ambiguity. And it could be that the info Media Boy posted about a new Tivo pre-Olympics was a red herring fed to him to confuse the competition!

denphone 10-05-2016 12:12

Indeed l think you have hit the nail on the head Andrew.:)

muppetman11 10-05-2016 12:34

Let's hope they improve the Horizon box and it's remote as both look seriously ugly.:D

A remote with a keyboard , tv email anyone.

pengedragon 10-05-2016 12:38

Quote:

That will all change, he adds, beginning this week. The user interface will get an overhaul to make its menus slicker and more picture-based.
this week ?

interesting piece anyway, lets see where it leads

denphone 10-05-2016 12:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35836673)
Let's hope they improve the Horizon box and it's remote as both look seriously ugly.:D

Now now MM behave yourself.:D

Gavin-D 10-05-2016 13:20

New 4K box launching later this year

http://www.techradar.com/news/televi...ampaign=buffer

toady 10-05-2016 13:25

According to the latest article from Engadget today

http://www.engadget.com/2016/05/10/v...k-set-top-box/

"There will be a new set-top box coming later this year, and it will support Ultra High Definition video," a Virgin Media spokesperson told What HiFi. "Before that we will be updating the existing TiVO set-top box to make its menus slicker and more picture-based."

passingbat 10-05-2016 14:54

I hope they slip one more new Tivo box in. Goodbye Whishlists when Horizon finally launches.

Is the current Horizon a 4k box? I don't think so (but can't be bothered to check :erm:). If that is the case, then it is pointless making comparisons with the current Horizon box as it will be a new box for 4k.

denphone 10-05-2016 15:07

Well we shall see PB on what transpires in the coming 6 to 9 months.

mike_gain 10-05-2016 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35836705)
Well we shall see PB on what transpires in the coming 6 to 9 months.

I'd say we'll get a software update for the existing TiVO platform before the Olympics. Then we'll get some sort of new TiVO platform, supporting 4K, the tail end of this year/ start of next year.

A move to Horizon will be a few years away.

passingbat 10-05-2016 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_gain (Post 35836714)
I'd say we'll get a software update for the existing TiVO platform before the Olympics. Then we'll get some sort of new TiVO platform, supporting 4K, the tail end of this year/ start of next year.

A move to Horizon will be a few years away.

I sincerely hope you are right; that's how the Telegraph article read to me.

Horizon 10-05-2016 16:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35836633)
Its not just a new STB but a new platform as well. I am betting it will be Horizon.

That's what I thought and said in the other thread, but someone said a few months ago that they were testing a new tivo.???

I find it hard to believe that Liberty would want one technology, its own, for all its cablecos except VM.

As a side note, Vodafone use TIVO for their cablecos.

muppetman11 10-05-2016 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35836717)
That's what I thought and said in the other thread, but someone said a few months ago that they were testing a new tivo.???

I find it hard to believe that Liberty would want one technology, its own, for all its cablecos except VM.

You would also have to wonder why it would launch a new Tivo next year if the plan is to move to Horizon. The life cycle of a STB is generally at least 4-5 years.

Horizon 10-05-2016 17:32

....that's exactly what I said too on the other thread.

The Horizon tech is no spring chicken in itself now. If VM were to move to it "in a few years", Liberty would by then be moving onto the next thing, so why bother?

As I said before, I reckon they'll update the current tivo to hopefully make it work better, but all new stuff will be on Horizon.

OLD BOY 10-05-2016 17:41

Well, who knows for sure? If a new all singing and dancing Horizon box is what they are planning, let's hope it is a 2MB!

1andrew1 10-05-2016 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35836717)

I believe that's just ONO Spain where Vodafone inherited the Tivo contract by acquiring ONO.

---------- Post added at 18:01 ---------- Previous post was at 17:56 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35836732)
You would also have to wonder why it would launch a new Tivo next year if the plan is to move to Horizon. The life cycle of a STB is generally at least 4-5 years.

There's infrastructure investment required to support Horizon which is already in place for Tivo. So maybe logical to introduce a new Tiivo now and in a few years' time introduce a new cloud-based solution in all territories.

---------- Post added at 18:08 ---------- Previous post was at 18:01 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35836673)

I hope they hire a designer for future boxes, although they manage to make it look a bit nicer in this guide. https://www.upc-cablecom.ch/content/...ser-manual.pdf

kandinsky 10-05-2016 18:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35836762)
Well, who knows for sure? If a new all singing and dancing Horizon box is what they are planning, let's hope it is a 2MB!

