Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Car expert needed (Paintwork) (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=48098)

TheBlueRaja 01-06-2006 11:21

Car expert needed (Paintwork)

I have an old MX-5 (yeah, yeah, hairdresser car i know), and the lacquer finish is starting to degrade badly on the car and the paint is starting to oxydise quite badly too, leaving a once lovelly red car a bit like a flakey Scotsman after a few days at the beach.

The question is - could i remove the lacquer finish? Would that be wise? Or should i take it to a body shop to be relacquered and buffed and polished or would it take a re-spray?

Any ideas?

homealone 01-06-2006 11:45

Re: Car expert needed (Paintwork)

Budweiser is the resident 'bodyshop' expert, but isn't logged in atm :)

TheBlueRaja 01-06-2006 11:47

Cool, i'll keep an eye out for him. :tu:

grandmaster 01-06-2006 12:31

Could you not T-cut the car.
This removes the top layer of ****e.

Then wax to bring a nice shine

budwieser 01-06-2006 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by homealone
Budweiser is the resident 'bodyshop' expert, but isn't logged in atm :)

He is now! :D

TheBlueRaja 01-06-2006 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by budwieser
He is now! :D

Well help me man - pwease! :p:

Im reduced to begging goddammit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandmaster
Could you not T-cut the car.
This removes the top layer of ****e.

Then wax to bring a nice shine

Its the lacqeur thats coming off that bothers me more than the oxydisation.

budwieser 01-06-2006 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBlueRaja
Well help me man - pwease! :p:

Im reduced to begging goddammit.

Its the lacqeur thats coming off that bothers me more than the oxydisation.

Is the lacquer flaking off and what colour is the car? Ahh Red i see!;)
Which panels are starting to have the lacquer flake off? Usually if its flaking off, it means having to take the panel back to metal and repainting it to avoid any problems.
It could be that it`s been painted in the paste( Not very well!) and it hasn`t been prepared for painting properly.

Chimaera 01-06-2006 20:37

Does red paint suffer more from these types of problems? My boss had a red car which became very dull and tatty looking, he used Mer products (not a very good advert for them!) but swore that the use of a pressure washer caused the paint to lose it's shine.
I'm only asking because I've just swapped my Pepper Red Ka for a Ford Focus - Colorado Red! :rofl:

budwieser 01-06-2006 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimaera
Does red paint suffer more from these types of problems? My boss had a red car which became very dull and tattl looking, he used Mer products (not a very good advert for them!) but swore that the use of a pressure washer caused the paint to lose it's shine.
I'm only asking because I've just swapped my Pepper Red Ka for a Ford Focus - Colorado Red! :rofl:

It depends Chim, If the car is painted in a solid colour, ie no lacquer, it can become dull and faded over a course of time and carwashes and using washing up liquid to clean it etc, if it`s a clear over base colour, ie basecoat colour with a lacquer topcoat, it`ll keep its colour and shine for many years.:)

Chimaera 01-06-2006 20:43

Quote:

Quote:

Does red paint suffer more from these types of problems? My boss had a red car which became very dull and tattl looking, he used Mer products (not a very good advert for them!) but swore that the use of a pressure washer caused the paint to lose it's shine.

It depends Chim, If the car is painted in a solid colour, ie no lacquer, it can become dull and faded over a course of time and carwashes and using washing up liquid to clean it etc, if it`s a clear over base colour, ie basecoat colour with a lacquer topcoat, it`ll keep its colour and shine for many years.:)

Aha - so how would I find that out? :shrug: I've had a Supacoat treatment put on it before I bought it, hopefully that should help?

budwieser 01-06-2006 20:46

Quote:

Aha - so how would I find that out? :shrug:

Get a bit of t-cut on a rag and rub the paint, if you get colour on the rag it`s solid colour if not , it`s clear over base,.
Or just look on the chassis plate and look for the paint code which will be something like " L97" or the like.

TheBlueRaja 01-06-2006 20:52

So it looks like a trip to the bodyshop is the only option concidering that the lacquer is coming off (quit a bit too) then?

Any ideas on the price (im thinking a lot here though!)

Incidentally its coming off the driver door and the front two wings.

budwieser 01-06-2006 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBlueRaja
So it looks like a trip to the bodyshop is the only option concidering that the lacquer is coming off (quit a bit too) then?

Any ideas on the price (im thinking a lot here though!)

Incidentally its coming off the driver door and the front two wings.

Is it not flaking off of the bonnet though?:erm:

Chimaera 01-06-2006 21:41

Quote:

Get a bit of t-cut on a rag and rub the paint, if you get colour on the rag it`s solid colour if not , it`s clear over base,.
Or just look on the chassis plate and look for the paint code which will be something like " L97" or the like.

Thanks for that - another little job for the weekend (whan I can dig the T Cut out of the shed!)

TheBlueRaja 01-06-2006 21:55

Quote:

Is it not flaking off of the bonnet though?:erm:

Actually now you mention it is is starting to happen a little bit there too, the worst by far is the Drivers door.