Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : Tech advice on upgrade (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704656)

kered10 23-03-2017 16:32

Tech advice on upgrade

I'm not in a big hurry to upgrade to V6, but when I do make the leap, I'll need to change my setup, which currently has:

Roof aerial to splitter, one branch to LG Smart TV, one branch into coax combiner.

Virgin coax into TiVo, HDMI out to LG Smart TV, Scart out to RF modulator. RF/coax out joins in with combiner above to send combined signal to second room (via booster amplifier) where the non-smart TV can see the same thing as the TiVo outputs, by analog tuner, and also tunes digitally to all the Freeview channels.

If I did order a V6, and moved the other TiVo to the second room, would Virgin be prepared to use my (good quality) coax to feed their signal to the TiVo in the second room, where I could use powerline to give it the connection to the router (the other room has hard wired connection to the router in a third room!) and use the multi-room functions that Virgin offer.

If not, I could just upgrade my existing setup, ditch the old TiVo, and as there is no RF out or Scart out from V6, I would need to shell out for either HDMI-via-powerline, or HDMI-via-coax, to feed the V6 output to the second room.

As I said at the start, this isn't really imminent, just pondering options. Any thoughts welcome.

Derek

weesteev 23-03-2017 17:40

Re: Tech advice on upgrade

Impossible to tell, only way they couldn't use it if it isn't triple shielded cabling which is our standard spec. Anything less then our compression fittings wont work on it. Is there no way to change out the current coax?

kered10 24-03-2017 18:09

Thanks for the advice. It's ages since the coax was installed (20years?) and is inconvenient to remove/replace. We shall see...
Derek

kered10 29-03-2017 11:26

I've just had a thought. My current setup lets me see the TiVo output in a second room via an RF modulator. My existing coax run might not be up to the triple shielded standard required to relocate the TiVo.
If I had a V6 installed in the same room as the current TiVo, I could just continue using my existing setup to send the old TiVo signal to the second room.
Or would there be a clash between the old TiVo and the V6, being in the same room, including from the use of remote controls?
Derek

BenMcr 29-03-2017 15:56

As long as you could put the V6 out of sight, there wouldn't be a clash.

The V6 remote uses RF to control the V6 box, and normally only outputs a 'standard' remote signal to control a TV. So commands from the V6 remote wouldn't affect the older TiVo.

However the V6 will respond to commands from an older TiVo remote, so if there is line of sight between the older remote and the V6 in addition to the TiVo, you could end up controlling both at the same time.