Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   TiVo : What a waste of our time (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33686514)

Arthurgray50@blu 22-03-2012 14:40

What a waste of our time

I have a very big question for members of this forum, My wife and l have finally come to an agreement, that due to costs we are moving totally to VM.

But what a nightmare trying to organise something simple with VM is totally annoying, we have checked the VM Website, and on there it clearly tells you that for existing customers you can get the full package for a decent price with free sky sports for three months and FREE Tivo box - when you agree to pay £5.00 per month, which we like.

This is where the nightmare has started, my wife contacted them yesterday, and said that she wanted the full package along with Sky Sports etc. the price was reasonable as we have bb and phone, its stated on the web site that Sky sports is free for 3 months.

We asked about the Tivo box, and was told that we have to pay £49.99 for the tivo box - even though it states it free for the box (the latest box you need to pay £49.99).

It clearly states that the 250 box is FREE(activation and install), they have also state that we are not under contract even though we have been with VM since the Telewest days.

My son had a major problem with them the FIRST day of install, he was sold the wrong package.

Any answers as the customer service, retention are trying to flog something which is against the website.:mad:

Anyone know Niell berketts email, as these emails are coming back to me.

The email l have is Niell Berkett@virginmedia.co.uk

Digital Fanatic 22-03-2012 14:52

Re: What a waste of our time

Where are you seeing that offer? You already have TV with VM don't you?

3 months TV free is for someone adding TV to their existing package - it also does not include Sky Sports for free The 500gb TiVo is £49 install, there is no 250gb box.

http://shop.virginmedia.com/existing...ee-add-tv.html

Arthurgray50@blu 22-03-2012 16:31

Hi Digital Fanatic, We are with VM BUT don't have Sky sports / movies, As far as l know VM have two types of Tivo Boxes.

We are after the Ist box, BUT VM have stated that we have to pay £49.95 for it, where on the web site it clearly tells you that Upgrade your package and you get Three months free and also you can get a tivo box free of charge (install and Activation) but pay £5.00 per month.:(

Digital Fanatic 22-03-2012 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35403960)
Hi Digital Fanatic, We are with VM BUT don't have Sky sports / movies, As far as l know VM have two types of Tivo Boxes.

We are after the Ist box, BUT VM have stated that we have to pay £49.95 for it, where on the web site it clearly tells you that Upgrade your package and you get Three months free and also you can get a tivo box free of charge (install and Activation) but pay £5.00 per month.:(

so you already have a TV option from them? If so then I think you are getting confused with the website.

Yes there are 2 types of TiVo boxes. 500gb and 1TB.

Can you post the link to the offer please? Plus what TV option are you on at the moment?

This is the TiVo offer, which states that installation of £49 needs to be paid, with a extra monthly fee of £5.
http://shop.virginmedia.com/existing...ox-prices.html
Quote:

Free TiVo Box activation: Irrespective of the number of set-top boxes you already have, for every new sale - If you take a 500GB TiVo box as your first box, the activation fee will be waived; if you take a 1TB TiVo box as your first box, we will reduce the activation fee to £49.95. TiVo box upgrade is not available to customers on TV M. Standard installation fee of £49.95 applies.
And here is the sky Movies/sports bundles details:
http://shop.virginmedia.com/existing...ow-to-buy.html

Arthurgray50@blu 22-03-2012 17:19

How much does the TiVo box cost?

Activation fees
Monthly fee
(per box)

TiVo 500GB
(stores around 250 hours of standard TV)
Free
(worth £49.95)
£5

This also states Its free to activate and instal

TiVo 1TB
(stores around 500 hours of standard TV)
£49.95
£5

This is the website infor and what l am going on

Digital Fanatic 22-03-2012 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35403994)

Activation fees
Monthly fee
(per box)

TiVo 500GB
Free
(worth £49.95)
£5

This also states Its free to activate and instal

TiVo 1TB
£49.95
£5

This is the website infor and what l am going on

Can you post the link please?, thanks :)
Quote:

Activation fees

Monthly fee
(per box)

TiVo 500GB

Free
(worth £49.95)

£5

TiVo 1TB

£49.95

£5

Quote:

*Installation fee of £49.95 applies. Additional box fee of £6.50 per month may apply. Our TiVo box is not available on our TV M service. Customers on TV M will need to upgrade to TV M+, L or XL.

