Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   The Happy Thought Thread Part 4 (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33664294)

TheDaddy 23-06-2020 19:18

Re: The Happy Thought Thread Part 4

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36040935)
Finally managed to book a hair appointment, shame its 21st July.

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36040938)
l can imagine your hair being nearly as long as one of those 1970's rockers by now SnoopZ.;)

Nineties raver more like I'd bet, I've certainly regressed to that anyway, floppy curtains all round. I'm getting mine cut on the 9th luckily as I needed a haircut before lockdown began!

SnoopZ 23-06-2020 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36040938)
l can imagine your hair being nearly as long as one of those 1970's rockers by now SnoopZ.;)

Worzel gummidge is my likeness.

tweetiepooh 24-06-2020 15:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36040935)
Finally managed to book a hair appointment, shame its 21st July.

Wife's hairdresser called up because my daughters appointment was cancelled at start of lockdown - guess they are honouring those bookings first - so 8th July for both of them one day after they open.
Fine for hairdressers but most barbers don't do appointment.

Hugh 24-06-2020 17:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36025293)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
My mother-in-law moved to a residential care home just after Christmas, for a six week trial period. Her health has deteriorated over the last year, as she has been suffering from Alzheimer’s and Senile Dementia (mild, but noticeable - very poor short term memory, not taking care of herself, not eating properly, missing medication).

Happy to say she wants to stay there long-term - she has lots of company, the staff are very friendly, foods good, and this should give her a good few years more in better health (she’s 91 years old).
Update on this - we put her house on the market (3 bed detached bungalow), and the details were published yesterday morning on the internet; we had two viewings yesterday, and got an offer this morning (full asking price, no chain - the buyer has sold her house already to a new buyer).

That's quite a good start.

Update on the update - everything went quiet (due to a small local issue (affecting the entire planet)), but two weeks ago, the buyers got back to us and asked us to do £7.5k's worth of "remedial" work before exchanging contracts - allegedly, they had an electrical survey done and the work would need to be done (complete rewiring, and then the re-decoration to tidy the mess made by rewiring).

We asked to see the report, and were told "the guy who wrote is ill at the moment, so we can't get hold of it". We said no work would be done until we could view the report, so they withdrew their offer late last week.

I organised an EICR report, and there were some shortfalls - the house fuse box didn't have a RCD fitted, and the same for the garage, and the lights in the house bathroom weren't IP rated (all of these shortfalls were C2 and C3), so I have arranged for the electrician to come and resolve these issues next week, at a price of £330 (bit of a difference to £7,500). The electrician said as it's a bungalow, if he had had to rewire it, it would have required none to very little decoration, as all the wiring goes through the loft and then down the partition walls.

Anyway, on to the good news - we had five viewings last night, three weren't interested, and the other two made offers at the asking price - the estate agent told them both had bid the same amount, and one of the viewers raised the offer by £5k, and we accepted and took it off the market (there is no chain - the buyer is purchasing it for her mother, as she lives locally, and is moving her mother from rented accommodation elsewhere).

joglynne 24-06-2020 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36041062)
Update on the update - everything went quiet (due to a small local issue (affecting the entire planet)), but two weeks ago, the buyers got back to us and asked us to do £7.5k's worth of "remedial" work before exchanging contracts - allegedly, they had an electrical survey done and the work would need to be done (complete rewiring, and then the re-decoration to tidy the mess made by rewiring).

We asked to see the report, and were told "the guy who wrote is ill at the moment, so we can't get hold of it". We said no work would be done until we could view the report, so they withdrew their offer late last week.

I organised an EICR report, and there were some shortfalls - the house fuse box didn't have a RCD fitted, and the same for the garage, and the lights in the house bathroom weren't IP rated (all of these shortfalls were C2 and C3), so I have arranged for the electrician to come and resolve these issues next week, at a price of £330 (bit of a difference to £7,500). The electrician said as it's a bungalow, if he had had to rewire it, it would have required none to very little decoration, as all the wiring goes through the loft and then down the partition walls.

Anyway, on to the good news - we had five viewings last night, three weren't interested, and the other two made offers at the asking price - the estate agent told them both had bid the same amount, and one of the viewers raised the offer by £5k, and we accepted and took it off the market (there is no chain - the buyer is purchasing it for her mother, as she lives locally, and is moving her mother from rented accommodation elsewhere).

Glad you got it sorted. The original 'buyers' must have thought you were intellectually challenged to have assumed you would believe their attempted scam. :tu:

denphone 25-06-2020 14:17

l have just come back from having a chest X Ray done at one of the city offshoots of the main city hospital.

In and out within 10 minutes.

joglynne 25-06-2020 15:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36041160)
l have just come back from having a chest X Ray done at one of the city offshoots of the main city hospital.

I think that is one of the few positive things at the moment. I still have to have blood tests every week and where I would have to wait in a side room until someone turned up now I have a timed appointment and can be in and out without any delay in a couple of minutes.

denphone 25-06-2020 15:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by joglynne (Post 36041164)
I think that is one of the few positive things at the moment. I still have to have blood tests every week and where I would have to wait in a side room until someone turned up now I have a timed appointment and can be in and out without any delay in a couple of minutes.

l have to agree with you jo as its definitely one of the positives going in and out within a few minutes as l had bloods done yesterday although it was pretty surreal witnessing a waiting room where 90% of the seats are cordoned off with partitions and those present in the surgery all had their face masks on.

TheDaddy 25-06-2020 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36041062)

One less thing to worry about and 5k over during a pandemic is impressive work

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36041160)

Can't be bad, shame it's not like that every visit!

heero_yuy 01-07-2020 11:15

Our Toby Carvery opens on Saturday. Major change is that the chefs will be serving the carvery items and accompanyments rather than the self service and most menue dishes will be served at the ( spaced ) Tables. Prior booking required.

The e-flyer I got doesn't say what the bar situation is so we'll have to go up there Sunday lunchtime if it's fine enough to sit outside in the large beer garden and see.

I still have a discount offer on a meal for two+ that is hopefully still valid until the end of July

nashville 01-07-2020 12:55

My hairdresser phone me as they open on 15th July in Scotland, I am a weekly customer so she gave me an appointment for 17'. Cannot wait as I have had to tie my hair back in a pony tail,

SnoopZ 01-07-2020 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by nashville (Post 36041877)
My hairdresser phone me as they open on 15th July in Scotland, I am a weekly customer so she gave me an appointment for 17'. Cannot wait as I have had to tie my hair back in a pony tail,

You get your hair done every week? :shocked:

I have to wait until 21st to sort out Worzlegummidge.

cimt 01-07-2020 15:57

I haven't had an haircut in about 4 months. Mine is a mess and I can't wait to get it cut. It has become very obvious that I'm going bald now :erm::erm:

heero_yuy 01-07-2020 16:47

I invested in a set of Whal clippers many years ago. A quick #3 is all that's needed. Paid themselves back many times over in saved hairdressing bills.

Hom3r 01-07-2020 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by nashville (Post 36041877)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36041902)
You get your hair done every week? :shocked:

I have to wait until 21st to sort out Worzlegummidge.

My mum normally shaves mine and my dads hair, but as she is still in the nursing home we cut each others.