Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Electric heating only? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710029)

Taf 18-05-2021 10:16

Electric heating only?

Quote:

The International Energy Agency (IEA) says that no new fossil fuel boilers should be sold from 2025.

The IEA says that from now, there is no place for new coal, oil or gas exploration or supplies.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-57149059

With domestic electricity costs running around 5 times that of gas, and many countries close to the limit on domestic electricity consumption, will the future be cold with brownouts and blackouts?

And that's even before the power required to charge all the electric vehicles that will be replacing petrol and diesel ones.

Chris 18-05-2021 10:39

Re: Electric heating only?

I think there may be a caveat in that recommendation for boilers that can burn hydrogen, or a hydrogen methane mix. If we do have to go all electric then it will be via heat pumps, which can produce a 25kW heat requirement from 8-12 kW of electricity.

Carth 18-05-2021 10:45

We'll be back to burning logs, peat and coal soon enough, everything goes in cycles . . . including the conclusive facts and evidence put forward by the experts in such matters.

Back to the stone ages once we run out of the rare materials to make these brilliant new energy devices :p:

tweetiepooh 18-05-2021 10:51

We'd better get our boiler replaced soon then. I can't see heat pumps working as you can't just turn them on if the temperature drops suddenly.

Whatever you say about gas boilers they are efficient. And surely it's better to burn gas to heat water locally than burn gas to make electricity, step up, transfer, step down, transfer, step down and use that to heat water with some loss at each stage?

heero_yuy 18-05-2021 10:53

According to this air heat pump guide an electric air heat pump costs about the same per delivered KWh as a gas boiler. There are caveats though including high up-front costs but grants are available under the Renewable Heat Incentive payments.

papa smurf 18-05-2021 11:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36079895)
We'll be back to burning logs, peat and coal soon enough, everything goes in cycles . . . including the conclusive facts and evidence put forward by the experts in such matters.

Back to the stone ages once we run out of the rare materials to make these brilliant new energy devices :p:

What do you mean by "be back to":confused:

Carth 18-05-2021 11:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36079902)
What do you mean by "be back to":confused:

I meant the rest of the Country papa, we've always been refined over this way and know which side of our toast is burnt buttered :)

papa smurf 18-05-2021 11:34

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36079910)
I meant the rest of the Country papa, we've always been refined over this way and know which side of our toast is burnt buttered :)

But your neighbours don't seem to be so refined

Carth 18-05-2021 12:07

I'm on the clean side to the West ;)

anyway, that dirty lot there are slowly succumbing to the clean environment idea . . . or will be when it's mothballed

Sephiroth 18-05-2021 15:09

I doubt that the public will stand for that. The economics won’t stand up. The Guvmin doesn’t have the money to build loads of new nuclear power stations, the peops won’t have the money to redesign their homes.

It’s hogwash - but it’ll be fun watching the Greens squirm when the difficult questions are put to them.

Won’t planting trillions of trees or summat help?

papa smurf 18-05-2021 15:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36079948)
I doubt that the public will stand for that. The economics won’t stand up. The Guvmin doesn’t have the money to build loads of new nuclear power stations, the peops won’t have the money to redesign their homes.

It’s hogwash - but it’ll be fun watching the Greens squirm when the difficult questions are put to them.

Won’t planting trillions of trees or summat help?

Good supply of logs ;)

Chris 18-05-2021 15:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 36079897)
We'd better get our boiler replaced soon then. I can't see heat pumps working as you can't just turn them on if the temperature drops suddenly.

Whatever you say about gas boilers they are efficient. And surely it's better to burn gas to heat water locally than burn gas to make electricity, step up, transfer, step down, transfer, step down and use that to heat water with some loss at each stage?

Heat pumps do work. My next door neighbour has one. The only thing stopping me getting one is that our house is exceptionally poorly insulated and rather draughty. They work most effectively at a lower output temperature than a gas boiler which means decent home insulation is a must. At present we have a biomass boiler but in the long run biomass is a less environmentally friendly solution than renewable electricity so before the boiler is life-expired, the insulation work will have to be done in order to allow for a heat pump to replace it.

Taf 18-05-2021 19:49

It was not too long ago that HMG was going-on about home gas boilers being used to generate electricity.

There were surveys done in several local gardens in out area with probes placed at various depths in the soil. The outcome was a definite NO to heat pumps being a good idea around here. The survey was done by a consortium of heat pump manufacturers and installers.

And one family got told to remove the windmill they erected in their back garden. And only after a few weeks. No-one I talked to ever heard any noise at all. But the complaints were found to come from bird lovers.

The local housing associations have been very good at fitting solar panels, but all the output is sold to the grid. The council thought about them, then after paying a fortune for consultants, the idea was dropped (as has their plan to change all street lights to LED).

