Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Other Digital TV Services Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   It all about the Math. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33685121)

New to cable 31-01-2012 11:28

It all about the Math.

Sky World+HD+Multiroom= RRP £72 Minimum (Monthly) (£864 yearly)

VirginmediaXL+Multiroom+Skysports/Movies+HD =RRP £76.50 Minimum (Monthly) (£918 yearly)

Freeview + Netlfix+DNS Tweak to access the US version of Netflix =RRP £6 (Monthly) (£72 yearly)

muppetman11 31-01-2012 11:35

Re: It all about the Math.

Whatever suits your budget I suppose , personally cant see it being too long before Netflix close that loophole.

New to cable 31-01-2012 11:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35372595)
Whatever suits your budget I suppose , personally cant see it being too long before Netflix close that loophole.

Its a loophole that does not harm Netflix, I use a DNS tweak to watch Hulu+ Netflix US, Get the UFC app on my xbox etc etc. If closing the "loophole" results in 10's of thousands of UK, Canadian, Australian, ,New Zeleanders and many many other countrys canceling there Netflix sub......................... Well Idoubt they are in a hurry to block it.

Also to effectively block it users would need Geo locked HARDWARE, with different chips/hardware or region key. Netflix is years old and people have been watching the US version for a long time.

---------- Post added at 10:41 ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35372595)

Its a loophole that does not harm Netflix, I use a DNS tweak to watch Hulu+ Netflix US, Get the UFC app on my xbox etc etc. If closing the "loophole" results in 10's of thousands of UK, Canadian, Australian, ,New Zealanders and many many other countrys canceling there Netflix sub......................... Well Idoubt they are in a hurry to block it.

v0id 31-01-2012 12:20

You need to factor in the cost of the internet connection for Netflix ;)

(pet peeve: unless you're American, it's "maths" not "math")

New to cable 31-01-2012 12:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by v0id (Post 35372625)
You need to factor in the cost of the internet connection for Netflix ;)

(pet peeve: unless you're American, it's "maths" not "math")

I disagree, You pay for Sky/Virgin TV to watch the channels. I do not pay for my internet to watch Netflix.

So take away Netflix I will still pay for my internet, take away the channels you won't carry on paying for your TV subs. So internet does not need to be factored in unless you get the internet purely to watch Netflix

kingll 31-01-2012 13:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by New to cable (Post 35372630)
I disagree, You pay for Sky/Virgin TV to watch the channels. I do not pay for my internet to watch Netflix.

So take away Netflix I will still pay for my internet, take away the channels you won't carry on paying for your TV subs. So internet does not need to be factored in unless you get the internet purely to watch Netflix

But you do need your internet to watch Netflix is it not? So it has to be factored in.

You also haven't done like for like, as in where is your sports package and where is the multiroom?

I do understand what your trying to say but the last package is not the same as the Virgin/sky packages.

New to cable 31-01-2012 13:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingll (Post 35372677)
But you do need your internet to watch Netflix is it not? So it has to be factored in.

You also haven't done like for like, as in where is your sports package and where is the multiroom?

I do understand what your trying to say but the last package is not the same as the Virgin/sky packages.

Multiroom simply needs a connected media player, TV or device. The American version of Netflix compares very well to SkyMovies considering price difference.

Obviously its not a solution for everyone but in these increasingly tough times its becoming an option for more and more people. It streams HD with 5.1 sound and the US version has movie we cant even buy in Bluray yet. All for £6 a month.

---------- Post added at 12:33 ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingll (Post 35372677)

Multiroom simply needs a connected media player, TV or device. The American version of Netflix compares very well to SkyMovies considering price difference.

Obviously its not a solution for everyone but in these increasingly tough times its becoming an option for more and more people. It streams HD with 5.1 sound and the US version has movies we cant even buy on Bluray yet. All for £6 a month.

Hugh 31-01-2012 13:39

So you don't count multiroom in the Sky calculation because of a "work around", but count it in the VM package - why couldn't the same "work around" be used there, reducing the cost in line with Sky?

Stuart 31-01-2012 13:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by New to cable (Post 35372600)
Its a loophole that does not harm Netflix, I use a DNS tweak to watch Hulu+ Netflix US, Get the UFC app on my xbox etc etc. If closing the "loophole" results in 10's of thousands of UK, Canadian, Australian, ,New Zealanders and many many other countrys canceling there Netflix sub......................... Well Idoubt they are in a hurry to block it.

