Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   General IT Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Hacked/online game (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33653101)

Xan 23-07-2009 12:01

Hacked/online game

Hi hope someone could help me here

I play a game on line it is could eve-online and over the past 3 days my account has been accessed by a foreign IP so the company has banned my account so no damage will come to it.I have done a format of comp and loaded my live onecare virus scanner. And yet again my account has accessed by a foreign IP.could it be my wirless router,could it be some kind of software on my comp this is what i have done so far

Reinstall of system
Run virus scan found nothing
Run ad-aware found nothing

Thanks for any help

Raistlin 23-07-2009 12:09

Re: Hacked/online game

Either:

1. You wireless router has been compromised and they have access to data on your PC that way, or
2. Your computer security is generally low, this allows them to continually re-compromise your computer and thereby gather your credentials, or
3. The email account you use to register for the game has been compromised, allowing someone to request a password recovery and thereby compromise your account that way, or
4. You have an easy to guess password on your account, probably something that's personal to you or is a dictionary word.

---------- Post added at 11:09 ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 ----------

Forgot:

5. You're using the same password on this account as you're using on another account, and it's the other account that's been compromised.

Xan 23-07-2009 12:15

Hi Rob

i did change my password to a much better one caps numbers last night, and 6 hours later they hacked my account i have 4 accounts but 2 have only been hacked. i have had the 50meg off VM and i have the router that comes with it.I do not use the wireless as wireless as i use cables how would i be able to make sure that the router wireless is not on or router is compromised

Raistlin 23-07-2009 12:17

Do you have an email address associated with that account? If so, has the password for the account been sent to that address? Have you changed to password for that email address? Is your password still a dictionary (or frequent use) word?

---------- Post added at 11:17 ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 ----------

Not sure how you'd switch off the wireless on your router. If you let us know what model it is we can check.

Xan 23-07-2009 12:31

Hi i had to change my password online so no email.Wireless "N" router and adapter the one you get for free with VM 50meg account not sure of name as im in work. did not change email pass thats my next thing forgot about that

Raistlin 23-07-2009 12:34

If your game account has an email address associated with it then it might be possible to have your game password sent to that address from within the game/web site. If that's the case, and they've compromised that email account, then they can get your game credentials back easily.

Change that password as well, make sure it's really complex, and make sure it's different to all your other passwords - never re-use passwords across different systems.

Xan 23-07-2009 13:21

Thanks Rob going to open up another email account and close the other one down see if that works

need to find some info out about my router