Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media News Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Could VM/LG be taking over Vodafone? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704821)

RichardCoulter 27-04-2017 02:00

Could VM/LG be taking over Vodafone?

Chad posted this link elsewhere regarding Vodafone having to pay penalties for abandoning it's UK Pay TV venture:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...-tv-ambitions/

What I found interesting was right at the end...

denphone 27-04-2017 04:39

Re: Could VM/LG be taking over Vodafone?

l doubt it is the answer to that one..

jb66 27-04-2017 07:17

Virgin just signed a long contract with EE for virgin mobile, looks like that ship has sailed

Inactive Digital 27-04-2017 10:16

It's interesting and unusual that the forthcoming results are being released on a Sunday, when markets are closed. It makes me wonder whether announcement of some kind will be made (not necessarily Vodafone).

Kushan 27-04-2017 20:06

Joint venture maybe. I can forsee Vodafone becoming essentially a reseller of Virgin services and maybe have a merger later, way down the line.

1andrew1 27-04-2017 20:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kushan (Post 35896540)
Joint venture maybe. I can forsee Vodafone becoming essentially a reseller of Virgin services and maybe have a merger later, way down the line.

Maybe the Ziggo 50/50 model as per the Netherlands but I don't know if the merged company would be forced to sell off a lot of capacity in a distressed sale by Ofcom.

Inactive Digital 27-04-2017 20:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35896544)
Maybe the Ziggo 50/50 model as per the Netherlands but I don't know if the merged company would be forced to sell off a lot of capacity in a distressed sale by Ofcom.

As in mobile capacity? Can't see that as Virgin don't own any spectrum in the UK. It's a natural fit from that perspective. Not sure about dark fibre etc though. Presumably the EU would have something to say about a full-blown Vodafone and LG merger though.

QUOTE=Kushan;35896540]Joint venture maybe. I can forsee Vodafone becoming essentially a reseller of Virgin services and maybe have a merger later, way down the line.[/QUOTE]

Vodafone reselling is an interesting concept - do you think they would resell Virgin packages, or their own branded versions? I'm wondering which company that would be more beneficial to?

1andrew1 27-04-2017 22:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inactive Digital (Post 35896550)
As in mobile capacity? Can't see that as Virgin don't own any spectrum in the UK. It's a natural fit from that perspective. Not sure about dark fibre etc though. Presumably the EU would have something to say about a full-blown Vodafone and LG merger though.

I don't think it would be an EU matter, more an Ofcom one as only the UK is affected. The duplication wouldn't be in mobile (assuming market share is not an issue which I doubt) but in fibre infrastructure, backhaul for mobile providers etc.
I could see a Ziggo-type model in the UK with VM TV/broadband being cross-sold to Vodafone mobile customers whilst both brands are retained. EE could remain VM's mobile carrier until the contract expires.

Kushan 27-04-2017 23:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35896563)
I don't think it would be an EU matter, more an Ofcom one as only the UK is affected. The duplication wouldn't be in mobile (assuming market share is not an issue which I doubt) but in fibre infrastructure, backhaul for mobile providers etc.
I could see a Ziggo-type model in the UK with VM TV/broadband being cross-sold to Vodafone mobile customers whilst both brands are retained. EE could remain VM's mobile carrier until the contract expires.

Lets also not forget that there's no reason any contract with EE couldn't have clauses for the event of a merger with a competitor for either company. Still, as you say, I don't imagine Virgin would be in any rush to move over to Vodafone's mobile signal if they did merge.

Stephen 28-04-2017 00:08

This has come up many times, either VM buying Vodafone or the other way round. Doubt it will happen.

I am gutted that they cancelled the TV service. It was pretty interesting and worked well. It was literally weeks away from launching as well.

1andrew1 28-04-2017 11:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35896577)
This has come up many times, either VM buying Vodafone or the other way round. Doubt it will happen.

I am gutted that they cancelled the TV service. It was pretty interesting and worked well. It was literally weeks away from launching as well.

Did Vodafone say why it was cancelled? I always thought they'd be better off buying TalkTalk, using that as a Plusnet competitor and developing their own higher grade TV offering.

