Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Film & Cinema (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   4K Blu Ray (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33712330)

cupcakes aka dd 11-12-2023 15:47

4K Blu Ray

Anyone else getting fed up of paying around £15 to watch the latest films on streaming services. You don’t really get anything for your money just streaming access on a server and if that company decides to call it a day you loose all your films. Thinking of purchasing my favourite films on 4K Blu ray now I have a 4K TV as the picture quality is stunning. I know there is the physical storage argument and digital being more versatile. What do you think?

Halcyon 11-12-2023 15:59

Re: 4K Blu Ray

I see where you are coming from. Soon we will all own absolutely nothing and live in a sort of rental society where nothing belongs to us.

From a quality perspective, it does sound like getting the 4K Bluray is a good idea.

Jaymoss 11-12-2023 16:00

Oooohhh arrrrr me hearties

If you buy it and want it download it from another source. Or hell to it if you want it download it stuff em

daveeb 11-12-2023 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by cupcakes aka dd (Post 36166387)
Anyone else getting fed up of paying around £15 to watch the latest films on streaming services. You don’t really get anything for your money just streaming access on a server and if that company decides to call it a day you loose all your films. Thinking of purchasing my favourite films on 4K Blu ray now I have a 4K TV as the picture quality is stunning. I know there is the physical storage argument and digital being more versatile. What do you think?

I think there's a balance to be had. I get my absolute favourite films and box series on Bluray (not that many really). Anything else that I'm unlikely to watch again then I'll stream. I guess it depends how deep your pockets are and how much shelf space you have as Blurays, small form factor as they are, can soon mount up if you start "collecting".

peanut 11-12-2023 20:31

I started with betamax, then swapped for a VHS and had a collection. Then restarted with a DVD collection - big mistake. DVDs are totally crap on today's TVs and the whole lot has all ended up in the bin. I've admitted defeat and totally given up collecting physical media.

I'm glad I haven't gone down the same road with Bluray. Stream or download for me.

daveeb 11-12-2023 20:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by peanut (Post 36166399)
I started with betamax, then swapped for a VHS and had a collection. Then restarted with a DVD collection - big mistake. DVDs are totally crap on today's TVs and the whole lot has all ended up in the bin. I've admitted defeat and totally given up collecting physical media.

I'm glad I haven't gone down the same road with Bluray. Stream or download for me.

Agreed, I'm assuming you mean standard DVD's, they're only 576i resolution so upscaled they will look pretty ropey. Native 4K blu rays on the other hand can look fantastic with a decent 4K player and TV. Personally I enjoy the full ownership aspect of stuff I really enjoy watching but can understand why others may prefer the convenience of just streaming the media.

cupcakes aka dd 11-12-2023 21:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveeb (Post 36166390)
I think there's a balance to be had. I get my absolute favourite films and box series on Bluray (not that many really). Anything else that I'm unlikely to watch again then I'll stream. I guess it depends how deep your pockets are and how much shelf space you have as Blurays, small form factor as they are, can soon mount up if you start "collecting".

Think I’m going to go down this route. Purchase just my favourite films.

---------- Post added at 21:19 ---------- Previous post was at 21:14 ----------

Like their plan though. Get everyone to pay for streaming and pay extra for the latest releases and unlike physical media which you can share with the family crack down on password sharing. It’s a win win.

tweetiepooh 12-12-2023 09:25

We have loads of DVD's and they look fine. I do have the equipment now for 4K Bluray but the price difference is too great.
The big issue with streaming or "owning" a digital asset is that you are at the mercy of the platform and the content owner. If the studio has a hissy fit they can withdraw your rights at any time and suddenly you can't watch something that you've paid for. With owning the media, even on DVD, you can watch as long as the media is good and you have the player. Plus you can get used films on media.

Stephen 12-12-2023 11:30

I still buy a lot of physical media. I have over 500 DVDs, 120 Blu Rays and 23 4K Blu Ray's. I also still have about 27 Laserdiscs.

DVDs still look ok on my 1080p TV upstairs, but haven't used them on my 4K TV downstairs. Even though the player and TV will upscale them.if you have a decent HDMI DVD or Blu Ray player or even a PS4 or 5 they will upscale DVDs to a decent standard.

I do subscribe to a few streaming services and have bought a few films from Amazon video. I never rent movies off Amazon though only purchased.

mi_z 12-12-2023 11:32

I use cinema paradiso to rent discs for films I haven't seen. I do buy Blu Rays and 4ks too. Imo DVD looks like crap on modern TVs so unless it was filmed on tape or 480p cameras I don't buy those.

admars 12-12-2023 12:34

I found my ps4 does a much better job of upscsaling DVDs than my Panasonic blu ray player

i still buy things I really want on blu ray, not so much as I used to, but not only do streaming services sometimes remove TV shows, and films, it happened recently where even if you bought that show, you couldn't watch it any more :(

and it's still nice to know I can watch a film without it juddering if the internet is playing up or goes down all together

Paul 12-12-2023 23:57

Buying the media has become more popular because its easy to lose access to online stuff you paid for.

A few years ago I bought a couple of films digitally, and they were stored on Ultraviolet.
That went defunct in 2019, and I lost track of them [and thus access to them].

Stephen 13-12-2023 00:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36166478)
Buying the media has become more popular because its easy to lose access to online stuff you paid for.

A few years ago I bought a couple of films digitally, and they were stored on Ultraviolet.
That went defunct in 2019, and I lost track of them [and thus access to them].

There was a thing at the time I'm sure where you could transfer them to Google play. I think I've still got them linked to my Google store account now.

cupcakes aka dd 14-12-2023 17:15

HMV are doing two 4K films for £25 at the moment. Not the latest releases but plenty to choose from.

cupcakes aka dd 04-01-2024 13:01

BBC recent article

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/...eaming-anxiety