That will be just about enough space to record the little white dot on your TV at the end of the night.....

:D

OLD BOY 10-05-2016 19:19

The more I read about the Horizon box, the less I like it.

http://richardbloomfield.ie/2014/01/...n-set-top-box/

I know this was written 2 years ago, but VM viewers in Ireland are very dissatisfied with it. We can only hope that the new platform resolves the problems, because this is just not good enough.

denphone 10-05-2016 19:33

Well l hope we don't have something like that or else all hell will be let loose by some members on this forum one suspects.;)

Horizon 10-05-2016 21:07

Been doing a bit of digging and have found some older articles which I am posting here as I thought it was worthwhile putting all we know about new equipment in one place.

A new router called "Connect" is on the way and it has a VM logo on it according to this article:

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2015/...w-connect-box/

Arris have been working on a 4k gateway with Liberty which looks like it will be deployed in the UK:

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2015/...ty-4k-gateway/

Arris has been working on a router too called Touchstone (different from Connect, or the same???):

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2015/...stone-gateway/

----

This is why I think we might get Horizon, as this article talks about Liberty's RDK software spec that its rolling out and the article makes clear that Liberty want economies of scale with regards to equipment:

http://www.multichannel.com/news/tec...t-cable/384141

Finally, a brand new news snippet from today's investor presentation has given a clue what some of Liberty's cablecos might get. No idea if it applies here, but Liberty are launching a new box called EOS with the Horizon UI (user interface) on it. The Horizon UI will get upgraded this year and Liberty are launching a cloud based service called Horizon Lite. This news snippet is from page 8 of here:

http://www.libertyglobal.com/pdf/pre...tion-FINAL.pdf

Very annoyingly, Liberty have left off the webcast off their site, so I can't listen to it. Perhaps there was actually something interesting in it for once....

---------- Post added at 21:07 ---------- Previous post was at 20:29 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35836778)
The more I read about the Horizon box, the less I like it.

http://richardbloomfield.ie/2014/01/...n-set-top-box/

I know this was written 2 years ago, but VM viewers in Ireland are very dissatisfied with it. We can only hope that the new platform resolves the problems, because this is just not good enough.

But he updated that post saying a software upgrade had occurred and it had improved things. And there have been more upgrades since then.

Perhaps someone should get on a Ryan Air flight over to Ireland, hunt down a box and see what its like.:D

VM Ireland and UK are one company now, so its only a matter of time until services and equipment are aligned too.

Stephen 10-05-2016 22:16

That new connect router is out already. It is the Superhub 3..

Horizon 10-05-2016 22:42

ahh, I should venture into the broadband section more often!

1andrew1 10-05-2016 23:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35836793)
Finally, a brand new news snippet from today's investor presentation has given a clue what some of Liberty's cablecos might get. No idea if it applies here, but Liberty are launching a new box called EOS with the Horizon UI (user interface) on it. The Horizon UI will get upgraded this year and Liberty are launching a cloud based service called Horizon Lite. This news snippet is from page 8 of here:

http://www.libertyglobal.com/pdf/pre...tion-FINAL.pdf

Very annoyingly, Liberty have left off the webcast off their site, so I can't listen to it. Perhaps there was actually something interesting in it for once....

Interesting find, particularly as Tivo is not mentioned on the 2016 Product Roadmap. Though of course this could mean it's in the 2017 Roadmap. ;)

Horizon 11-05-2016 01:21

.... from the webcast, Mike Fries says this: "EOS is the project name for our cloud based set top box that we're going to be trialing later this year. It's going to be faster, cheaper and provide more functionality than today's Horizon box".

---------- Post added at 23:59 ---------- Previous post was at 23:51 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35836825)
Interesting find, particularly as Tivo is not mentioned on the 2016 Product Roadmap. Though of course this could mean it's in the 2017 Roadmap. ;)

I'm still listening to the webcast, but my guess is now is that we won't get the Horizon box. They'll stick with tivo in the UK until they're ready to go down the cloud based route, then its goodbye stbs, well almost. They'll still need some sort of mini boxes for customers to connect to the cloud service.

---------- Post added 11-05-2016 at 01:21 ---------- Previous post was 10-05-2016 at 23:59 ----------

Just to copy my post from the other thread here too as its relevant:

That's the million dollar question, which, I think Liberty/VM has answered at the end of the webcast. EVERYONE should listen to it. I'll state the facts, then give my opinion.

