Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Storage heaters - cost to run? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33621694)

RUSTY 01-10-2007 13:38

Re: Storage heaters - cost to run?

economy 7 depending on the area is a tad under half price, use mine for one storage heater in a cold kitchen, cheap hot water, dishwasher, shower, wash......ect ect.runs from 01:00 till 18:00hrs.main heating is gas boiler for rads and top up hot water.some older tarrifs have daytime boosts.

zing_deleted 01-10-2007 13:42

Have a word with your apartment management cuz I only pay a little over 5p per unit of electric

superbiatch 01-10-2007 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_love_monkey (Post 34406455)
Well from the post SMHarman posted earlier, it reads to me that as long as the building can withstand a blast of 5psi, then it can have gas, and those that can't, don't have gas? - which points to a cost saving exercise (but I could have read it wrong).

Now come on, talking technical to me now! I'm not sure about any of that, so i'm nodding in agreement :)

---------- Post added at 13:45 ---------- Previous post was at 13:43 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by RUSTY (Post 34406465)
economy 7 depending on the area is a tad under half price, use mine for one storage heater in a cold kitchen, cheap hot water, dishwasher, shower, wash......ect ect.runs from 01:00 till 18:00hrs.main heating is gas boiler for rads and top up hot water.some older tarrifs have daytime boosts.

Apparently we can't be on economy 7 for some reason - but valid points I will look into it :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by zinglebarb (Post 34406467)
Have a word with your apartment management cuz I only pay a little over 5p per unit of electric

Is that right Zing??? Hmmmm, now i'm getting wound up :rolleyes: Does that include a standing charge?

zing_deleted 01-10-2007 13:46

There isnt a standing charge I get charged 12 p per unit for the first so many a year (and this is but a fraction of what I use) then it drops to 5p per unit( so for about 2 months per year I pay more than you but then for 10 months I pay half )

Hugh 01-10-2007 13:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by zinglebarb (Post 34406467)

I'm with npower, and I pay
Night - 4.340p per kWh (that's when the dishwasher and washing go on, using timers)
Day - 11.960p per kWh

No standing charge, paid by monthly direct debit.

superbiatch 01-10-2007 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by zinglebarb (Post 34406474)
There isnt a standing charge I get charged 12 p per unit for the first so many a year (and this is but a fraction of what I use) then it drops to 5p per unit( so for about 2 months per year I pay more than you but then for 10 months I pay half )

I've got my last 8 bills (since i've been there) and they have always been 10.49 per unit as far as i can remember. Must check!

zing_deleted 01-10-2007 13:51

im with npower online tarrif fixed direct debit and 80 quid discount a year

Charlie_Bubble 01-10-2007 15:06

I'm with EDF. My Tariff is as follows:
Daytime: 11.72p per unit (Ok as I am normally at work)
Eve & W/E: 9.07p per unit
Night: 4.39p per unit
Economy: 3.8p per unit
I have a standing charge of 11.17p per day.

superbiatch 01-10-2007 15:09

How come some properties get economy 7 and some don't? I'm wondering why they agreed to this price fix which is 24/7 :confused: and i'm stuck with it til at least next september - as the contract was only signed recently :(

Chris 01-10-2007 15:12

Economy 7 is for premises with storage heaters. The cheap tariff is for use overnight while you charge the heaters up. A house or flat should not be on Economy 7 if it does not have storage heaters installed.

superbiatch 01-10-2007 15:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris T (Post 34406530)
Economy 7 is for premises with storage heaters. The cheap tariff is for use overnight while you charge the heaters up. A house or flat should not be on Economy 7 if it does not have storage heaters installed.

Ah right, i understand.

I've opened up a can of worms i think on here :dozey:

SMHarman 01-10-2007 15:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by superbiatch (Post 34406315)
My 'apartment' :p: block has 80 apartments over 14 floors, they are ex-council bought and redeveloped - here is the website to give you an idea http://www.parklandskirkby.co.uk/home

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_love_monkey (Post 34406455)
Well from the post SMHarman posted earlier, it reads to me that as long as the building can withstand a blast of 5psi, then it can have gas, and those that can't, don't have gas? - which points to a cost saving exercise (but I could have read it wrong).

Which I imagine means they did not upgrade the structure, but the cladding and the interior fitments. So a building that back then was not designed to 5psi.

zing_deleted 01-10-2007 16:06

imo storage heaters are poop anyway. Get one of them portable calor gas fires and warm the room up your in

SMHarman 01-10-2007 16:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by zinglebarb (Post 34406552)
imo storage heaters are poop anyway. Get one of them portable calor gas fires and warm the room up your in

A portable gas heater is not exactly cheap to run, those gas bottles are GBP20 each (if I recall).
And besides it is illegal in this case.

zing_deleted 01-10-2007 16:32

in that case id be buying thermal undies ;)

I forgot everyone on this forum is a law abiding citizen ;) :)