Mad Max 18-05-2021 20:07

There will be a lot of gas engineers out of a job if this happens unless their skills can be used on the new setup.

Jaymoss 18-05-2021 20:18

There is as much of a chance of meeting that target as Accrington Stanley have of winning the 2022 FA Cup

( someone say it come on hehehehe )

1andrew1 18-05-2021 20:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36079970)
There will be a lot of gas engineers out of a job if this happens unless their skills can be used on the new setup.

Lots of work for them in disconnecting the current boilers even if they choose not to re-train in the new set-up. ;)

Chris 18-05-2021 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36079967)
It was not too long ago that HMG was going-on about home gas boilers being used to generate electricity.

There were surveys done in several local gardens in out area with probes placed at various depths in the soil. The outcome was a definite NO to heat pumps being a good idea around here. The survey was done by a consortium of heat pump manufacturers and installers.

And one family got told to remove the windmill they erected in their back garden. And only after a few weeks. No-one I talked to ever heard any noise at all. But the complaints were found to come from bird lovers.

The local housing associations have been very good at fitting solar panels, but all the output is sold to the grid. The council thought about them, then after paying a fortune for consultants, the idea was dropped (as has their plan to change all street lights to LED).

Nobody’s talking about ground source heat pumps any more - air source pumps are as efficient now as ground source ones were a decade ago, and they have the advantage of not destroying your garden or needing a 100 metre deep borehole under your patio.

There’s nothing remotely controversial about the technology - they are to all intents and purposes the same as the air-con units you see mounted on the back of every office and large shop in the country. A big fan and a compressor, designed to collect heat from one environment and shunt it to another.

Jaymoss 18-05-2021 20:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36079974)
Nobody’s talking about ground source heat pumps any more - air source pumps are as efficient now as ground source ones were a decade ago, and they have the advantage of not destroying your garden or needing a 100 metre deep borehole under your patio.

There’s nothing remotely controversial about the technology - they are to all intents and purposes the same as the air-con units you see mounted on the back of every office and large shop in the country. A big fan and a compressor, designed to collect heat from one environment and shunt it to another.

How about cost? I doubt there will be millions in the kitty for grants. Are they likely to be similar to just buying a boiler or how I expect is astronomically higher in cost

A quick google says £6 to 8K

Mad Max 18-05-2021 20:59

The heat pumps use refrigerant, an air source heat pump costs more than a new gas or oil-fired central heating system. The typical air source heat pump cost ranges from £4,000-8,000, depending on the pump brand and its heat output.

Jaymoss 18-05-2021 21:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36079979)
The heat pumps use refrigerant, an air source heat pump costs more than a new gas or oil-fired central heating system. The typical air source heat pump cost ranges from £4,000-8,000, depending on the pump brand and its heat output.

Sometimes you got to be grateful for living in a council house

Chris 18-05-2021 21:09

Quote:

That’s entirely down to economies of scale though. If every house in the country had one they’d be no more expensive than a gas boiler.

Sephiroth 18-05-2021 21:23

Quote:

Homes would currently spend p.a. between £1,000 and £2,500 (or more) on gas for heating/cooking. Apart from unemployment at British Gas, it seems to me that the £8,000 heat pump cost is an easily mortgageable item.

Carth 18-05-2021 21:26

How long will they last?
What's the service cost every year?
Does the electricity useage increase by a large amount?
Do they work better in Summer or Winter - does extreme air temperature affect performance?

My 20+ year old gas boiler is still going, it'll probably outlast me ;) :D

nomadking 18-05-2021 21:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36079981)
That’s entirely down to economies of scale though. If every house in the country had one they’d be no more expensive than a gas boiler.

That assumes that the majority of the cost is the heat pump system itself.
The costs involved with installing won't change. Having to rip out existing central heating systems won't come cheap.

Jaymoss 18-05-2021 21:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36079984)
Homes would currently spend p.a. between £1,000 and £2,500 (or more) on gas for heating/cooking. Apart from unemployment at British Gas, it seems to me that the £8,000 heat pump cost is an easily mortgageable item.

not everyone can put their hands on 8K easily. Plus I have never met anyone pay 2.5K a year on gas. Unless you do in your mansion or castle hehehehe

---------- Post added at 21:43 ---------- Previous post was at 21:42 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36079988)
That assumes that the majority of the cost is the heat pump system itself.
The costs involved with installing won't change. Having to rip out existing central heating systems won't come cheap.

plus it is going to make a mess of the property. So 8K for heat pump assuming that is all in they what another 2K for redecorating. That is a hefty bill

Chris 18-05-2021 21:45

Yes, they have to work harder the colder the outdoor air is - there’s less energy in the colder air so the pump has to use more energy and drive more air through itself in order to achieve the target temperature indoors. If he house is poorly insulated and prone to losing heat easily then the problem is all the more acute. The UK’s particular problem is that we have been spoiled by cheap energy (abundant coal, then natural gas) so we have had no particular incentive to spend on energy efficient homes. So before you install a heat pump you have to make sure the house is well insulated.