Facts:

Tom Mockbridge, VM boss says this, "we are committed to the 2nd half of this year to deploy EOS in the United Kingdom. We'll put some tivo software on it, that'll give us a lot more functionality for our customers."

"We're very confident that with the tv launch/relaunch that we have coming through this year, that we'll remain very competitive with Sky."

"So far we've seen very little impact from the Sky Q which is of course a very expensive decoder and we're very focussed on improving the offer we have there and EOS is going to be a big part of that."

And to finish the webcast, another Liberty exec says, "...this new box is going to be a 4k box, a pretty high powered box that will get a refreshed tivo UI on it later this year. And then in following years our goal is to get Horizon across all of Europe and the EOS box, this new 4k box is going to be the engine for next generation for video for Liberty."

Opinion:

Mike Fries said at the beginning of the webcast that EOS is a project name for a cloud based set top box. At the end of the webcast, Tom Mockbridge states that SkyQ is a expensive decoder.

VM will NOT launch a new physical 4k box, it'll be cloud based!!

Hugh 11-05-2016 08:46

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/1375...-take-on-sky-q
Quote:

Virgin Media is soon to replace its current TiVo box as the flagship set-top-box in its TV line-up. There is a new device coming in the next few months that will also be powered by TiVo, but capable of 4K video output.

In its first quarter financial results for 2016, the company revealed that it is "preparing to launch [a] new set-top-box platform".

A spokeswoman confirmed to Pocket-lint that the box will continue the company's partnership with TiVo: "Virgin Media plans to launch a new TV set-top box later this year. It will be TiVo-based and 4K ready," she said.

denphone 11-05-2016 09:08

l for one am glad that for now it will be TiVo based as l am certainly not convinced by the Horizon box by a long way and as the old saying goes its 'better the devil you know than the devil you don't' in my opinion.

OLD BOY 11-05-2016 13:43

So if I get this right, the new 4K box with Tivo UI will be out later this year, and then subsequently (in a few years), the UK will have access to the new Horizon cloud based box, which starts trialling later this year.

Is this how you all read it?

http://www.digitaltveurope.net/53829...or-all-europe/

Liberty Global to create single advanced set-top for all Europe

Liberty Global is to consolidate its next-generation set-top platforms, including ultimately that of Virgin Media in the UK, as part of a project dubbed ‘Eos’ by the company.

Eos is in turn part of the wider strategic plan, formerly known as ‘Liberty 3.0’ and now, according to president and CEO Mike Fries, to be known as Liberty Go. This will see the company reduce costs across the board through, among other things, common technology platforms, and build revenue through marketing advanced services.

Speaking to analysts as Liberty Global reported strong first quarter results yesterday, Fries described Eos as “a set-top we plan to roll out everywhere at some point, including in that market [the UK]”.

Virgin Media announced yesterday that it planned to roll out a new 4K-ready box that will be based on its existing TiVo platform. Speaking on the analyst call, Liberty’s chief technology officer Balan Nair said that this would be a “pretty high-powered box that will get a refreshed TiVo UI on it later this year” but added that “our goal is to get Horizon across all of Europe” ultimately, referring to the advanced set-top platform already in use in multiple Liberty Global markets. He said that Eos would be the “engine for next generation video” for the company.

Virgin Media CEO Tom Mockridge, also on the call, said that the TiVo-based box would “give us a lot more functionality for our customers” and enable the operator to remain competitive with Sky. The latter has recently launched its own high-end box, Sky Q.

Mockridge said that Eos would be “a big part” of the company’s plan to improve its TV offering in the future.

Earlier on the call, Fries described Eos as a “project name for our cloud-based set-top box” that would be “trialing later this year” and would be “faster, cheaper and provide more functionality than today’s Horizon box”.

He said that Liberty’s new Wi-Fi router, the Connect Box, which is now available in multiple European markets, “sets us even further apart from the competition” by providing up to 1Gbps across in-home networks. “This is a big issue,” he said. “When you’ve driven average customer speeds up to 100Mbps but you don’t control the in-home WiFi router, customers complain.”

Touching on the broader Liberty Go project, Fries said that this would encompass measures to increase revenue as well as trim costs, with about 60% of the value creation coming from the revenue side. On the cost side, the company is centralising elements of its operation including product development, core network management, IT and its supply chain, including consolidation of its customer care operations.

