Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   TiVo : Moving Tivo box...to the shed! Cable lengtheing query (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33687331)

rmwebs 28-04-2012 21:51

Moving Tivo box...to the shed! Cable lengtheing query

Hi all,

I'm in the process of planning a garden office (aka a fancy shed with heating) and am looking to move the second Tivo box down there.

We've got a bit of an odd setup.

In the front room we have tivo ('main box'), in the back room we have VHD (this is where the superhub is, and where the network comes in.

A new spur was added from the back room, directly up the outside wall and into the room above, this is the box I want to relocate.

I wouldn't bother taking the cable out, and would instead lay a new one. My only concern is that the shed...er...office, is about 10 meters away.

Do the Tivo boxes act the same way as the modem and require signal levels to be altered by a tech, or will I be ok to lengthen it myself?

Thanks!

DJSADERS 29-04-2012 10:42

Re: Moving Tivo box...to the shed! Cable lengtheing query

hmmm, it all depends on the signal the box is currently receiving as to whether anything would need to be done, all i can say is give it a go and see if it works, if not arrange for a tech to come take a look and sort the signal out, which could be as simple as changing the tap in the cabinet or fitting a device which removes the signal loss from the splitter

DaMac 29-04-2012 13:56

..and they would probably charge you £25 for doing it too.

DJSADERS 29-04-2012 13:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaMac (Post 35420626)

yeah this is true... however if you say it's a fault... then it's free ;) (if you tip the tech that is lol)

Mad Max 29-04-2012 16:46

Quote:

Yes, but the thing is if they re-route it for the OP and do it properly it will be £25 well spent.

rmwebs 13-05-2012 18:10

Cheers guys,

Just to follow up, If I grab some coax and do this myself and it turns out not to work due to poor signal, I assume I wont be told off for doing the work myself? I've got no problem paying £25 but theres no way in hell a VM tech is going to dig a hole all around my garden to feed the cable, its a good half days work. I'm going to be routing some cat6 myself so thought it would be easiest if I just did it all at the same time.

carlwaring 13-05-2012 18:57

Quote:

No. £75 (or possibly £99. Not sure which!)

nodrogd 14-05-2012 18:21

Also would a tech install in an outbuilding that is not connected to the house.

jb66 14-05-2012 19:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodrogd (Post 35427856)
Also would a tech install in an outbuilding that is not connected to the house.

I wouldn't, or I would leave the cab,e along the grass and get someone else to bury it

rmwebs 15-05-2012 18:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35427881)
I wouldn't, or I would leave the cab,e along the grass and get someone else to bury it

So if I was to lay the cable, get it all fitted up, etc myself, do you think an engineer would have any problem with that? I mean, I assume it would only require signal adjustments at the cabinet, correct?

Cheers

jempalmer 15-05-2012 18:20

Depends on how much you bung him I guess :D

jb66 15-05-2012 18:28

Saves me a lot of work, I'd totally use it no problem

rmwebs 03-07-2012 23:05

Sorry to bump this back up. I'm finally getting somewhere with this shed build and am just about ready to do the tivo cable fitting.

There seem to be so many conflicting posts around saying which type of cable you should or should not use. Could someone with a clue help me out here. The cable will be going about 20 meters from the virgin wall box to the tivo box in the shed/office. It will obviously be running outside (tacked to a wall).

What type of cable should I be using here? I've seen people say to use PF100, RG6, PF100, CT100, etc. What should I be going for, and why? Whats the difference between them other than some being hellishly expensive and some being dirt cheap? Obviously there must be some sort of signal quality difference but I'm stumped as to which one I should go for. Ideally I dont want to have to spend £50+ on a length of cable!

Cheers

jb66 03-07-2012 23:17

I use triple shielded rg6. 20meters would loose around 3 or 4db. Should be fine

rmwebs 03-07-2012 23:22

Thanks for the quick reply jb66. I dont suppose you could recommend where to grab it? I cant seem to find any that is triple shielded online.

As a side thought, I saw someone else's post where they had used WF100 on a 25 metre run for a tivo box and it worked with very little loss of power. I've found that satcure sell a 30 metre length for £18 - would this do the job?

Thanks again!