Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   HD is overrated (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33650311)

Stuart 21-05-2009 09:36

Re: HD is overrated

Probably because Sky are paying all the UK HD providers a lot of money for exclusive rights..

cupcakes aka dd 21-05-2009 09:40

Have you seen South Pacific on BBC HD. Stunning. There's no going back.

Stephen 21-05-2009 09:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Product 13 (Post 34799310)
Why do Virgin only have one HD channel?

Don't start that one off lol.

Its a combination of being slow on deciding that people want HD and now that are looking to add channels Sky has pretty much taken control of that market.

Virgin are currently negotiating with various channels and hope to have 5-6 channels launched this year but there seem to be a lot of contractual issues and its taking longer than they intitially suggested.

Stuart 21-05-2009 10:06

As for whether I think HD is overrated.. It depends on the content. Lost, for instance, doesn't really gain much from being in HD. Yes, the scenery is stunning (as are Evangeline Lilly and Elizabeth Mitchell), but it doesn't actually add to the story.

Anything that relies (at least partly) on visual impact does gain from being in HD. Heroes does. 24 does. Battlestar Galactica does. Most nature documentaries do, because most of them seem to have at least a couple of shots where you see the true spectacle of Nature (whether it be something big like a lion attacking prey or something small like an ant going through it's nest).

Similarly with films, I find the the big action films (Transformers, Spiderman etc) tend to look absolutely stunning on Blu Ray, but the difference is not so noticeable on smaller, character-driven films.

I think Homealone gave the right advice. At least he gave the advice I would give to anyone considering HD. Take a look. If possible go down to your local home cinema/hifi shop, assuming you have one and look at a few sets. It's better to go to one of these rather than a chain electrical store or department store as the staff are more likely to know what they are talking about.

one2escape 21-05-2009 17:06

Normal tv is like sex with a condom while HD is without one. While its still enjoyable with one its much better without one!

matt-h 21-05-2009 17:56

Havig lived with SkyHD for a while i cant go back to watching footbal in smearovision anymore. Skys SD sport isnt bad on a 1080 tv ( itv is appalling ) but the HD sport is just awesome.

I mean just look at the difference on that split screen sky sports ad.

That is how much difference there is..once youve had HD you cant go back

I feel sorry for those that want to leave virgin but cant as the hd content virgin has is woeful

Ben B 21-05-2009 18:05

I feel that the way HD is advertised is ridiculous. A recent advert I came across was a TV which has no motion blur but they demonstrate that there is no blur on your own television! Therefore telling the viewer that they have no need to go and purchase the advertised television.

rogerdraig 21-05-2009 19:31

i would still say hd is overrated if you are just talking about sky / virgin hd channels seen both on various tvs and i wouldnt pay extra fot it though i am considering ( waiting for tv to go to heaven lol hate getting rid of working things ) getting a new 1080p to watch the blue ray films i am slowly collecting

but my crt wide screan honestly looks very good the lcd/plasma tvs are only just getting to the point where they are much better than it to imho justify getting one

---------- Post added at 19:31 ---------- Previous post was at 19:11 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben B (Post 34799625)
I feel that the way HD is advertised is ridiculous. A recent advert I came across was a TV which has no motion blur but they demonstrate that there is no blur on your own television! Therefore telling the viewer that they have no need to go and purchase the advertised television.

lol ;)

ilovehd 21-05-2009 21:51

No way is hd over rated i recently spent a few days staying with my mum her other half is a sky engineer he has hd in the living room on his 50'' lcd and DAM u notice the difference big time watching movies and football in hd is like 20times better i was gobsmacked when u see how clear it is hence im going to sky for the hd content alone has sold it for me! And they transmit in 5.1 which virgin dont.

Andrewcrawford23 21-05-2009 22:01

If people want a real compasion of HD and SD, tesco are pushing sky hd just now they are also showing you a movie with a scroll bar that scrolls form one side ot the other showing oyu with and without hd even my wife who couldnt see the difference did with that

zing_deleted 21-05-2009 22:17

upscaled SD on a good TV is good but as you move closer to the screen you can see obvious signs of the interlacing.

On the BBC HD channel these signs when watching Robin Hood for example are gone(even though its still inerlaced) this in itself is a massive improvement. Also HD tv rips from the stats are impressive whether they are 720 or 1080 they are still a lot better that SD upscaled. You also have to bare in mind there are hdready tvs and HD Ready tvs and you get what you pay for

Ben B 22-05-2009 11:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovehd (Post 34799789)
is like 20times better

You're over exaggerating a bit, HD is 4 times the picture detail ;)

lauzjp 22-05-2009 12:27

When there used to be a Sony shop and a tv shop in town, I did stop and gawp at the hd tv's. They do look pretty stunning, but then again, so do some 'ordinary' tv's. :)

akki007 22-05-2009 12:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Product 13 (Post 34799290)
The HD content I've seen (SKY) is breathtaking.

Breathtaking? I doubt that. Breathtaking is watching the new Star Trek film in digital at a new cinema. Upscaled SD content on Sky is hardly breathtaking.

Placebo.

---------- Post added at 12:33 ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrewcrawford23 (Post 34799794)
If people want a real compasion of HD and SD, tesco are pushing sky hd just now they are also showing you a movie with a scroll bar that scrolls form one side ot the other showing oyu with and without hd even my wife who couldnt see the difference did with that

Thats because that isn't an HD feed, it's SD showing a rediculously blurred image being sharpened to SD! It's a marketing gimmic...that apparently works.

---------- Post added at 12:34 ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by rogermevans (Post 34799658)
i would still say hd is overrated if you are just talking about sky / virgin hd channels seen both on various tvs and i wouldnt pay extra fot it though i am considering ( waiting for tv to go to heaven lol hate getting rid of working things ) getting a new 1080p to watch the blue ray films i am slowly collecting

but my crt wide screan honestly looks very good the lcd/plasma tvs are only just getting to the point where they are much better than it to imho justify getting one

---------- Post added at 19:31 ---------- Previous post was at 19:11 ----------

lol ;)

Plasmas have been there for years. LCDs will never reach that quality.

gadge 22-05-2009 12:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnightRider (Post 34799241)
I agree totally. The vast majority of HD screened on the various Sky HD channels is upscaled material. Apart from movies and live sport not a lot of choice. So a good quality tv and a HD box that upscales will show little difference to the average punter. Blueray yes different matter different ball park for quality.

Yes but dont forget the discoverys and nat geo wild hist ect that show all hd material.