Increasing revenue will be based on upping prices thanks to new products based on Horizon, WiFi and faster broadband speeds. The company is targeting building out to seven million new homes over three years, having added 210,000 new build homes in the first quarter.

Fries did not explain the origin of the Eos name on the call. In Greek mythology, Eos is the goddess of dawn. Coincidentally or not, it is also the name of media mogul Barry Diller’s private yacht, one of the largest three-masted rigged schooners afloat and a vessel much admired by Fries’ boss, Liberty Global chairman John Malone.

muppetman11 11-05-2016 13:50

Does it come with a free Canon Camera.:D

Ken W 11-05-2016 14:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35836909)
Does it come with a free Canon Camera.:D

And a life time Free subscription to all Virgin services. :D

Mad Max 11-05-2016 15:51

I'll believe it when i see it, coming soon.................................:rolleyes:

passingbat 11-05-2016 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35836937)
I'll believe it when i see it, coming soon.................................:rolleyes:

We all knew that the cloud was the next significant step; trying to figure out exactly when VM would make that step was the difficult bit.

I guess based on what we've gleaned (kudos to Horizon on that front), it appears that the cloud is 'Coming Sooner' than many people thought.

Mad Max 11-05-2016 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35836940)
We all knew that the cloud was the next significant step; trying to figure out exactly when VM would make that step was the difficult bit.

I guess based on what we've gleaned (kudos to Horizon on that front), it appears that the cloud is 'Coming Sooner' than many people thought.

So will this mean that we will not have the need for a TiVo? will we just be issued with a smaller device to access "the cloud"?

1andrew1 11-05-2016 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35837004)
So will this mean that we will not have the need for a TiVo? will we just be issued with a smaller device to access "the cloud"?

You can pay extra for a smaller device connected to the cloud that will offer several advantages over the current set-top boxes one of them presumably being speed. :) In the UK it will have Tivo software on it and in Europe, Horizon software.

passingbat 11-05-2016 21:02

Quote:

I guess so. If content is in the cloud, I guess an Amazon Fire TV type box would do the job?

There are good and aspects of cloud versus hard disc PVR/streaming service boxes IMHO. It all depends on the rules that are set around the cloud content (e.g. length of time available).

spankysmagicpian 11-05-2016 21:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35836940)

VM or rather NTl: were supposed to be offering cloud based TV recording years and years ago. I remember reading about it (it was coming soon) I think it's when TW announced the TVDrive, NTl: wanted to join in. Each subscriber, it was proposed, would get so much free cloud space to record shows and access them wherever they wanted.

I would guess that this idea was scuppered by the content producers rather than NTl: not bothering.

Horizon 11-05-2016 22:21

Quote:

Perhaps, or perhaps not. I'm wavering on this. This is what I said on the DS forums:

I guess it could go a few different ways in regards to new hardware:

1. A full blown SkyQ type 4k, recorder box with large hard drive costing a lot of dosh to customers, (perhaps not VM). I think this is the least likely option.

2. As above, but like Sky, VM offer mini boxes for other rooms. So perhaps you pay for the "big box" and VM throw in the mini boxes.

3. No recordable box at all. All recording done in the cloud. VM offer mini boxes as an interface between the Superhub 3 and your tvs.

4. No boxes at all. VM release a Fire TVish USB stick instead.

What is clear from the webcast is that the cloud will be central to the new 4k service. How central is yet to be determined.

---------- Post added at 22:21 ---------- Previous post was at 22:13 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35837012)
I guess so. If content is in the cloud, I guess an Amazon Fire TV type box would do the job?

There are good and aspects of cloud versus hard disc PVR/streaming service boxes IMHO. It all depends on the rules that are set around the cloud content (e.g. length of time available).

I am eagerly awaiting to see how VM got round the copyright issues of holding recordings in the cloud too, unless of course they're not really recordings...

When we all last spoke about copyright and cloud related issues, I suggested back then that what VM might do is pull a sneaky and not really offer PVR cloud recording options at all. Rather, it would just be their current VOD/streaming services "repackaged" as being your own personal recordings.

But that's my suspicious mind at work, I'm sure VM would not be dishonest.;)

1andrew1 11-05-2016 23:18

I've never seen such excitement on this forum since the will-it, won't-it run up to the launch of BT Sport on VM. Happy days again. :)

Mad Max 11-05-2016 23:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35837049)
I've never seen such excitement on this forum since the will-it, won't-it run up to the launch of BT Sport on VM. Happy days again. :)

Don't think i'd call it excitement tbh, just curiosity for me.