Service and spares are hard to quantify in any meaningful way because those costs come down with economies of scale just as the installation cost does. But the machinery is not fundamentally difficult. How often does your fridge/freezer break down? It’s the same principle on a smaller scale.

1andrew1 18-05-2021 21:46

These are not small sums but presumably money can be borrowed over a long period of time to finance them. And the cost of dealing with extreme weather due to global warming doesn't come cheap either, even if the UK is less affected at the moment than some other countries.

Jaymoss 18-05-2021 21:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36079993)
These are not small sums but presumably money can be borrowed over a long period of time to finance them. And the cost of dealing with extreme weather due to global warming doesn't come cheap either, even if the UK is less affected at the moment than some other countries.

so the large sum becomes an even larger sum due to interest?

1andrew1 18-05-2021 22:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36079994)

Depends how it's handled. Interest rates are very low at the moment so the government may decide to underwrite such heating investment and make loans interest free.

The alternative is higher taxes to pay for the impacts of global warming so it's more of a necessity than a luxury.

Sephiroth 18-05-2021 22:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36079994)

That's what mortgages are for.

Jaymoss 18-05-2021 22:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36079997)
That's what mortgages are for.

You Sir must live in a different world to me posting like a 10K debt is easily managed

Paul 18-05-2021 22:29

Another bunch of egg heads with no sense of reality.

Sephiroth 18-05-2021 22:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36079999)
You Sir must live in a different world to me posting like a 10K debt is easily managed

With my mortgage already paid, I'd have to take a mortgage loan for as many years as it would take to pay my gas bill equivalent to the lender.

A 4 bedroom detached home can easily cost £2,000 p.a. for energy, although I stand corrected in so far as my total bill is about £2,400 p.a. of which £800 is electricity.

TheDaddy 19-05-2021 03:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36079895)

Peat is one of the worst things we can burn, peat bogs contain so much carbon that otherwise would never get released into the atmosphere, so much so in the future I wouldn't be shocked to see their carbon capturing abilities used in the fight against climate change

---------- Post added at 03:35 ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36080004)
With my mortgage already paid, I'd have to take a mortgage loan for as many years as it would take to pay my gas bill equivalent to the lender.

A 4 bedroom detached home can easily cost £2,000 p.a. for energy, although I stand corrected in so far as my total bill is about £2,400 p.a. of which £800 is electricity.

I'd say mine is less than £200 per year and that includes the poxy standing charge

Carth 19-05-2021 11:23

Hmm yes, this glorious fight against climate change that keeps rearing it's head when people want me to spend more money.

I'm expected to spend 'up to' £8k on a new heating system that may, or may not, be as good as the one I currently have.
My washing machine is 'eco friendly' and only has a cold fill water inlet, which means it has to heat up the water instead of using the hot water already available in a tank upstairs . . . and takes over 2 hours to do a decent wash/rinse cycle.
A house full of 'low energy' light bulbs that probably use more energy to make than I save by using them.

In the meantime, 5 miles away is a steelworks pumping out more crap in an hour than I could make in 6 months, served by a road network full of vehicles adding to the problem, and a large new 'new village' build underway on a designated flood plain.

. . and that's just local, in a Country that actually has (and tries to hit) emission targets instead of burning their forests down.

Well that's my mid week moan out of the way, I guess I should now look around on which destination I should fly to for a nice 2 week holiday in the sun :p:

Jaymoss 19-05-2021 11:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36080039)
Hmm yes, this glorious fight against climate change that keeps rearing it's head when people want me to spend more money.

I'm expected to spend 'up to' £8k on a new heating system that may, or may not, be as good as the one I currently have.
My washing machine is 'eco friendly' and only has a cold fill water inlet, which means it has to heat up the water instead of using the hot water already available in a tank upstairs . . . and takes over 2 hours to do a decent wash/rinse cycle.
A house full of 'low energy' light bulbs that probably use more energy to make than I save by using them.

In the meantime, 5 miles away is a steelworks pumping out more crap in an hour than I could make in 6 months, served by a road network full of vehicles adding to the problem, and a large new 'new village' build underway on a designated flood plain.

. . and that's just local, in a Country that actually has (and tries to hit) emission targets instead of burning their forests down.