It's a loophole that may cause Netflix's content providers to move to streaming services that protect their content better. So, yes, it is in Netflix's interest to close that loophole.

New to cable 31-01-2012 14:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35372710)
So you don't count multiroom in the Sky calculation because of a "work around", but count it in the VM package - why couldn't the same "work around" be used there, reducing the cost in line with Sky?

The Sky calculation includes multiroom

Skyworld £52, SkyHD pack £10, Sky Multiroom £10 total £72.

---------- Post added at 13:04 ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35372714)
It's a loophole that may cause Netflix's content providers to move to streaming services that protect their content better. So, yes, it is in Netflix's interest to close that loophole.

Well, I can get HBO, HULU+ etc etc and I know people in the US, Australia etc streaming Skygo off a relatives multiroom sub to 2 devices.

I think people simply stealing the content from download sites is a bigger issue. Netflix pay studios for rights for certain countries, Sky pay the same studios for rights to other countries.

If anything it will be Sky losing out, not the film studios. EG Sky have the Ondemand rights for Ironman2 for the next year. I can watch it on Netflix in HD 5.1 sound right now instantly.

Now that works for me..An if you want to tell me I'm breaking a ToS TOUGH. Go tell everyone that downloaded IronMan2 they have stolen it and have broken the law.

---------- Post added at 13:06 ---------- Previous post was at 13:04 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35372714)

Well, I can get HBO, HULU+ etc etc and I know people in the US, Australia etc streaming Skygo off a relatives multiroom sub to 2 devices.

I think people simply stealing the content from download sites is a bigger issue. Netflix pay studios for rights for certain countries, Sky pay the same studios for rights to other countries.

If anything it will be Sky losing out, not the film studios. EG Sky have the Ondemand rights for Ironman2 for the next year. I can watch it on Netflix in HD 5.1 sound right now instantly.

Now that works for me..An if you want to tell me I'm breaking a ToS TOUGH. Go tell everyone that downloaded IronMan2 they have stolen it and have broken the law.

Hugh 31-01-2012 22:08

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by New to cable (Post 35372590)
Sky World+HD+Multiroom= RRP £72 Minimum (Monthly) (£864 yearly)

VirginmediaXL+Multiroom+Skysports/Movies+HD =RRP £76.50 Minimum (Monthly) (£918 yearly)

Freeview + Netlfix+DNS Tweak to access the US version of Netflix =RRP £6 (Monthly) (£72 yearly)

Strange....

When I go to the VM site, I get a different figure from you - can I ask how you arrived at £76.50?

I get £69.50 (which includes ESPN, unlike the Sky offering), for

New to cable 01-02-2012 11:18

Monthly cost
Your bundle

£30.50

Your extras

£46.00
Total

£76.50
One-off cost

£49.95

Your services
TV XL
TV extras
TiVo Service
ESPN
Additional V HD Box - HD activated
Sky Sports & Movies Collection
Sky Premium HD

Yes you get ESPN with Virginmedia but you get extras on Sky also but this is not the Sky v Virgin thread you seem to be trying very hard to turn it into.

I understand you are some kind of one man Virginmedia defense force but I really don't care. I was just pointing out for £6 a month Netflix is great value when compared to large companies like Sky, or even the small players like Virgin.

New to cable 01-02-2012 16:01

Factor in the upcoming price rise for XLtv your looking at £78+ for VM a month

Hugh 01-02-2012 16:04

How come you get a different price to the one I get from the VM website?

I get £39.50 for the "your extras". as shown on screen print.

New to cable 01-02-2012 16:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35373486)
How come you get a different price to the one I get from the VM website?

I get £39.50 for the "your extras". as shown on screen print.

Because you didn't add the "Premium HD" pack which gives Movies and Sports in HD. Its included in the Sky HD pack. But seperate on Virginmedia.

Also if you include ESPN on Sky it would come to £80 because ESPN is discounted if you have Skysports so you would pay £1 more with Sky but get lots more channels eg

Atlantic
ESPN America HD

ITV2HD ITV3.........................................Ha! I'm not going downt hat route, this is simply a thread to highlight Netflix as an option/Alternative.