Horizon 11-05-2016 23:58

Quote:

As far as cable goes, there's been nothing to talk about until now.

So, we have new services coming, network upgrades and other things to get our speculative teeth into. Now if it all works well, then yes, good days indeed.

passingbat 12-05-2016 00:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35837028)

I am eagerly awaiting to see how VM got round the copyright issues of holding recordings in the cloud too, unless of course they're not really recordings...

I find it interesting that all but a couple of channels are now available via MRS. I'm not sure whether that has been a linearly progressive increase or a whole bunch of them being added recently. That had to happen for cloud and multiscreen viewing to be available on any forthcoming box.

denphone 12-05-2016 05:52

Quote:

All this lovely speculation.....:D:D

muppetman11 12-05-2016 09:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35837012)

To be fair what's happening in the UK pretty much follows development in the United States.

As an example Comcast a large US cable co is already providing Cloud DVR functionality as opposed to its satellite competitors Dish and DirecTV who use similar multiroom installations to that of Sky Q.

1andrew1 12-05-2016 09:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35837091)
To be fair what's happening in the UK pretty much follows development in the United States.

As an example Comcast a large US cable co is already providing Cloud DVR functionality as opposed to its satellite competitors Dish and DirecTV who use similar multiroom installations to that of Sky Q.

Interesting, just had a peek. Comcast X1 looks good. Interestingly, it offers 500Gb of storage so less capacity than Sky Q's 2Tb. (Not that this has a bearing on how much storage LGI will provide but an interesting benchmark.)
http://www.xfinity.com/x1a

muppetman11 12-05-2016 10:09

If you look at Dish Network they beat Sky Q with a 16 tuner system.

Interestingly someone posted over a year ago or so that they'd completed a survey from Sky which mentioned extra storage up and above the local HDD.

nialli 12-05-2016 13:47

Quote:

Rather, it would just be their current VOD/streaming services "repackaged" as being your own personal recordings.

Not sure how that would work, especially as iPlayer programmes are removed after just four weeks. I wouldn't be happy only having a month's worth of BBC series - that would be a step back for me.
I'm reviewing my TV deal when my contract's up in February. Unless Virgin really deliver something special I'll be giving serious consideration to a Freeview recorder alongside NowTV (retaining my VM broadband). The current Horizon and TiVo boxes don't justify the high monthly bills I'm seeing.

Mad Max 12-05-2016 13:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35837103)
Interesting, just had a peek. Comcast X1 looks good. Interestingly, it offers 500Gb of storage so less capacity than Sky Q's 2Tb. (Not that this has a bearing on how much storage LGI will provide but an interesting benchmark.)

I liked the last bit on the video with the lucky guy sitting in his pool.....:cool:

1andrew1 12-05-2016 14:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by nialli (Post 35837172)
Not sure how that would work, especially as iPlayer programmes are removed after just four weeks. I wouldn't be happy only having a month's worth of BBC series - that would be a step back for me.
I'm reviewing my TV deal when my contract's up in February. Unless Virgin really deliver something special I'll be giving serious consideration to a Freeview recorder alongside NowTV (retaining my VM broadband). The current Horizon and TiVo boxes don't justify the high monthly bills I'm seeing.

It will be interesting in how VM package the new set-top box. Obviously, they would like to charge more for it but if it is constrained by copyright issues then these could outweigh any benefits in picture quality and speed for some people. And I wonder if the size could work in reverse - eg why does VM expect me to pay £5pm for a box no larger than my mobile phone? Even if the box offers speed and capacity advantages over its current offering.

---------- Post added at 14:01 ---------- Previous post was at 13:56 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35837173)
I liked the last bit on the video with the lucky guy sitting in his pool.....:cool:

Yes, but wonder how long that tablet will last before going overboard!

toady 12-05-2016 15:00

Quote:

When we all last spoke about copyright and cloud related issues, I suggested back then that what VM might do is pull a sneaky and not really offer PVR cloud recording options at all. Rather, it would just be their current VOD/streaming services "repackaged" as being your own personal recordings.

That would be rubbish as not all content on the channels is available through VOD/Streaming. How would I record content that isn't available on VOD to watch later?

muppetman11 12-05-2016 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35837103)

They are both playing to their strengths , the two way system of cable makes the cloud more logical in comparison to a competitor like Sky who relies on its customers having a broadband connection to access On Demand. Sky's customer base also have varying broadband speeds anything from 1mb to 1gb with the lower speeds not being ideal for such an implementation.

