Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sport (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Aston Villa (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=6166)

Nugget 09-01-2004 12:56

Aston Villa

I read in the news that Doug Ellis finally wants to put some money into the club. I reckon that we need to strengthen the team - does anybody else think that we've got any chance of encouraging top players to the club? If O'Leary tries to get Viduka, would he cut the mustard or would it better to get somebody like Crouch again and try to build him up?

Mal 09-01-2004 13:03

Re: Aston Villa

I thought it was only Man Utd who had fans not from their city. :)

homealone 09-01-2004 13:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mal

have you seen how Grimsby Town have been doing recently......:(

homealone 09-01-2004 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nugget
I read in the news that Doug Ellis finally wants to put some money into the club. I reckon that we need to strengthen the team - does anybody else think that we've got any chance of encouraging top players to the club? If O'Leary tries to get Viduka, would he cut the mustard or would it better to get somebody like Crouch again and try to build him up?

I'd like to see an end to the 'cheque book' approach to football, more money should, imo, be put into youth schemes to develop more 'home grown' talent, rather than buying in overpaid players from overseas. I think Cricket has the right idea only allowing two overseas players per team.:shrug:

dodgyboy 09-01-2004 13:26

Quote:

Viduka would be a good player for AV, and I think given a few years and european qualification you could attract the big names. O'leary seems to be doing a pretty good job, but if Doug is going to spend some money (and thats a big if) then I hope O'leary doesnt "do a leeds"

dodgyboy 09-01-2004 13:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by homealone
I think Cricket has the right idea only allowing two overseas players per team.:shrug:

I think UEFA were looking at bringing a non EU player limit back in (but I guess that would only cover european games)
Homegrown is the way to go, and that could only benefit the home nations national sides aswell.
You never know given another 50 years England might be able to find a left footer :D

homealone 09-01-2004 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodgyboy
I think UEFA were looking at bringing a non EU player limit back in (but I guess that would only cover european games)
Homegrown is the way to go, and that could only benefit the home nations national sides aswell.
You never know given another 50 years England might be able to find a left footer :D

LOL:D

- the other thing that annoys me is where smaller clubs have really good youth schemes and 'bring on' a good player, they are often left with little choice but to sell them, so the local talent doesn't end up benefiting the local team. You can't blame the players, as the gap between earnings in the Premier & the rest of the League is so great.

Nugget 09-01-2004 14:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mal

Don't worry - I'm not anything like any of the United fans :eek:

I'm originally from Birmingham and, like any true fan, kept the team that I started with (let's face it, homealone's got a good point!) :rofl:

homealone 09-01-2004 14:13

Quote:

I'm originally from Birmingham and, like any true fan, kept the team that I started with (let's face it, homealone's got a good point!) :rofl:

He had to say that - he's sat right next to me:D - not a lot of work going on in our office this afternoon :rofl:

Nugget 09-01-2004 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by homealone
He had to say that - he's sat right next to me:D - not a lot of work going on in our office this afternoon :rofl:

Mind you, there's never a lot of work happening in our office - if I'm not talking about the Villa, we're both outside smoking. Hard life, really! :zzz:

Anyway, back to the footie - if we couldn't get someone like Viduka, I'd like to see an established player coming to the team. If Angel does leave (really hope not), we need to find someone who'll get us 15-20 goals per season and I can't think of anybody like that who's available.

Then again, I think that our reserve team are top of the league at the minute, so why can't we get some of the players from there and give them a chance to show it the top level?

Mal 09-01-2004 14:45

Quote:

Utd are my local team :)

Quote:

Oh well...

Nugget 09-01-2004 14:50

[QUOTE=Mal]Utd are my local team :)

Sorry Mal!! Didn't notice that you're from Salford - I meant all of the Utd fans who don't live in Manchester!! :)

Atomic22 10-01-2004 19:01

Quote:

Sorry Mal!! Didn't notice that you're from Salford - I meant all of the Utd fans who don't live in Manchester!! :)

oh no not this old one again...........
at least give us constructive criticism instead of coming up with this same old crap......hehehe
i mean we have beaten "da viller" twice in the last few weeks and you havent mentioned that both refs were united fans , we paid them ,ruud was offside ,all they sell to eat at trafford is prawn sandwiches etc etc etc
:bigcry:

kronas 10-01-2004 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atomic22
at least give us constructive criticism instead of coming up with this same old crap......hehehe
i mean we have beaten "da viller" twice in the last few weeks and you havent mentioned that both refs were united fans , we paid them ,ruud was offside ,all they sell to eat at trafford is prawn sandwiches etc etc etc
:bigcry:

:rofl:

too right,dont mess with man utd,especially there supporters :eek: :D

Nugget 15-01-2004 15:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atomic22
i mean we have beaten "da viller" twice in the last few weeks

Sorry to ALL of the Man U fans (I'm only jealous - Man U regularly play us off the park. Do you think that you could just let Villa win once :bigcry: )