Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Petition to try and block Murdoch taking over Sky & it's channels. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704147)

RichardCoulter 16-12-2016 23:02

Petition to try and block Murdoch taking over Sky & it's channels.

Various threads have mentioned the fact that Murdoch is to gain control of Sky.

Some aren't happy about this, so here is a petition that's been mentioned in the press to try to persuade the Government to block this deal:

https://speakout.38degrees.org.uk/campaigns/1719

Mad Max 17-12-2016 01:23

Re: Petition to try and block Murdoch taking over Sky & it's channels.

No way, let him get Sky I say.....................:)

Hugh 17-12-2016 01:24

Market economics....

theone2k10 17-12-2016 02:22

What about vm getting control or trying too of all cable companies in uk then?

OLD BOY 17-12-2016 12:22

Some people will object to anything. It's a wonder we achieve anything in this country these days.

Maggy 17-12-2016 12:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35876182)
Some people will object to anything. It's a wonder we achieve anything in this country these days.

So objecting to monopolies is wrong then.Questioning the government is wrong then?:rolleyes:

denphone 17-12-2016 12:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35876182)

Well we are a country where free opinion is allowed last time l looked and that means one is allowed to voice a opinion and of course that sentiment also applies to others who might have a different opinion on these things.

nomadking 17-12-2016 12:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35876185)
So objecting to monopolies is wrong then.Questioning the government is wrong then?:rolleyes:

How is it a monopoly? Sky is already a separate entity. However if Sky and VM were to merge, then that would be a monopoly. Sky is mainly a broadcaster of content that OTHERS have produced and that Sky has no control over.

OLD BOY 17-12-2016 13:00

Quote:

Sky was not a monopoly when I last looked and nor was News Corp.

We elect our government and then the people who didn't vote for it use spoiler tactics to try to prevent them carrying out their manifesto commitments.

This petition is just a personal crusade against the Murdochs, and it's quite wrong.

passingbat 17-12-2016 15:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35876201)
We elect our government and then the people who didn't vote for it use spoiler tactics to try to prevent them carrying out their manifesto commitments.

Did I just stumble on to a European Referendum thread? You got it spot on OB; You Remainers stop bleating; you lost. Stop delaying our exit! ;)

theone2k10 17-12-2016 16:14

Quote:

So the same can be said for VM then? They have a monopoly over the uk cable network.

Mr Banana 17-12-2016 18:17

I thought the concerns were more about Murdoch having control over news media output i.e. Sky News, The Sun etc rather than owning 100% of Sky

OLD BOY 17-12-2016 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35876230)
So the same can be said for VM then? They have a monopoly over the uk cable network.

Er - didn't the cable companies lay the cables in the first place? The cables belong to Virgin Media now quite legitimately.

Is there any law in place preventing others from laying cables?

---------- Post added at 18:18 ---------- Previous post was at 18:14 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Banana (Post 35876243)
I thought the concerns were more about Murdoch having control over news media output i.e. Sky News, The Sun etc rather than owning 100% of Sky

That's right, and it should be noted that the Murdochs have already offered to have an independent editorial board to ensure the impartiality required.

As I said, this is just a personal grudge that some people have against the Murdoch family.

Love 'em or hate 'em, they have a perfectly legitimate right to run their businesses and people really need to get over their attitude towards them.

RichardCoulter 17-12-2016 19:55

It's the way they run their businesses that I have a problem with.

OLD BOY 17-12-2016 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35876260)
It's the way they run their businesses that I have a problem with.

I don't like Sky witholding content but this seems to be acceptable practice in the media industry. Not so much of an issue with the Murdochs on the running of their newspapers (except that the phone hacking scandal was unacceptable). Most of us dislike the amount of influence the Murdochs have over Government policy, but they do it because they can. The fault lies with the politicians who allow this undue influence to take place.