Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Ed Miliband: 'this will be a one-term government' (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33686703)

denphone 01-04-2012 09:01

Ed Miliband: 'this will be a one-term government'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...ves-tax-petrol

Quote:

Ed Miliband predicts that the Conservatives will be thrown out of office by Labour after one term in Downing Street, as David Cameron faces fresh allegations over failing to declare numerous secret meetings with rich Tory donors in the "cash for influence" scandal.

After a week that has seen the Tories battered by rows over party financing, embarrassed by a row over VAT on takeaway food and accused of stoking a crisis at the petrol pumps for political gain, the prime minister was accused of a "cover-up" by the Sunday Times.

The newspaper claimed that Peter Cruddas, the disgraced former Tory treasurer, mixed with David Cameron and large donors at more than a dozen private events, including bankrolling a dinner at Chequers, despite the party's attempts to disown him as a minor player. Cruddas's name was absent from a list published by Downing Street to show that the party was being transparent about Cameron's meetings with wealthy businessmen, the newspaper added. In new video footage, Cruddas also boasts that he had secured a donation of £1m only a fortnight before his resignation, despite Tory claims that he had never brought in a big cheque.

A Conservative spokesman said last night: "Of course, politicians meet donors as they do thousands of individuals every day. But the key question is whether these meetings influence policy and they categorically do not."

In an interview with the Observer, Miliband said Cameron's entire political project has been fatally undermined by rows over donations, tax cuts for the rich and the petrol crisis. He also accepted that Thursday's byelection defeat in Bradford West, where Labour lost a previously safe seat to the maverick anti-war candidate George Galloway, had been a "deep disappointment" for which he accepted responsibility.
The question is here is this government a one term government and my answer is yes but its alright for Ed Milliband to say this but will he be the opposition leader come the next General Election?.

papa smurf 01-04-2012 09:10

Re: Ed Miliband: 'this will be a one-term government'

from my point of view this gov has lost the plot -i have been a life long Tory voter but this lot haven't got a clue so i want them out before they do any more damage ,the question is who to put into power in their place ?:confused:

Maggy 01-04-2012 09:12

I think Ed is speaking too soon..Because no one wants his government either not even traditional Labour supporters.;)

LexDiamond 01-04-2012 09:18

I like his optimism but his party are crap and still haven't laid out their policies in a number of areas.

Sirius 01-04-2012 09:20

Well if the next Government is spend spend Labour you can bet Milibore will not be the Prime Minister that's for sure

mertle 01-04-2012 09:56

I was hoping we got Government which threw away its retoric thinking for once sat down thrashed out policies which improved the situation. This government with watered kicking scream kid in pram called clegg. Who gets a spanked bottom if he not quiet or good little baby. It seemed the situation seemed to trigger all the evils of policies from the mad backbenchers.

Now why could we not had historic government say look this is major issue I unique and aint going to take one party views see this loosly whats happening clegg just nothing towing not his party line. The whole westminster to thrash out how to sort the issue out. We needed that second world war conflict unity to get us through this and still do. If labour wins I hope they do it. Together we will be stronger.

Nope the created the air it was someone elses fault it should never been about blame it clouded there judgement. With this atitude it armed it up got everybody fighting each other within public. As the government used a divide and conquor approach used it vent hate and hurt.

On whether Ed gets more than one term he wont he will get at least 2 terms. time heals the mind.

By that time hopefully David Davis is concervative leader:D So long he allowed to follow his own beliefs not party retoric please those mad hatters behind him. Which think this what cameron doing whether these is really beliefs if so its very calious thinking.

Damien 01-04-2012 09:58

So is Ed resigning then?

Sirius 01-04-2012 10:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by mertle (Post 35407853)

On whether Ed gets more than one term he wont he will get at least 2 terms. time heals the mind.

Is that your attempt at an April fool gag ???

denphone 01-04-2012 10:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35407854)
So is Ed resigning then?

That might be the only option available to him a year down the road.

Osem 01-04-2012 10:07

If I were Milliband I'd be rather more concerned about my own prospects for political longevity than the next election. The unions bought their man in preparation for an outbreak of militancy and if they carry on with it, Miliband will not be able to keep dodging the issues. Listening to him saying a whole lot of nothing is embarrassing.

Stuart 01-04-2012 11:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by mertle (Post 35407853)

Ed Milliband is incompetent. If he is the best Labour have got, they might as well disband the party now.

David Cameron has presided over some of the worst financial situations in recent history. Situations bad enough they have caused people to RIOT several times. Situations which the Labour party should have been able to turn to their advantage. Something they've been singularly unable to do.

You say time heals. It does. How long do we have to wait though? They've had two years and don't seem to have made any headway.

MalteseFalcon 01-04-2012 11:47

What's making me laugh is Labour are not saying any new policies, so why will people vote for a no policy party?

Gary L 01-04-2012 12:35

Who voted no?

Pierre 01-04-2012 12:39

And just who will be the next Prime Minister? Galloway?

Sirius 01-04-2012 13:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkC1984 (Post 35407898)
What's making me laugh is Labour are not saying any new policies,

Sorry but your wrong ;), Time after time Labour condem cuts that are intended to help us get out of the crap they created in the first place. That means there policy is to spend money we dont have. Where does that money come from to support there spend spend spend and spend some more policies.

We dont have a lot of Gold left Brown sorted that out :mad:

There is not a lot of money in the pensions as Brown grabbed and spent that. :mad:

We don't have much in the way of industries the Unions pay demands and strikes saw to that. :mad:

We have far left call centres these days to employ people as the company's sent them off shore to save on over hyped wages. :mad:

So what they hell do we have left for Labour to spend should the idiots get voted back in. :rolleyes: