Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Freesat & Freeview (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33654808)

NeroAerials 21-01-2010 09:33

Re: B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

I did say it is not strictly true, in case you wasn't aware, sly have changed their dishes and also the lnb fitments in the last four months.

So if your friend who has had the quad lnb on here dish for six months, then it's pretty good odds that they are using the old style sly quad lnb.

And sly have done this so that people buying 3rd party dishes cannot use their quads / octos on their systems.

perhaps you would like to tell us all if this new style quad would fit on your friends system.

http://neroaerials.co.uk/onlineshop/images/skyquad.jpeg

Kymmy 21-01-2010 09:37

That's the whole point, we're not talking about sky dishes here.. nor are we talking about sky LNB's :rolleyes: And my EME bounce dish definately didn't come from Sky (mind you that doesn't have an LNB, hard to transmit through an LNB) :D:D:D

My new 1.2m dish didn't come from sky, neither did the Diseqc motor nor the quad lnb, none of my friends stuff came from sky either..

Please stop assuming that everyone interested in sat has stuff supplied by sky and that sky are the only suppliers out there :(

NeroAerials 21-01-2010 09:52

I personally am of the opinion that people buying cheap FTA dishes and boxes from B&Q to get their freesate signals will not be going to grax or sat solutions to buy their quad or octo lnb's.

I am more than aware that sly are not the only suppliers of equipment as of yet I have never even thought about buying, diplexers, launch amps, mast head amps or multiswitches etc from sly.

Kymmy 21-01-2010 10:02

I've found that a lot of people will buy a cheap system (FTA ) as it's the first step into finding out that there's more to sat than Sky. A lot then go onto better recievers (most which do not come with a dish) and if the reciever has multiple modules and/or pvr functions then they of course need a dual (or greater) lnb. Also there's the options of twin (monobloc) lnb's with varying degrees of seperation for as on your profile hotbird or other sat reception.

As such the B&Q makes a great starting point for these people.. But yes you are right that they're not great for true freesat usage as you will lose most of the freesat extended features but they will work for simple channel viewing

asciidv 01-02-2010 19:48

Kymmy, that's me! I bought the B and Q system on impulse because of the price. I bolted it together on a Sunday afternnon, rested the dish on a chair pointing out of my bedroom window, in Northumberland.....and it just worked. The double glazing appeared to have very little affect.

The diffrence between FTA and Freeview passed me by until now.

However, I can say that I would totally recommend this box if you are begiining in
Satellite TV. It does everything it says it does on the box. I am having fun with it!
£40 well spent!

Kymmy 01-02-2010 20:16

Freesat will have all the red button functions, HD and a more fully featured EPG, FTA will show you all the channels (including all of Sky's FTA non-encrypted) and will be perfectly watchable.

Glad you're happy and welcome to the forum

kafagan55 15-02-2010 22:00

i bought this box and dish using it on a multi sat system it a great box for the money

---------- Post added at 22:00 ---------- Previous post was at 21:55 ----------

a quad lnb will work with this dish

marielle 22-02-2010 22:50

Hi all, just registered on this forum.
I recently bought a Ross satellite from B & Q and am having trouble finding any satellite. Where am I going wrong.

I think I have found 28.2 degrees and have hitched the dish up to the box which is hitched up to the television, but when I do auto scan I am getting nothing. Just a message at the end of the scan saying cannot find program.

kafagan55 23-02-2010 00:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by marielle (Post 34968556)
Hi all, just registered on this forum.
I recently bought a Ross satellite from B & Q and am having trouble finding any satellite. Where am I going wrong.

I think I have found 28.2 degrees and have hitched the dish up to the box which is hitched up to the television, but when I do auto scan I am getting nothing. Just a message at the end of the scan saying cannot find program.

hi you must be pointing at the wrong satellite. switch on the audio signal in the menu this will buzz very loudly when you find a satellite. is there a house near you that has a sky dish on it if so compare your dish position with. remember the dish should be pointing straight ahead best of luck.let me know how you get on
kevin

marielle 25-02-2010 07:32

Thanks for your help Kevin

I will try that............

kafagan55 25-02-2010 14:56

your welcome let me know how you get on . if you still have problems you can contact me.
regards
kevin

Top-cat 27-03-2010 14:22

Can't get % quality reading on Ross Satellite

Hi have bought a Ross HD Digital Receiver and have managed to get 99% on the level but cannot get anything on the Quality, it just stays at 0%. Have been trying all day. Any ideas? My first time trying to dabble with satellite dishes. cheers

caggy 06-04-2010 22:41

Hi,

Can someone tell me why you would buy one of the Ross's freesat dishes ahead of a normal freeview box, aren't the channels pretty much the same?

Kymmy 07-04-2010 08:52

Freesat has a slightly different channel lineup than Freeview. Also a lot of people might be in a weak freeview area so can only get freesat

Chris 07-04-2010 10:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by caggy (Post 34995963)
Hi,

Can someone tell me why you would buy one of the Ross's freesat dishes ahead of a normal freeview box, aren't the channels pretty much the same?

Long term, the prospects for a decent selection of HD channels are far, far better with satellite than with terrestrial. However, I still wouldn't buy a Ross box because they are not Freesat accredited. You will get all the same channels on the Ross box as with a branded Freesat box but you're unlikely to see extra goodies like the BBC iPlayer appearing on non-Freesat boxes.

I would say, unless you are a particular fan of the few channels that are on Freeview but not Freesat (basically Dave, UKTV History, Fiver and Five US), a branded Freesat HD box is a far better purchase than a new Freeview HD box.