Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media News Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Contractors (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33673634)

ppc 21-01-2011 17:06

Re: Contractors

My understanding is that the contractors/business partners will not know the full extent of any area loss or gain until April. As one would expect people will be playing cards close to the chest.
I believe that VM are creating "super regions" with one contact business partner taking on both the residential and business work. Interesting times ahead and hopefully positive ones for the industry as a whole.

JayJay 21-01-2011 18:55

Lets hope there are some positive changes coming. Alot of us can all agree that the industry could do with a shake up and moral could do with a good old boost!

ppc 22-01-2011 09:28

I agree Jay Jay and hope that VM will award the contracts to business partners who have the right managerial/corporate behaviours this time - and have evidence to support this - and not just who put in the lowest bid.

You just never know they may all just get it right this time.

In order to promote change one must first look to change them self!

JayJay 20-02-2011 10:09

Anyone have an update on different regions ?

weesteev 21-02-2011 13:47

Nothing has been fully confirmed yet, April onwards before we know more.

JayJay 21-02-2011 13:56

Removed - I answered my own question ;-)

Matt_S 23-02-2011 11:42

Hi,

I'm hoping someone might have experience with working for McNicholas? I have recently had an interview with them as an installer in the South East (Southend-on-Sea) area.

I've heard some horror stories about Kellys but I'm struggling to find any information on McNicholas.

This would be a huge career change for me so any help would be great.

weesteev 23-02-2011 12:52

They are an unknown quantity on the South Coast at the moment, although their Scotland/North East operations are pretty efficient.

Matt_S 23-02-2011 13:14

Thanks for the reply.

I've been reading through a thread on this forum about Virgin Media contractors (Kellys specifically) but it didnt talk very well of the industry.

I've gone from being very enthusiastic about the possible career change to slightly worried!

beller 23-02-2011 15:12

You have a right to be worried! its gonna be long hours with poor pay for a pain in the ass job.
Your life will turn into work, sleep and eat.

but you will get your VM staff package =)

Matt_S 24-02-2011 07:16

Definitely having second thoughts now.

Im currently working a 7-3pm office job. The pay is poor, I only bring home £1000 a month, but at least the pay is consistent. Im on a very tight budget and really cant earn a penny less than that. It wouldnt be so bad if I was on my own but Ive got a family to think about as well.

Im almost hoping now that I dont get offered the job so that I dont have to make the decision!

beller 24-02-2011 14:02

I guess a job is a job and some of the guys I worked with loved the job but they were the ones doing 12h days nearly every day. You can earn over your current wage but you will be doing a minimum of 10h days.

This is what I was on £17/18K = 5/6day week (inc. forced overtime), minimum 50h week and with a six day week you could be looking at maybe a 70h+ week.

tbh this is almost a last resort job, looks interesting from the outside but once you have been there a while it will wear you down with the hours and quite often the stress of the job.

Matt_S 24-02-2011 14:35

Thanks again.

McNicholas have told me it will be a 45 hour week, Tues - Sat. If I hit their targets I will be earning £20,000.

I guess that what they tell me and what the actually reality of it will be are probably quite different.

beller 24-02-2011 18:20

im sorry but i dont think that will be the case after a while of being there.

Jonnymeg 24-02-2011 20:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt_S (Post 35181336)
Thanks again.

McNicholas have told me it will be a 45 hour week, Tues - Sat. If I hit their targets I will be earning £20,000.

I guess that what they tell me and what the actually reality of it will be are probably quite different.

Yeah right, i would love to see those targets.