Arthurgray50@blu 22-03-2012 18:01

I have checked the VM website for EXISTING CUSTOMERS for UPGRADE and this is what it say's

Activation fees

Monthly fee
(per box)

TiVo 500GB

Free
(worth £49.95)

£5

TiVo 1TB

£49.95

£5

Where would you like your new TiVo Box?

I am existing customer, l am on XL but without the sports channels, l want to upgrade, and to get Tivo, it clearly tells you that you can get the above.

I just want the FIRST Tivo box NOT the new one, and it clearly tells you Itd FREE install and FREE activation BUT £5.00 per month - check it out yourself.

Sirius 22-03-2012 18:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35404010)
I have checked the VM website for EXISTING CUSTOMERS for UPGRADE and this is what it say's

Activation fees

Monthly fee
(per box)

TiVo 500GB

Free
(worth £49.95)

£5

TiVo 1TB

£49.95

£5

Where would you like your new TiVo Box?

I am existing customer, l am on XL but without the sports channels, l want to upgrade, and to get Tivo, it clearly tells you that you can get the above.

I just want the FIRST Tivo box NOT the new one, and it clearly tells you Itd FREE install and FREE activation BUT £5.00 per month - check it out yourself.

Arthur just post a link to it

Digital Fanatic 22-03-2012 18:35

the page says:

Quote:

Want to know what’s even better than having the future of TV in your own home? That it won’t cost you a fortune. Upgrade now and you can get our 500GB box with free activation worth £49.95*. Alternatively, you could choose our 1TB box for just £49.95*.
Quote:

*Installation fee of £49.95 applies. Additional box fee of £6.50 per month may apply. Our TiVo box is not available on our TV M service. Customers on TV M will need to upgrade to TV M+, L or XL.
http://shop.virginmedia.com/existing...ox-prices.html

danielf 22-03-2012 18:35

Arthur: it looks like there are two fees: an activation fee, and an installation fee, and they're both £49.95. The activation fee is waived, and that leaves the installation fee.

VM seems worse than Ryanair...

Digital Fanatic 22-03-2012 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by danielf (Post 35404023)
Arthur: it looks like there are two fees: an activation fee, and an installation fee, and they're both £49.95. The activation fee is waived, and that leaves the installation fee.

Nobody is worse than Ryanair! :LOL:

devilincarnate 22-03-2012 18:37

Quote:

No one can be that bad:erm:

Arthurgray50@blu 22-03-2012 19:05

Well to me the website is totally misleading, I read on the website that if you take out the XL package, and get Tivo (with FREE Install and Activation) with phone etc.

Which is simple, and yet as an existing customer on the XL Package and you want to get Tivo, the sales staff want as get as much money as possible. My son had terrible trouble with them last week on the FIRST DAY of instal, and took SEVEN calls to sort.

I wonder why l bother with VM

denphone 22-03-2012 19:07

Quote:

Most companies levy charges of some sort and if people are really that unhappy then we do have a freedom of choice in this country and customers are entitled to go where they can get the best deal.:)

devilincarnate 22-03-2012 19:09

On a second thought?

"What a waste of our time" thread is what this is?

OLD BOY 22-03-2012 19:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35404045)
Well to me the website is totally misleading, I read on the website that if you take out the XL package, and get Tivo (with FREE Install and Activation) with phone etc.

Which is simple, and yet as an existing customer on the XL Package and you want to get Tivo, the sales staff want as get as much money as possible. My son had terrible trouble with them last week on the FIRST DAY of instal, and took SEVEN calls to sort.

I wonder why l bother with VM

Arthur, I'm sorry, but it's not VM! The website clearly states that you have to pay; you are simply misreading it.

spiderplant 22-03-2012 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35404010)
it clearly tells you Itd FREE install and FREE activation BUT £5.00 per month - check it out yourself.

