Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Science & Technology (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Recommended Android apps (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33669110)

Osem 01-09-2010 12:12

Recommended Android apps

Thought it might be time to have a thread on this subject as I couldn't find one.

Anyone got any tips for top Android apps - or rubbish ones for that matter?

The wife's looking for an app which provides alert reminders for things like missed calls and text messages as her phone strangely doesn't appear to have that facility. We're reluctant, however, just to download stuff without knowing if it's any good, or more importantly might cause problems so any recommendations would be very welcome.

Wayfair 01-09-2010 12:24

Re: Recommended Android apps

Would help if you told us the phone, on me Galaxy S, SMS Popup has a reminder function.

I also use.

3g watchdog for 2/3g data usage.

Quick Settings, one click control for wifi, 2/3g, bluetooth, brightness, etc.

Advanced Task Killer, improves battery life by killing unused apps, set it to auto kill on the highest setting when the screen closes.

Drocap2, for screenshots.

Droid Wall, firewall.

appsaver, saves all your apps incase you have to stick them back in for any reason.

Save MMS, auto puts the pics etc from a mms on your sd card.

Loads more...

Osem 01-09-2010 14:14

Sorry should've been clearer. ;)

The wife has an LGGT540 Optimus but whilst we'd like some specific suggestions for that phone. She has a few already but wants something to offer a periodic audio reminder of a missed call or text. It's a feature she's found really useful on her old phones and is missing it terribly. (I'm also keen for her to have it so that she can't keep pretending she didn't realise I'd been trying to get hold of her... :) )

However, hopefully, this thread could be used for all Android phones or is that unrealistic?

I'm sure there are recommended sites for downloading these things so a list of those might help people like us who don't know much about these things and don't want to get caught out downloading things which aren't quite what they seem from sites which aren't safe. Where did you download your apps from?

Acathla 01-09-2010 14:39

Note that some of the apps Wayfair listed are only available for 'rooted' phones.

You'll want to download your apps form the Market - the only official source of android apps. Also have a look at www.appbrain.com for a web gui of market contents.

For your specific issue, have a look at 'Missed Call' by Anno - it might offer the functionality you require.

As for general apps I use too many to start to recommend ones - it really depends on your requirements. The most frequent;y used apps on my phone are:

Twitter
Facebook
NewsRob - Sync with Google Reader
Record IT - Sky+ Remote Record (although Sky now do their own free version)
Subsonic Music Streamer - need to run the Subsonic server software to be of any use
Soccer Livescores - Up to date footy scores

Other useful apps may include:
TripAdvisor
IMDB

---------- Post added at 13:39 ---------- Previous post was at 13:37 ----------

heck, if you really want a nosey, here's a list of everything on my phone at the moment. I am rooted so don't expect to get all of them on yours.

http://www.appbrain.com/user/smcgirr...-the-htc-magic

Osem 01-09-2010 14:44

TVM - will look into those. :tu:

........and have a peek at what's on your phone later.... ;)

haydnwalker 01-09-2010 15:41

My Wife uses AppKiller on her G1 and I must admit, it does save battery life :)

colin25 01-09-2010 18:14

Flashlight app..a life saver

xthedarkhourx 01-09-2010 23:19

I have recently got the SE Xperia, changed from the iPhone recently. I'm looking for a couple of good radio apps if anyone knows of any? I haven't been able to stream from the stations websites directly :(

punky 01-09-2010 23:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35083503)
The wife's looking for an app which provides alert reminders for things like missed calls and text messages as her phone strangely doesn't appear to have that facility. We're reluctant, however, just to download stuff without knowing if it's any good, or more importantly might cause problems so any recommendations would be very welcome.

That's the first app I look for. Hardly any phones have it nowadays.

I used Missed Call for Android.

3G Watchdog is a must nowadays.

ChompSMS is very good.

Horace 01-09-2010 23:45

Wifi tether (Free) https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...010/09/119.png

Needs root!

Osem 02-09-2010 13:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by punky (Post 35083911)
That's the first app I look for. Hardly any phones have it nowadays.

I used Missed Call for Android.

3G Watchdog is a must nowadays.

ChompSMS is very good.

Thanks matey - will suggest missed call to her. :tu:

colin25 04-09-2010 19:24

"Angry birds", just got it in beta

Not a diatribe from some repressed females :) , but an addictive game

danielf 04-09-2010 23:07

If you do any kind of cycling/running: mytracks is free and logs all your data. Distance, average speed, average moving speed and elevation data/max gradients. Works seemlessly with google maps. Maps can be added later if you want to save on your allowance.

Apparently, that tough climb we did today has an 18.5% section in it :shocked:

Russ 04-09-2010 23:14

Hullomail is good, it replaces your operator's voicemail system and when someone leaves you a messages it stores it but also emails it to you as well.

colin25 16-10-2010 08:53

Angry Birds...full version out...fantastic game...worth getting and free

I think there is a lesson for life..angry birds should be for free...happy ones cost money

:D