RichardCoulter 28-04-2017 15:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kushan (Post 35896572)
Lets also not forget that there's no reason any contract with EE couldn't have clauses for the event of a merger with a competitor for either company. Still, as you say, I don't imagine Virgin would be in any rush to move over to Vodafone's mobile signal if they did merge.

Do we know which has the better coverage? This may well be a factor too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35896577)

If it does happen, you could end up working for VM again by default without moving an inch!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35896639)
Did Vodafone say why it was cancelled? I always thought they'd be better off buying TalkTalk, using that as a Plusnet competitor and developing their own higher grade TV offering.

I does seem odd to get so far down the line and pull the plug :confused:

muppetman11 28-04-2017 16:14

Wouldn't Talk Talk have been a decent acquisition for Vodafone it would have got a far larger Broadband subscriber base over night with which it could sell its mobile service and TV offering.

Pierre 28-04-2017 21:19

Quote:

Could VM/LG be taking over Vodafone?
No

MrIca 28-04-2017 23:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35896715)
No

Great post.

Stephen 29-04-2017 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35896639)

Not as such, just that its not the time to launch a service. we were as surprised as anyone as its been in planning and testing for a couple of years now.

Kushan 29-04-2017 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35896676)
Do we know which has the better coverage? This may well be a factor too.

EE has the most coverage and bandwidth out of all of them. Vodafone often fights for 3rd place with Three.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrIca (Post 35896726)
Great post.

Pierre is generally in the know, so yeah I would say it's a great post. If he says it's not happening, then it's not happening and he's probably just sick of the same rumour appearing every other month.

Pierre 30-04-2017 00:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kushan (Post 35896833)
Pierre is generally in the know, so yeah I would say it's a great post. If he says it's not happening, then it's not happening and he's probably just sick of the same rumour appearing every other month.

I don't sit on the GEC so I can never sat for certain, But I do have a lot of contacts and there is nothing points towards an LG/VF tie up apart from in the wet dreams of a few stock analysts that want sell to their feeds.

VF are currently pretty weak. It may be interesting but I think VF would be better seeking out a content partner.

RichardCoulter 30-04-2017 14:04

Who would be a suitable partner to enter into a joint venture/become a content partner?

RichardCoulter 30-04-2017 20:51

Been hearing rumours from BT shareholders that TalkTalk could be taking over Vodafone, hence why the TV idea has been scrapped.

Pierre 30-04-2017 23:25

Talk talk don' have anything near the financial muscle to take on Vodafone

1andrew1 30-04-2017 23:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35896954)
Been hearing rumours from BT shareholders that TalkTalk could be taking over Vodafone, hence why the TV idea has been scrapped.

The other way round maybe.
TalkTalk Market Cap £1.82bn
Vodafone Market Cap £52.99bn

denphone 01-05-2017 05:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35896971)
The other way round maybe.
TalkTalk Market Cap £1.82bn
Vodafone Market Cap £52.99bn

Definitely.

MrIca 01-05-2017 09:46

Quote:

Do you understand how huge Vodafone are?! Why on earth you'd think TalkTalk could take them over I don't know!

spiderplant 01-05-2017 09:52

Quote:

Been hearing rumours from BT shareholders

Do you think BT shareholders have some special insight?

denphone 01-05-2017 11:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrIca (Post 35896977)
Do you understand how huge Vodafone are?! Why on earth you'd think TalkTalk could take them over I don't know!

Indeed as spoken by others and your good self in that Vodafone are a big worldwide company wherever TalkTalk are not.:)

RichardCoulter 01-05-2017 14:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrIca (Post 35896977)

I have no idea about the size of either company, however size isn't everything:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/621211.stm

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35896978)
Do you think BT shareholders have some special insight?

Not particularly.

Stephen 01-05-2017 22:47

What has that to do with anything? That was 17 years ago and look what happened to Bank of Scotland over the Years!

Vodafone are a huge international company with mobile presence in many countries as well as home broadband and TV services in some.

It if anything would be Vodafone taking over TT.

