Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Sobriety orders to be piloted (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33686413)

Derek 17-03-2012 13:24

Sobriety orders to be piloted

Clearly taking a leaf from the T Blair bumper book of headline grabbing but unworkable ideas the government wants to introduce bans on people getting drunk.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17407493

Quote:

Offenders who commit alcohol-fuelled crimes are to be monitored with ankle tags and breath-tested to ensure they stop drinking, under government plans.
So just who monitors these? And what happens when they are inevitably broken?

Breaching bail or conditional court punishments are already rarely punished and even if people are jailed where will they be put?

danielf 17-03-2012 13:29

Re: Sobriety orders to be piloted

Quote:

Police will have powers to impose "sobriety orders" on drinkers cautioned for minor offences, such as criminal damage or public disorder.
Police can impose them? What's wrong with having them imposed by a judge? Or would that be too hard, having to prove an offence was actually committed and all?

Gary L 17-03-2012 13:29

What a load of baloney.
monitoring them to make sure they don't drink.

why don't they monitor fat people to make sure they stop eating burgers?

who are they to tell someone they're not allowed to drink?

prison?
fines more like.

throw it back in the bin, and present me with another stupid thought up brainwave.

martyh 17-03-2012 13:31

Stupid and unnecessary

nomadking 17-03-2012 13:35

They've had trials of the systems and there are to be further sanctions applied.
Quote:

• An advanced electronic ankle tag, dubbed the "sobriety bracelet", that can detect whether an offender has broken a ban on drinking. The tags, which have been trialled in Glasgow, record alcohol intake by measuring an individual's air and perspiration every 30 minutes.
• A new generation of electronic tags which use GPS satellite technology to monitor the movements of an offender. This would allow monitoring round the clock rather than the current system which only confirms whether an offender is at a designated address at a particular time. The GPS tags have been trialled in Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire.
• Greater seizure of assets of offenders. No 10 believes it is wrong that wealthy offenders can lose expensive belongings, such as sports cars, while the authorities appear reluctant to seize goods, such as televisions, from less affluent offenders.
Quote:

Courts will be given new powers to confiscate offenders’ property as part of a community punishment, including credit cards, driving licences and passports as well as property such as TVs or vehicles.

Taf 17-03-2012 14:04

I think they're working towards all people being fitted with RIF chips so they know where we are all the time.

;)

Maggy 17-03-2012 14:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary L (Post 35401300)
What a load of baloney.
monitoring them to make sure they don't drink.

why don't they monitor fat people to make sure they stop eating burgers?

who are they to tell someone they're not allowed to drink?

prison?
fines more like.

throw it back in the bin, and present me with another stupid thought up brainwave.

Stop giving them more ideas..Please.

Uncle Peter 17-03-2012 14:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 35401295)
So just who monitors these? And what happens when they are inevitably broken?

Cue another contract farmed out to G4S.

denphone 17-03-2012 14:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Peter (Post 35401363)
Cue another contract farmed out to G4S.

Those idiots.:td::(

RizzyKing 17-03-2012 18:05

What next is there any limit to the stupidity in our government of late this country is going nuts it really is :(.

Hugh 17-03-2012 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35401334)
I think they're working towards all people being fitted with RIF chips so they know where we are all the time.

;)

RFID.....;)

And what makes you think it hasn't already happened?

Gary L 17-03-2012 20:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35401483)

Because nobody can remember getting the letters informing us to report somewhere to have the implants done.

mertle 17-03-2012 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35401483)
RFID.....;)

Goto say it is mad idea but what can be done to those who go on drug or drunk fueled mayhem or injure inocent. If the alcohol or drugs cause it then how do you stop it.

I would assome they monitored from central system with it being GPS.

Hugh what are you saying flu jabs got got them. My number 365B3709GBT50983 I am NEXUS 5;)

Now I know why got lump in the left arm;) lol

Damn I better shut up we all giving them ideas.

Maggy 17-03-2012 22:21

STOP GIVING THEM MORE IDEAS...:td:

Not that there are many more things they can ban or stick a preventative tax on.I bet chocolate will be next and that's already VAT rated...

mertle 18-03-2012 00:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35401567)
STOP GIVING THEM MORE IDEAS...:td:

Not that there are many more things they can ban or stick a preventative tax on.I bet chocolate will be next and that's already VAT rated...

we dont need to they got loads up there sleeve.:(

They becoming more evil by the day apparantly armed police kettled dr's and nurses in london on peaceful protest. Yet we see media blackout. We effectivly now in obressed state.

http://www.latentexistence.me.uk/hea...n-nhs-protest/

discusion on here about it

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1641816