Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sony Games Systems (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   PSN back online after data breach. You must change passwords [see post 1] (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33677025)

Chrysalis 03-05-2011 02:50

re: PSN back online after data breach. You must change passwords [see post 1]

storing encrypted is standard practice now days for anything billing related so is poor from sony in that regard.

Kymmy 03-05-2011 09:03

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13256817

Quote:

Sony has warned that almost 25 million extra gaming users may have had their personal details taken in a hacker attack.

pabscars 03-05-2011 11:28

I use my work email addy for one of my PSN accounts and since receiving the email from Sony regarding the PSN breach, I've had dozens of spam emails from eastern european ladies looking for relationships and seeking contact via Skype.

Obviously I deleted them all and added the sender to the blocked list but a coincidence I think not.

Fitze73 03-05-2011 11:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by pabscars (Post 35227873)
I've had dozens of spam emails from eastern european ladies looking for relationships and seeking contact via Skype.

at least it wasnt for men eh paul lol :)

pabscars 03-05-2011 12:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitze73 (Post 35227874)
at least it wasnt for men eh paul lol :)

I know,,,,, you would have been dead jealous hay Fitze lol ;)

:D

Couldnt resist :p:

Tod 03-05-2011 13:55

As part of my yahoo mail package I have a unique email address for my PSN, and I have received no spam at all on it.

craigj2k12 04-05-2011 13:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tod (Post 35227951)
As part of my yahoo mail package I have a unique email address for my PSN, and I have received no spam at all on it.

i too havent received any more spam than usual

pabscars 04-05-2011 13:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigj2k11 (Post 35228638)
i too havent received any more spam than usual

May of been a fluke then, just me being suspicious.

Fingers crossed it's all back up and running this evening, I'm missing GT5

Tod 04-05-2011 13:14

I just want to get my PSN+ stuff, it's the turn of the month now! :D

Although I hope it is not dumbed down as it is free to all this month!

pabscars 04-05-2011 14:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tod (Post 35228647)
I just want to get my PSN+ stuff, it's the turn of the month now! :D

Although I hope it is not dumbed down as it is free to all this month!

One suspect's their servers may be running a tad warm this hevening :D,

I wonder if sony have taken advantage of this to upgrade their servers capacity because they normally grind to a halt when map pack's get released.

Tezcatlipoca 04-05-2011 20:40

"Sony’s Response to the U.S. House of Representatives"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sony
Today, the Subcommittee on Commerce, Manufacturing and Trade of the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Energy and Commerce held a hearing in Washington, DC on “The Threat of Data Theft to American Consumers.”

Kazuo Hirai, Chairman of the Board of Directors of Sony Computer Entertainment America, submitted written answers to questions posed by the subcommittee about the large-scale, criminal cyber-attack we have experienced. We wanted to share those answers with you (click here).

In summary, we told the subcommittee that in dealing with this cyber attack we followed four key principles:

1. Act with care and caution.
2. Provide relevant information to the public when it has been verified.
3. Take responsibility for our obligations to our customers.
4. Work with law enforcement authorities.

We also informed the subcommittee of the following:

* Sony has been the victim of a very carefully planned, very professional, highly sophisticated criminal cyber attack.

* We discovered that the intruders had planted a file on one of our Sony Online Entertainment servers named “Anonymous” with the words “We are Legion.”

* By April 25, forensic teams were able to confirm the scope of the personal data they believed had been taken, and could not rule out whether credit card information had been accessed. On April 26, we notified customers of those facts.

* As of today, the major credit card companies have not reported any fraudulent transactions that they believe are the direct result of this cyber attack.

* Protecting individuals’ personal data is the highestpriority and ensuring that the Internet can be made secure for commerce is also essential. Worldwide, countries and businesses will have to come together to ensure the safety of commerce over the Internet and find ways to combat cybercrime and cyber terrorism.

* We are taking a number of steps to prevent future breaches, including enhanced levels of data protection and encryption; enhanced ability to detect software intrusions, unauthorized access and unusual activity patterns; additional firewalls; establishment of a new data center in an undisclosed location with increased security; and the naming of a new Chief Information Security Officer.

(snip)

craigj2k12 05-05-2011 00:04

Quote:

* We are taking a number of steps to prevent future breaches, including enhanced levels of data protection and encryption; enhanced ability to detect software intrusions, unauthorized access and unusual activity patterns; additional firewalls; establishment of a new data center in an undisclosed location with increased security; and the naming of a new Chief Information Security Officer.
so basically they have sacked the guy in charge of security, set up new servers, and added encryption

---------- Post added 05-05-2011 at 00:04 ---------- Previous post was 04-05-2011 at 23:34 ----------

does anyone know when PSN will be back online?

pabscars 05-05-2011 08:06

Going off word of mouth from a mate, he was expecting the PSN network to be back up and running at 1am this morning, but because Sony had found that another 20 million users details had been stolen it may be delayed further, how true this is I cant say.

Just to add

I had a phone call from a guy claiming to be from Northern Rock last night saying they wish to discuss something with me but before they could proceed they need to ask some security questions, so I said unless your willing to disclose what its about you aint getting jack out of me.

This went back and too a few times so I said to the guy listen, given the fact that PSN has just been hacked, I'm not comfortable handing over personal info over the phone, the chap was very understanding, gave me his name and number and asked me to ring back in the morning.

It's probably genuine as I have dealing's with NR but I'm not taking any chances.

Tod 05-05-2011 10:03

Sony have been very quiet again, looks like this week is off then!

Also I am confused at how people are still posting on the official PS forums when you can't log into PSN? Hows that work then?

DABhand 05-05-2011 12:31

Probably seperate MYSQL database for the forums.