Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Installation Issues (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   It's nearly here! (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705265)

Ignitionnet 13-08-2017 18:32

It's nearly here!

After a massive wait, a whole bunch of drama, and a few months of discussion with a director at VM who pushed the project through, cable has nearly arrived, and I'm nearly able to troll the Internet at ultrafast speeds again.

VM are certainly dedicated to coverage. A team spent a week reaching 4 properties through block paving.

They are, however, now in the process of standing the cabinet that will deliver my providings. :woot:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2017/08/12.jpg

Maggy 13-08-2017 19:42

Re: It's nearly here!

:D

weesteev 13-08-2017 19:55

Good stuff! Glad to see things are moving again ;)

Qtx 13-08-2017 20:54

Never seen anyone that desperate for a Docsis connection since the Telewest days :D

Welcome back!

Ignitionnet 13-08-2017 23:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qtx (Post 35912326)
Never seen anyone that desperate for a Docsis connection since the Telewest days :D

Welcome back!

I know their plans for the next 9 months with said DOCSIS connection ;)

Thank you!

---------- Post added at 22:39 ---------- Previous post was at 22:34 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by weesteev (Post 35912310)
Good stuff! Glad to see things are moving again ;)

Thank you, Sir. A controversial and expensive project for relatively little return on your side, but given you've blitzed the rest of the ward be rude not to finish up these last thousand premises, especially given that this project pre-dates Lightning.

I am so grateful to VM for introducing competition to the area. I'm not sure BT would be deploying G.fast here if VM hadn't committed the 7-figure sum on the deployment here.

That sum really puts things into perspective. To roll out VDSL / FTTC to the cabinet area probably cost BT, for both VDSL cabs and the copper extension, maybe 50 grand tops, with the G.fast pod coming in at another 10. To pass the premises covered by that BT cabinet VM are spending not 60 grand but closer to 500. That's serious investment, and I'm delighted to see it here.

ianch99 14-08-2017 10:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignitionnet (Post 35912364)
I know their plans for the next 9 months with said DOCSIS connection ;)

Thank you!

---------- Post added at 22:39 ---------- Previous post was at 22:34 ----------

Thank you, Sir. A controversial and expensive project for relatively little return on your side, but given you've blitzed the rest of the ward be rude not to finish up these last thousand premises, especially given that this project pre-dates Lightning.

I am so grateful to VM for introducing competition to the area. I'm not sure BT would be deploying G.fast here if VM hadn't committed the 7-figure sum on the deployment here.

That sum really puts things into perspective. To roll out VDSL / FTTC to the cabinet area probably cost BT, for both VDSL cabs and the copper extension, maybe 50 grand tops, with the G.fast pod coming in at another 10. To pass the premises covered by that BT cabinet VM are spending not 60 grand but closer to 500. That's serious investment, and I'm delighted to see it here.

I may be reading this wrong but if it costs VM 500k to cover the same number of customers that BT does with 60K, they may need to revisit their business model :)

Chris 14-08-2017 11:24

Soon be switching your providings then ...

Ignitionnet 14-08-2017 11:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 35912385)
I may be reading this wrong but if it costs VM 500k to cover the same number of customers that BT does with 60K, they may need to revisit their business model :)

That's the difference between building a new cabinet and having to dig to every home.

The difference being VM can sell TV, phone, broadband to properties. BT have to make the business case based around wholesale revenues only, and only incremental wholesale revenues on top of what they are already making from standard phone and broadband services.

---------- Post added at 10:51 ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35912391)
Soon be switching your providings then ...

Kinda. Will be taking a business service and leaving a VDSL line in place as a backup.

Given I currently have 2 x VDSL lines one of them will go.

Chris 14-08-2017 12:04

/envy

The quango responsible for fibre rollout in Scotland is still fobbing us off with the "it's challenging to bring fibre to homes on an EO line" excuse. Our exchange's predicted upgrade date has been slowly pushed back so it's always been 6 months in the future, with all the EO lines outside the village due for upgrade an indeterminate period of time beyond that.

About 12 months ago they did something that improved my sync from about 2.5Mb to around 4.2Mb but unfortunately my B&B guests (and my kids) have developed expectations far beyond our line's ability.

Ignitionnet 14-08-2017 12:28

If you're as remote as I think you are the only options to serve you, other than satellite, are fibre to the premises or a fixed wireless / 4G service.

You're likely losing out due to value for money. Delivering to you costs a bomb, while they can get through a number of other premises for that same funding.

ianch99 14-08-2017 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignitionnet (Post 35912395)
That's the difference between building a new cabinet and having to dig to every home.

The difference being VM can sell TV, phone, broadband to properties. BT have to make the business case based around wholesale revenues only, and only incremental wholesale revenues on top of what they are already making from standard phone and broadband services.

---------- Post added at 10:51 ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 ----------

Kinda. Will be taking a business service and leaving a VDSL line in place as a backup.

Given I currently have 2 x VDSL lines one of them will go.

Fair point.

With the switch to VM as your main WFH platform, does alleged latency woes of the Hub3 modem impact you at all?

So far, since switching to the Hub3, I have yet to notice any real world issues on VPN, Jabber, Zoom, VNC, RDP, etc.

Chris 14-08-2017 13:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignitionnet (Post 35912402)
If you're as remote as I think you are the only options to serve you, other than satellite, are fibre to the premises or a fixed wireless / 4G service.

You're likely losing out due to value for money. Delivering to you costs a bomb, while they can get through a number of other premises for that same funding.

Indeed. Fortunately there's a ton of cash sloshing around the system in Scotland so I know I'll get something eventually. I'd prefer to avoid 4g if I can though, I used a 4g modem/router on holiday and it cost a fortune, plus the latency was sky high. Not unlike satellite, which is even worse ...

I'm hoping to eventually get fibre to the premises, or close to at least. We are reasonably remote but we are also in a tourist hotspot and there are hotels and other businesses crying out for fast connectivity. Many of them are even further from the exchange than us.

Ignitionnet 14-08-2017 16:15

It's likely you'll have FTTP before I do.

Ignitionnet 15-08-2017 01:13

Cabinet has been stood. There is some work to do with road crossings, etc, on the road between mine and the rest of the network, civils should be done and network being tested by the end of next week. Should be able to order shortly after.

Ignitionnet 22-08-2017 22:20

Toby in place; ducting back to cabinet and road crossings to connect cabinet to network in progress.

EDIT: After all this the service is going to suck, isn't it?