Sky uses satellite to deliver the tv to the master box with the mini's and ipad using either powerline , WiFi or ethernet to distribute everything around the house.

Both systems have pros and cons and I'm sure both systems will have a few years road map of innovation delivering even more going forward.

Arthurgray50@blu 12-05-2016 22:38

So the big question is going to be. How much ? and are VM going to replace the existing boxes

1andrew1 12-05-2016 22:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35837193)
They are both playing to their strengths

Totally agree.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35837286)
So the big question is going to be. How much ? and are VM going to replace the existing boxes

That's two big questions, not one. :) 1. TBA. VM probably doesn't even know yet. 2. Can't see this happening due to the vast cost involved but it's possible it would be the default box for a new top subscription tier.

1andrew1 13-05-2016 09:55

Broadband TV News have written up the Investor Q&A about the Eos box. Not really any additional information there than Horizon's original transcript.
http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2016/...across-europe/

kirk1690 16-05-2016 14:41

Whit !! A new platform ?? Would you "horizon" the football for me tonight son ? Na doesn't quite roll off the tongue

1andrew1 16-05-2016 14:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirk1690 (Post 35837924)
Whit !! A new platform ?? Would you "horizon" the football for me tonight son ? Na doesn't quite roll off the tongue

Don't worry just yet - the forthcoming box will have Tivo software on it. By the time its successor comes out, it will probably read your brain to discover what it should record! http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/04...rolled_drones/

Jong1 17-05-2016 00:43

Maybe it's just me, but this all feels like a panic reaction to Sky Q to me. Sounds like Virgin were caught on the hop and now need a placeholder to try and stop/slow defections.

Of course they have had alternate Tivo boxes available for several years and will have been "watching developments" but I see no sign this is part of a long planned move with a clear, independent vision behind it.

My expectations are very low. "Turn of the year" sounds like the most amount of time they were able to give themselves and still sound like they were vaguely "on the case", yet not so specific they are bound by it. I expect any full rollout to slip 6 months to a year. I hope I am wrong!

1andrew1 17-05-2016 09:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jong1 (Post 35838020)
Of course they have had alternate Tivo boxes available for several years and will have been "watching developments" but I see no sign this is part of a long planned move with a clear, independent vision behind it.

Interesting but slightly negative comments. Certainly the move to a unified box across Europe looks strategic. Whether VM had hoped to launch this with Horizon software originally but brought the launch forward and had to use TiVo software is some thing we don't know.

Sugnid 17-05-2016 13:25

The only way that this box is going to take off or have any longevity is if VM sort out deals where they get the UHD channels from Sky/BT.

Anything less and it's not worth having.

Jong1 17-05-2016 14:10

Yes, I agree with that. Having been with Virgin/Telewest/United Artists? for 28 years(!) I now expect to stick with Virgin for Broadband but abandon their TV service when I get setup for UHD (more for HDR/BT.2020 than 4K) later in the year.

(yep, Andrew, I am somewhat negative about Virgin's under investment in TV. Back in the day, cable offered the promise of a superior service all round than satellite. Reality has been something different :(. )

passingbat 17-05-2016 14:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugnid (Post 35838080)
The only way that this box is going to take off or have any longevity is if VM sort out deals where they get the UHD channels from Sky/BT.

Anything less and it's not worth having.

I expect that there will be more on offer than just 4K. 4K is still a very small proportion the total TV sets. If VM were relying purely of 4K viewers to 'sell' the new box, then they would end up being very disappointed with the 'sales'.

Jong1 17-05-2016 19:14

Oh I'm sure, like Sky Q, it will have a slicker, more responsive interface, more tuners, will be the "hub" for the home able to play content on other TVs, via a small box and on tablets etc. too (subject to DRM!).

But, we shouldn't think that UHD means 4K. Although it will come with 4K, HDR will have a much bigger impact on most people's viewing, as it is just as impactful even with small screen sizes.

passingbat 17-05-2016 20:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jong1 (Post 35838124)
HDR will have a much bigger impact on most people's viewing, as it is just as impactful even with small screen sizes.

Quite agree; HDR will be good. For the size of TV most people will purchase, 4k will have little effect on PQ.

Do you know if Sky Q has HDR?

Jong1 17-05-2016 23:37

They have publically been quoted saying it will be upgraded to support "HDMI 2" by firmware (don't think they specified 2.0a, but that may be an oversight). They have also been testing HDR. But nothing can be certain until the 4K service launches and they actually do the upgrade.