But it's neither here nor there as it's not happening.

RichardCoulter 02-05-2017 00:20

It was to demonstrate that it is possible for a smaller company to take over a larger company.

Btw I believe that the link refers to Vodafone in the UK only.

Kushan 02-05-2017 10:43

What are the odds of Voda just giving in and selling off their UK network?

japitts 02-05-2017 11:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kushan (Post 35896833)
EE has the most coverage and bandwidth out of all of them. Vodafone often fights for 3rd place with Three.

Not quite, EE & VF are the best-placed with spectrum holdings..

http://tinyurl.com/kb35dcv

Coverage is a huge can of worms, especially when you factor in EE's L800 rollout & the new Emergency Service contract.

Kushan 02-05-2017 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by japitts (Post 35897139)
Not quite, EE & VF are the best-placed with spectrum holdings..

http://tinyurl.com/kb35dcv

Coverage is a huge can of worms, especially when you factor in EE's L800 rollout & the new Emergency Service contract.

You are right in what you're saying, my bad for not being clear- I was referring to market share with regards to Voda/Three often fighting it out.

Though your information is a little out of date now,this seems a bit more up to date. Vodafone has a lot more bandwidth than 3, but gets a lot less traffic as well.

Stephen 02-05-2017 14:17

Quote:

EE, O2 and Three all tie for the best 3G coverage in the UK right now, covering 98% of the population. Vodafone covers 90%.
Quote:

EE has the best 4G coverage in the UK right now, covering 97% of the population. Vodafone covers 65%, O2 covers 66% and Three covers 53%.
https://www.cable.co.uk/guides/best-mobile-network/

Kushan 02-05-2017 14:30

Take all them figures with a pinch of salt. I certainly don't have 4G on EE 97% of the time and I don't exactly live in the stix.

The speed I get on EE's 4G is about the same (or worse) than Three's 3G as well, but it's a complete crap shoot depending on your location.

RichardCoulter 02-05-2017 22:27

From another forum member:

"Vodafone are only interested in entering joint ventures where they are primary!

A suggested option is for Vodafone to do an asset swop.... Dump their uk assets on Liberty Global (VM) in return for Liberty Global's German assets.

Vodafone have just entered a JV in the Netherlands with Liberty Global.... So a JV in the UK with Vodafone as primary stands a chance!?!".

Maybe this is a possibility??

Stephen 02-05-2017 22:34

The deal in the Netherlands is a 50/50 deal
http://www.vodafone.com/content/inde...afone-nl.html#

Quote:

:50 joint venture called VodafoneZiggo Group Holding B.V. (“VodafoneZiggo” or the "JV").
Combining Ziggo’s fibre-rich broadband network with Vodafone’s market-leading mobile operation creates a stronger converged competitor in the Dutch market, delivering significant benefits for consumers, businesses and the public sector through investment in digital infrastructure and customer experience.
VodafoneZiggo has combined revenue of over €4 billion with ten million fixed and five million mobile Revenue Generating Units (RGUs)1 and the fastest-growing B2B business in the market.
Following the divestment of Vodafone’s consumer fixed business “Vodafone Thuis”, the estimated net present value of total synergies for the transaction remains around €3.5 billion.
Following the recapitalisation of VodafoneZiggo2 and after taking into account the €0.8 billion equalisation payment by Vodafone, Liberty Global will receive €2.2 billion and Vodafone will receive €0.6 billion in cash payments post-closing.

japitts 04-05-2017 08:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kushan (Post 35897168)
Take all them figures with a pinch of salt. I certainly don't have 4G on EE 97% of the time and I don't exactly live in the stix.

The speed I get on EE's 4G is about the same (or worse) than Three's 3G as well, but it's a complete crap shoot depending on your location.

Oh, I can quite believe it - mobile coverage is even more location-specific than VM broadband, but the point I guess is that.. nationally... and overall.... EE & VF are best-placed for future capacity growth, O2 probably the worst. Coverage-wise you need a mixture of spectrum but low-frequency is useful in rural areas which EE, O2 & VF all now have.