Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media News Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Virgin Media freezes line rental for elderly and disabled landline customers (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704062)

Martin_D 01-12-2016 15:13

Virgin Media freezes line rental for elderly and disabled landline customers

Virgin Media has launched a new “Talk Protected” plan which will freeze line rental for its elderly and disabled customers who rely on their home phone the most.

This is a comprehensive phone-only plan designed for those who are often underserved in the UK telecoms market, have less choice and are not able to take full advantage of technology upgrades and new services.

Customers currently on Virgin Media’s phone-only plans who are over the age of 65, or have additional accessibility needs including hearing, sight, speech and mobility issues, will be upgraded to the new tier from January 2017.

Press Release: http://www.virginmedia.com/corporate...customers.html

Taf 01-12-2016 16:47

Re: Virgin Media freezes line rental for elderly and disabled landline customers

BT used to offer similar, I got huge phone bills when they stopped it as we had to call hospitals, clinics and the like very often to support our twins.

A shame it's for phone-only customers though.

Inactive Digital 01-12-2016 17:47

Re: Virgin Media freezes line rental for elderly and disabled landline customers

A nice move. My nan used to ne clobbered by Virgin with paper billing and non-DD charges.
It would be interesting to know how many customers will actually benefit from this though - I suspect very few in reality. Virgin haven't sold a landline-only service for several years, you've had to take another product as well, so it will only apply to customers on legacy tariffs.

Given Virgin and BT seem to have been frequntly quoted in press articles today as having the most expensive landline charges in the industry, I wonder if this is so they can claim to be cheaper - i.e. landline costs from £17.99.

Ken W 01-12-2016 17:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin_D (Post 35873020)
Virgin Media has launched a new “Talk Protected” plan which will freeze line rental for its elderly and disabled customers who rely on their home phone the most.

This is a comprehensive phone-only plan designed for those who are often underserved in the UK telecoms market, have less choice and are not able to take full advantage of technology upgrades and new services.

Customers currently on Virgin Media’s phone-only plans who are over the age of 65, or have additional accessibility needs including hearing, sight, speech and mobility issues, will be upgraded to the new tier from January 2017.

I am over 65, I have hearing impairment and I mobility disabled but as I have both TV and BB as my only entertainment I am barred from this the freezing of line rental!

So this is how VM treat there long standing customers, shame on VM!

denphone 01-12-2016 17:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken W (Post 35873064)
I am over 65, I have hearing impairment and I mobility disabled but as I have both TV and BB as my only entertainment I am barred from this the freezing of line rental!

Yes it is rather disappointing that this only includes standalone phone customers.

Paul 01-12-2016 19:04

This is aimed at those needing a phone service, but struggling to afford it, so presumably if you have other services they deem you able to afford the phone.

Ken W 01-12-2016 19:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35873082)
This is aimed at those needing a phone service, but struggling to afford it, so presumably if you have other services they deem you able to afford the phone.

As I said I am mobility disabled so cannot get out and my only entertainment is the TV and BB.

denphone 01-12-2016 19:50

One would suspect there would be quite a few like you Ken l would imagine.

Paul 01-12-2016 22:22

A phone is considered to be essential, the Internet & Paid TV are not.

sollp 01-12-2016 22:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken W (Post 35873064)

Can't please everyone. I have a sore foot so do i deserve it? No doubt now there will thousand of disabled this disabled that, i've got this i've got that, screaming down the phone that they should also have it.

And you say SHAME on VM for treating there long standing customers like this?? It's a good move for the real needy and real vulnerable. I've paid my way for years, why can't i have a free service? Why can't i be first?

RobboEdin 01-12-2016 23:00

...and let's not forget that, if you are on a bundle, you're already probably paying less than the full £19 for the landline and likely even less than the £17.99 of this offer.

Skie 01-12-2016 23:34

Seems pretty paltry, especially as it's for phone only customers and line rental is already overpriced. Freezing a high price is only a good deal if it stays frozen for a few years.

BT offer a £5.10 per month offer for people on certain benefits, which luckily my 90 year old gran qualifies for. For an extra £5 a month she also gets broadband. Plus BT actually have a team of people dedicated to their older customers, so they dont have to deal with offshore agents and they are great when dealing with grandkids who are helping out :)

raging bull 02-12-2016 09:25

My 96yr old mother has free TV (M) together with phone, although I believe she isn't registered as an old/disabled customer.
As she hasn't a bank account, all payments are managed by a younger member of family.

jodash 02-12-2016 11:35

Interesting topic I'm mentally disabled and spend most of the time watching TV I'm 65

RichardCoulter 02-12-2016 14:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin_D (Post 35873020)

Interesting, thanks for posting this.

It won't benefit me personally, but I know some disabled people who will, so shall pass this on :)

---------- Post added at 14:58 ---------- Previous post was at 14:56 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by sollp (Post 35873133)
Can't please everyone. I have a sore foot so do i deserve it? No doubt now there will thousand of disabled this disabled that, i've got this i've got that, screaming down the phone that they should also have it.

And you say SHAME on VM for treating there long standing customers like this?? It's a good move for the real needy and real vulnerable. I've paid my way for years, why can't i have a free service? Why can't i be first?

Ridiculous post.

Simply having a temporary sore foot would not qualify someone for disability services as i'm sure you are aware.

They will probably use various criteria such as being in receipt of certain benefits, receiving Local Authority services etc.

Gloating that you're able to pay your own way isn't helpful to the disabled who aren't able to, don't forget that many of them worked when they could.

I plan to work for as long as I can, but have had to reduce my hours.