RichardCoulter 25-07-2016 18:17

Will the new box be self install?

spiderplant 25-07-2016 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35851103)
Will the new box be self install?

Nothing has been announced, but it's a reasonable assumption. VM/LGI like self-install.

denphone 25-07-2016 20:41

Now all you need to do now is to give us a release date SP.;)

Horizon 25-07-2016 21:04

I'm still curious to see whether VM launch a new PVR box later in the year or not. As I said earlier in the thread, I think it might just be a mini box linked to the cloud.

Jong1 26-07-2016 10:50

I'm not convinced a cloud based box will ever be allowed to replace a conventional PVR for broadcast TV. People have talked about it for years but rights issues get in the way. We already have catch up. The added benefit of a PVR is you can watch at any time in the future. But providers of boxed sets, after the catch up window, have to pay for separate rights. Virgin would need to pay for those rights for all shows broadcast on all is channels! A cloud based PVR that only kept shows during the catch up window is not a sufficient replacement.

Mad Max 26-07-2016 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jong1 (Post 35851216)
I'm not convinced a cloud based box will ever be allowed to replace a conventional PVR for broadcast TV. People have talked about it for years but rights issues get in the way. We already have catch up. The added benefit of a PVR is you can watch at any time in the future. But providers of boxed sets, after the catch up window, have to pay for separate rights. Virgin would need to pay for those rights for all shows broadcast on all is channels! A cloud based PVR that only kept shows during the catch up window is not a sufficient replacement.

Which is absolute rubbish btw!

Jong1 26-07-2016 17:56

Others have tried to argue that a storage device in the cloud is equivalent to a local drive and the rights owners have kicked back against it every time. I guess you never know, but unless you can argue more coherently than "rubbish" I still say its highly unlikely.

Edit: just spotted the bold in your quote. Are you just saying catch up is rubbish? In which case I agree. But again messed up by the difficulty of agreeing it with all the channels, if they even have them themselves. And, of course, Virgin's willingness to pay is certainly an issue too.

Mad Max 26-07-2016 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jong1 (Post 35851301)
Others have tried to argue that a storage device in the cloud is equivalent to a local drive and the rights owners have kicked back against it every time. I guess you never know, but unless you can argue more coherently than "rubbish" I still say its highly unlikely.

Edit: just spotted the bold in your quote. Are you just saying catch up is rubbish? In which case I agree. But again messed up by the difficulty of agreeing it with all the channels, if they even have them themselves. And, of course, Virgin's willingness to pay is certainly an issue too.

Yes, it's extremely unreliable, Virgin should be ashamed that they haven't fixed this, a total joke imo!

RichardCoulter 26-07-2016 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35851310)
Yes, it's extremely unreliable, Virgin should be ashamed that they haven't fixed this, a total joke imo!

Agreed. Most of the time it's "temporarily unavailable" or takes longer than is convenient to load.

I tend to use my Smart TV instead as it's much quicker and has always been available.

muppetman11 26-07-2016 19:24

If the new Tivo's recordings are cloud based won't trying to watch your recordings be problematic for those like Mad Max who already suffer with contention in their areas ? Or will the boxes be a mix of cloud and local ?

Mad Max 26-07-2016 19:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35851311)
Agreed. Most of the time it's "temporarily unavailable" or takes longer than is convenient to load.

I tend to use my Smart TV instead as it's much quicker and has always been available.

I also have a smart TV Richard, but use the Netflix app on it more than anything else, i'll need to have a look to see if it has the facility for catch up, I was wanting to watch the first episode of Mr Robot, so i'm not sure if I can get this via the smart apps on my TV.

Arthurgray50@blu 26-07-2016 21:18

My wife and l were in a VM Store in Hounslow. And were told that we can renew our VM contract for a further year.

And be given a new BB box - which is WHITE, not a new Tivo box. And this will be better than anything else on the market.

We were shown the box similar to the BB box that we have now, but have been told this box is three times better than the box we have already - anyone heard of this.

I think it could be because l told him what l thought of the service of VM. And that Sky reps were standing about ten feet from me.

