Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Installation Issues (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Multi Room Install Question - do you have to have them where the existing boxes are? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33682528)

MrB 06-11-2011 20:25

Multi Room Install Question - do you have to have them where the existing boxes are?

Dear All

We currently have multi-room (and BB) and are having additional boxes fitted to take us to three boxes (increasing to two Tivos and switching out the VHD). We are paying an install charge for Tivo and can have V+ moved to another room.

My question is, do we have to keep two boxes where they are already located and obviously they will have to install the third point as part of the install? Or could we only keep one box where it is now (in the living room) and have two boxes installed in completely different rooms? Would this be covered by the normal install cost?

We are thinking that it would be more useful to have one box in an upstairs bedroom and the other in the kitchen, as the current second box gets little use in its current location (however, in doing this would they leave the 2nd cable live where it currently is, as it is where the BB is also currently located and we wouldn't want the luminous Superhub anywhere else!).

Finally, once installed could we move V+ and Tivos round between the rooms (still not decided which room is best for each box) or would that cause problems with our installation?

Many thanks

MrB

Jameseh 06-11-2011 20:47

Re: Multi Room Install Question - do you have to have them where the existing boxes a

The engineer offered to wire a new point when mine was moved so I believe it is included in the cost but it may depend on the engineer you get.

jb66 06-11-2011 21:37

Re: Multi Room Install Question - do you have to have them where the existing boxes a

I wouldnt do it, I only get time to do one box

MrB 08-11-2011 00:18

But if you are coming out to install 2x new boxes and install a 3rd point, are you coming out with instructions to only install cabling for one new or to install where the customer wants the three boxes?

If I am paying for install, wouldn't it be where I want it? (e.g. if I decided to move it to the other end of the room, would the installer move the connection point, provide longer internal cable or insist I leave it where it is?).

Many thanks

MrB

New to cable 08-11-2011 01:34

If you paid the £49.99 install fee then you can have the boxes installed in any room you want, even if there is already cable points in the room.

The techs just want to be in and out, they don't mind if you've paid £49.99 for 30 minutes work.

Spann3r 08-11-2011 09:39

The tech would only get paid to upgrade the two boxes and install the 3rd. If you wanted a box moving then Virgin would need to raise a SRO for that box which would be a separate visit.
Now if all that was needed was to give you an length of cable with ends attached so you could do it yourself then most engineers would leave you the cable but I don't know any engineers that would do a box move for free.

dontpannic 11-11-2011 14:16

I run new cabling to a new room using a splitter and cabling I recieved with a superhub, and some F connectors and cable that a tech left me a few years back.

We also moved the V+ box so the tech only had to plug in the TiVo and VHD and all up and running :)

MrB 15-11-2011 13:54

In answer to my own question, yes it was possible, boxes moved without a fuss ;).

Many thanks

MrB