Where? For the third time of asking, post the link.

muppetman11 22-03-2012 19:33

The simple answer is it doesn't say it anywhere

Here's what it says re installation

Installation:*Installation charges apply (starting from £49.95 for standard install) unless you qualify for one of our Free installation offers. Payment may be required in advance. All prices include VAT.

thunderlips 22-03-2012 19:40

vm tried to charge me £49.99 for install fee ! i just told them i am happy being a vm customer and iam not paying it and they waved it !

Arthurgray50@blu 22-03-2012 19:52

Carnate, l knew there would be one negative comment on this subject.

For example, if you were shown on a website that you could buy a Rolls Royce for say 1000 and then when you go to pick it up, there is another charge for it, what would you say.

I don't mind paying for items, but if you see something on a website, you expect it to be honoured.

---------- Post added at 19:52 ---------- Previous post was at 19:48 ----------

And also, at one time you could write directly to Mr Berkett, but now you can't, you have to go through path of phoning VM and put through to someone that you cannot speak with due to a language barrier, and then given someone who give you all the sales drive that you don't want to hear.

martyh 22-03-2012 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35404079)

For example, if you were shown on a website that you could buy a Rolls Royce for say 1000 and then when you go to pick it up, there is another charge for it, what would you say.

I don't mind paying for items, but if you see something on a website, you expect it to be honoured.

---------- Post added at 19:52 ---------- Previous post was at 19:48 ----------

And also, at one time you could write directly to Mr Berkett, but now you can't, you have to go through path of phoning VM and put through to someone that you cannot speak with due to a language barrier, and then given someone who give you all the sales drive that you don't want to hear.

Arthur nobody can help you if you don't post a link to the web page you read it on

carlwaring 22-03-2012 20:51

Quote:

I'd say "it didn't mention this charge on the web page". The difference being that all charges are stated on the relevant VM web page. Yes, maybe in the "small-print" but then that's no different to, for example, Sky's website.

Gadgie 22-03-2012 21:27

Quote..."Yes there are 2 types of TiVo boxes. 500gb and 1TB."

Yea! and the weird thing is, they are both the same price s well. We discovered that when we were in the process of returning to VM for all Three services, so we opted for the 1TB one;)

Superblade7 23-03-2012 05:02

Arthur,

Please listen to other posters on this forum for advice and check out this link - http://shop.virginmedia.com/existing...ox-prices.html and you can clearly see that as an existing customer you get the "activation" fee of £49.95 waived and a £5 monthly charge. Then further down the page it states -

However, like others have already said, if you can provide a link to the page on the VM website that confirms both charges are waived like you claim, then please post it.

The only offers I can see where both charges are waived are for new customers taking a new bundle such as - http://shop.virginmedia.com/content/...-tvmp-bbl.html

Now if you are out of contract, you could always try ringing retentions (the option for thinking of leaving us) and say that you'd like one of the new customer offers and see what they can do for you.

Superblade

clinteastman 23-03-2012 12:32

Quote:

You haven't showen us anything on a website as you haven't posted a link to the page your talking about?!?

Bentex 23-03-2012 15:28

Arthur has already explained he confused activation with installation and thought they were the same.

I did too when I first read the site. After a while I realized only the activation fee is now free (although did anyone ever actually pay this fee?).

I agree with Arthur, the website is confusing. It makes you think you are saving more money than you are. Also to be fair to VM, they are certainly not alone in doing this.

Sirius 23-03-2012 15:31

Arthur for goodness sake POST A LINK

LSainsbury 23-03-2012 15:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35404487)
Arthur for goodness sake POST A LINK

You'll be lucky!!! He's never posted one yet!!

kop32 23-03-2012 15:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSainsbury (Post 35404492)
You'll be lucky!!! He's never posted one yet!!

Then he will be lucky if anyone can help him!

Tim Deegan 23-03-2012 16:27

Just go through retentions, and tell them that you are comparing VM, BT, and Sky. They should give you a far better deal then.

Bentex 24-03-2012 20:57

Guys who are still asking for a link. He already said he confused the activation and installation fees.