The box is about 5inches tall, with plug sockets on the rear - and its a stand up thing

---------- Post added at 21:18 ---------- Previous post was at 21:17 ----------

Also told that there is NO TiVo box on the horizon

Mad Max 26-07-2016 21:24

What you smoking mate..............:)

RobboEdin 26-07-2016 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35851311)

I always use TiVo for what it was designed for - recording. No need for on demand or catchup.😇

Horizon 26-07-2016 21:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jong1 (Post 35851216)

I agree and have said the same myself, I don't know how VM would get around the rights issue for cloud based services.

But as I said either in this thread or elsewhere, it was something that one of VM's bosses said that got me suspicious into thinking that VM will launch a new box and call it a pvr yet the "recordings" will actually just be links to VM's on demand services.

Yes, I know this is unlikely as it would mean VM would have to have everything on their VOD servers, I am just suspicious (as always) about what they might do.

---------- Post added at 21:38 ---------- Previous post was at 21:36 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobboEdin (Post 35851349)
I always use TiVo for what it was designed for - recording. No need for on demand or catchup.😇

I would love to use it to record what I want, except it filled up within five minutes.... and shortly afterwards it became slow and sluggish and awful to use ever since.

---------- Post added at 21:40 ---------- Previous post was at 21:38 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35851324)
If the new Tivo's recordings are cloud based won't trying to watch your recordings be problematic for those like Mad Max who already suffer with contention in their areas ? Or will the boxes be a mix of cloud and local ?

THis is what concerns me with cloud based services, its only as good as your connection and contention in your own area.

RichardCoulter 26-07-2016 21:42

Quote:

I suggested on here a bit ago that the TiVo should get back to basics and scrap the apps to improve it's speed.

I was informed that it's not the apps themselves that cause problems, but the support that they need.

The poll showed that people wanted to keep the apps.

Mad Max 26-07-2016 21:53

Quote:

But that's not the point Rob, Virgin have given customers VOD as an option to use if and when you want to use it, so they should make sure it works properly!

spiderplant 26-07-2016 22:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35851356)
But that's not the point Rob, Virgin have given customers VOD as an option to use if and when you want to use it, so they should make sure it works properly!

This is what the new TiVo software is all about - replacing the 12-year old VOD system with a brand new one.

Mad Max 26-07-2016 22:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35851358)
This is what the new TiVo software is all about - replacing the 12-year old VOD system with a brand new one.

Well here's hoping it works mate!

OLD BOY 27-07-2016 09:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35851342)
My wife and l were in a VM Store in Hounslow. And were told that we can renew our VM contract for a further year.

And be given a new BB box - which is WHITE, not a new Tivo box. And this will be better than anything else on the market.

We were shown the box similar to the BB box that we have now, but have been told this box is three times better than the box we have already - anyone heard of this.

I think it could be because l told him what l thought of the service of VM. And that Sky reps were standing about ten feet from me.

The box is about 5inches tall, with plug sockets on the rear - and its a stand up thing

What were Sky reps doing in a VM store? Were they a couple of Sky spies? Were they wearing dark glasses?

I'm sorry, Arthur, but this must be your wierdest post yet. We are not buying it. Your paranoia regarding Virgin Media seems to know no bounds.

---------- Post added at 09:04 ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35851359)
Well here's hoping it works mate!

Hear, hear. If it does, and there are loads of new apps on there, I will be well pleased.

1andrew1 27-07-2016 09:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35851342)

---------- Post added at 21:18 ---------- Previous post was at 21:17 ----------

Don't think this post has anything to do with the new set top box except the appendage at the end of the page, which is incorrect as VM's press interviews have confirmed a new box is on the horizon.
VM's superhub 3 which is what you were shown was first previewed in 2015. http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php...rget-voip.html

OLD BOY 27-07-2016 10:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35851387)
Don't think this post has anything to do with the new set top box except the appendage at the end of the page, which is incorrect as VM's press interviews have confirmed a new box is on the horizon.
VM's superhub 3 which is what you were shown was first previewed in 2015. http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php...rget-voip.html

Ah, that makes more sense. The rest of Arthur's post I will put down to perception issues.

Stuart 27-07-2016 17:34

Quote:

In fairness, Virgin have confirmed a new box is on the horizon. They have not specified what software that box will run, whether it's Tivo or Horizon.

1andrew1 27-07-2016 17:44

Quote:

as VM's press interviews have confirmed a new box is on the horizon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35851452)
In fairness, Virgin have confirmed a new box is on the horizon. They have not specified what software that box will run, whether it's Tivo or Horizon.

Yup, we agree that a new box is on the horizon. However, it will run Tivo software.

denphone 27-07-2016 18:01

Indeed that's what l hear Andrew..