Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   U.S Election 2016 (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33702280)

Osem 24-02-2016 18:54

Re: US Election 2016

Trump's benefitting from an electorate who're fed up with the status quo I reckon. Times have been tough for the US internally and externally and I think here's a growing frustration about a number of key issues much like migration is driving anti-EU sentiment in the UK. When people have got to the point that they'll vote in huge numbers for a nutcase like Trump you have to look to the alternatives and wonder just how out of touch they've been to let things get this bad.

Of course anyone with a conspiracy hat on might think that if he gets power Trump is going to be the one who ultimately delivers the final attack on freedoms etc. which they're convinced is on its way...

TheDaddy 24-02-2016 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35823689)
Trump's benefitting from an electorate who're fed up with the status quo I reckon. Times have been tough for the US internally and externally and I think here's a growing frustration about a number of key issues much like migration is driving anti-EU sentiment in the UK. When people have got to the point that they'll vote in huge numbers for a nutcase like Trump you have to look to the alternatives and wonder just how out of touch they've been to let things get this bad.

Of course anyone with a conspiracy hat on might think that if he gets power Trump is going to be the one who ultimately delivers the final attack on freedoms etc. which they're convinced is on its way...

Or they could adopt our system where people vote in huge numbers , in their several millions perhaps and get their voice heard by having 1 mp, how out of touch does anyone have to be to realise that isn't democracy

techguyone 24-02-2016 22:59

I'm getting a bit worried, I'm agreeing more and more with Daddy's posts. :)

figgyburn 26-02-2016 16:31

Trump will win.For too long it's been bush or clinton,clinton or bush with a token obama thrown in.Boris will be prime minister here.So it may be that a couple of buffoons will be running the usa/uk but it will surely be anything but dull politics with those two in charge.Bring them on.

Hugh 26-02-2016 18:02

I would prefer 'dull' to an irresponsible buffoon, with the intelligence and temper of a baboon, like Trump.

TheDaddy 26-02-2016 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35824093)
I would prefer 'dull' to an irresponsible buffoon, with the intelligence and temper of a baboon, like Trump or bozo.

Hugh 26-02-2016 18:40

Boris is a buffoon, but he is not unintelligent...

denphone 26-02-2016 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35824093)
I would prefer 'dull' to an irresponsible buffoon, with the intelligence and temper of a baboon, like Trump.

l could have not said it better myself.

TheDaddy 26-02-2016 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35824102)
Boris is a buffoon, but he is not unintelligent...

You don't fall for his act either

Pierre 26-02-2016 19:31

Trump is not unintelligent.

It's very easy to dismiss someone like that, problem is that's what everyone has done from the outset and look where he is now.

Hugh 26-02-2016 20:21

'Cunning' is not the same as 'intelligent', imho....

He is a multiple bankrupt, multiple marriage flip-flopping bloviating blowhard who has convinced a section of the US populace he is a successful straight-talking businessman...

He is appealing to the lowest-common denominator, and then going even lower, and getting away with it - one can only assume the Dems are keeping their powder dry until he actually gets the nomination...

Damien 26-02-2016 20:37

Trump has just announced that if he is President he is going to introduce tougher liberal laws so 'the press can't lie'. Puts him in conflict with the first amendment (but he probably can't do it).

Mr K 26-02-2016 20:38

You do worry about Americans though; they might just elect him. They elected Ronald Reagan on the basis he was in a film they half liked a bit.

Hugh 26-02-2016 21:14

I think the fact he had been Governor of California for 8 years may have helped...

Pierre 27-02-2016 19:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35824120)
You do worry about Americans though; they might just elect him. They elected Ronald Reagan on the basis he was in a film they half liked a bit.

Well he turned out to be a very good president, so maybe there's method for n the madness.

---------- Post added at 19:23 ---------- Previous post was at 19:17 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35824116)
'Cunning' is not the same as 'intelligent', imho....

He is a multiple bankrupt, multiple marriage flip-flopping bloviating blowhard who has convinced a section of the US populace he is a successful straight-talking businessman...

He is appealing to the lowest-common denominator, and then going even lower, and getting away with it - one can only assume the Dems are keeping their powder dry until he actually gets the nomination...

Funny thing is though I reckon he has higher moral standards than Clinton!