Well that's my mid week moan out of the way, I guess I should now look around on which destination I should fly to for a nice 2 week holiday in the sun :p:

was discussing this with my father and he was telling me it is all well and good in a new property but older houses that obviously are not designed for it the costs will be be far greater and the inconvenience and disruption as your home gets ripped apart adds to that

The largest polluters in the world are not doing much so end of the day we are just getting our shoes wet

1andrew1 19-05-2021 14:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36080039)

Some good points in your rant about joined-up thinking.

On forests, we burnt ours down a long time ago but that doesn't make us much better. We need to start replanting them, which I think is what we're doing on a small scale.

tweetiepooh 19-05-2021 14:10

Boilers also heat hot water. We have a combi so no water storage. Gas is cheaper per kWh than lekky.

And really don't want anything noisier than radiator system. I hate fan noise and switch off A/C when abroad at night, use it to cool the room when lights are on. Then close curtains, open windows, A/C off, lights off overnight.

Also people dry things on radiators or near radiators. And lean against them for comfort. Just something nice about a nice hot radiator.

Chris 19-05-2021 14:35

The heat pump fan is outdoors. It doesn’t even have to be right outside - it can go at the bottom of the garden. Once the heat is collected it is passed through a heat exchanger to either underfloor pipes or radiators in order to heat the room. It isn’t a fan heater system. Provided you install a radiator rather than an underfloor system your heat pump will also have a flow temperature in excess of 55c and will also provide hot water.

It also outputs around 2-3 kW of heat for every 1 kW of electricity it uses, while a modern gas boiler puts around 0.9 kW of heat into your home for every 1 kW of energy in the gas supply. Yes, electricity is more expensive than gas, but there’s no direct comparison between a gas boiler and a heat pump, such as you might expect to make between a gas boiler and an electrically heated radiator.

It sounds very much to me as if you’re objecting to something you actually don’t know anything about. These things really do work - I’m looking at one out of my window right now, and it’s been very happily heating my next door neighbour’s house all through the last season.

heero_yuy 28-05-2021 10:49

Quote:

Quote from The Sun: Millions of cash-strapped Brits will be able to afford to rip out their boilers and install eco-heat pumps within months, green campaigners say today.

After a furious backlash at Government plans to try and force Brits to swap over their dirty gas boilers as part of moves to go green, experts said it wouldn't be long before the price is slashed to affordable levels.

At the moment they can set Brits back on average £10,000, but by making more of them in Britain, firms are confident the price will halve within 18 months to around £5,500.

And together with new grants, it may mean that the cost of an eco-heat pump could be as low as £1,500 - the price of some boilers.
You'll still need to up radiator sizes and improve insulation but at least the "boiler" costs may be reasonable.

Carth 28-05-2021 11:40

When the Govt. and Eco groups give me a 75% reduction on price and fitting I'll consider it.

Until then, the aging gas boiler will stay :D

1andrew1 28-05-2021 13:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36081129)
When the Govt. and Eco groups give me a 75% reduction on price and fitting I'll consider it.

Until then, the aging gas boiler will stay :D

I'm sure uptake will be like other things - early adopters who pay through the nose. Most people who pay once prices have come down once electric heating becomes mainstream. Late-converters who will hold out until the tax on gas makes it unviable to continue with their present set-up.

papa smurf 28-05-2021 13:13

i look forward to the blackouts when the infrastructure can't cope with demand.

1andrew1 28-05-2021 13:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36081133)
i look forward to the blackouts when the infrastructure can't cope with demand.

Chuck a solar panel and wind turbine on the boat and you'll be covered whatever the weather. ;)

papa smurf 28-05-2021 13:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36081134)
Chuck a solar panel and wind turbine on the boat and you'll be covered whatever the weather. ;)

Already have 2 panels 200w, only really effective June -august low sun = low volts/amps.

Carth 28-05-2021 15:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36081135)
Already have 2 panels 200w, only really effective June -august low sun = low volts/amps.

Sail nearer to the Equator ;)

Chris 28-05-2021 16:04

We use solar thermal panels alongside our biomass boiler. In summer, one sunny day provides us with 2-3 days of hot water. Even in mid-winter a sunny day lifts the cylinder temperature to around 30c so we burn less wood heating it the rest of the way.

1andrew1 28-05-2021 16:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36081135)

Get the wind turbine and sail close to the wind. ;)

Taf 28-05-2021 16:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36081132)
Late-converters who will hold out until the tax on gas makes it unviable to continue with their present set-up.

I remember when we changed over from "town" (coal) gas to natural gas. If you didn't get your boiler, gas fire and cooker adapted (free) you had your gas cut off until you did.

pip08456 28-05-2021 17:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36081172)
I remember when we changed over from "town" (coal) gas to natural gas. If you didn't get your boiler, gas fire and cooker adapted (free) you had your gas cut off until you did.

I should think so too as there was an explosion risk.