I totally understand him because at first look I did too!!

It maybe good PR if VM made there packages and prices more simple. But people will always get interested in the product first if they think they are getting a bargain or saving money.

Tim gives good advice, call them up and say you want to go to Sky or BT vision. You feel they'll offer you a better deal. You might not get the deal you are after straight away and you'll have to give notice to have your equipment disconnected. Before that time comes they'll get in contact with you and offer all sorts of bargain deals for you to stay on.

It happened to me, but I didn't take up a free offer of Tivo (d'oh!). I went to Sky+ HD...then the offer sky gave me wasn't very good!! So I called up VM and got an 'ok offer'. Not as good as the previous (but I was still under contract).

Don't make the same mistake as me! Call to cancel...and see what offers you get.

Good luck!

Arthurgray50@blu 25-03-2012 19:09

Hi Bendex, thank you for your help. to other members, the link is spread over several different pages of Customer offers, its very confusing.

It drove nuts trying to post a link for my very good friends on here.

On the existing customers list it clearly states ONCE AGAIN.

250 Box Free but £5.00 per month

1TB £49.99 instal £5.00 per month.

Thats quite simple, until you try ordering it.

And on another page on customer services it clearly states

Full Package, Tivo boxes FREE INSTALL AND ACTIVATION.

Why doesn't VM get there act sorted, and tell there sales staff, of is some gimmick to sell the damn stuff.

nashville 25-03-2012 19:38

I have a V+ box. which is not activated as I have only M TV which is free because i have phone & L broadband. I have asked if I could have my V+ box activated again & I was tiold I would have to pay another £14 & take out a L TV package. I have been with the company since the beginning. I had downgraded as I felt my package was to expensive . I miss my on demand etc. I would be willing to pay the extra for the box. I wish I could get someone from my own country to talk to me & understand

borrissey 25-03-2012 19:52

What's this 250 box you speak of?

kop32 26-03-2012 07:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35405224)
Hi Bendex, thank you for your help. to other members, the link is spread over several different pages of Customer offers, its very confusing.

It drove nuts trying to post a link for my very good friends on here.

On the existing customers list it clearly states ONCE AGAIN.

250 Box Free but £5.00 per month

1TB £49.99 instal £5.00 per month.

Thats quite simple, until you try ordering it.

And on another page on customer services it clearly states

Full Package, Tivo boxes FREE INSTALL AND ACTIVATION.

Why doesn't VM get there act sorted, and tell there sales staff, of is some gimmick to sell the damn stuff.

Arthur,

As VM do not do a 250gig box you clearly must of read it wrong...

arcimedes 26-03-2012 11:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by kop32 (Post 35405326)
Arthur,

As VM do not do a 250gig box you clearly must of read it wrong...

I've just worked out what Arthur means:D

It does say 250 for the small Tivo but its followed by hours ;)

richard1960 09-04-2012 10:48

Just a footnote on the subject in january i got the 500gb TiVo box installed and VM cherged me NO activation or install fee and knocked £7 a month off my bill for two years expires jan 2014 to more then cover the TiVo fee.:)

Mad Max 09-04-2012 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard1960 (Post 35411823)
Just a footnote on the subject in january i got the 500gb TiVo box installed and VM cherged me NO activation or install fee and knocked £7 a month off my bill for two years expires jan 2014 to more then cover the TiVo fee.:)

Thats a good deal mate.....:cool:

bowieboots 11-04-2012 02:57

We had a basic box in one room with the medium package. We went to the virgin media shop and told the guy we wanted Tivo box in another room, upgrade to XL and Sky sports + we upgraded the phone to the all calls. The guy told us that we would have to pay £49.95 for instilation but when he phoned it through, was told no instiltion charge.

It kind of helps seeing the person who is serving you as aposed to it just being a nameless voice on the end of the line.

Gadgie 13-04-2012 22:02

Quote..."just being a nameless voice on the end of the line. "

Aye! that's a good point, we were getting so many different offers while we were in the process of returning to VM, I made a point of asking the persons name I was talking to.

It worked, as after that the communication improved a great deal;)