Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : New TV Apps from December 7th (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705768)

Gavin-D 01-12-2017 12:06

New TV Apps from December 7th

From December 7th the Virgin TV Anywhere app will be replaced by Virgin TV Go and Virgin TV Control

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/tv/s...9359&seg=email

OLD BOY 01-12-2017 12:41

Re: New TV Apps from December 7th

Nice one, thank you, Gavin. I might actually use this!

Joedm45 01-12-2017 14:15

Good news VM have finally got streaming sorted over 3/4G

I wonder if there will still be a two device limit and if we have to re-register devices when the app is released.

Edit: Just had an e-mail confirming two devices, can only assume it's the same as before.

JayAy 01-12-2017 16:21

I wonder if the browser support (or rather lack of browser support) and reliance on Flash has changed?

Gavin-D 01-12-2017 17:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayAy (Post 35927131)
I wonder if the browser support (or rather lack of browser support) and reliance on Flash has changed?

Quote:

Virgin TV Go is compatible with iOS 9 and above, Android 4.0 and above and these web browsers on Windows (Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer 11) and on Mac OS (Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari). Virgin TV Control is compatible with iOS 9 and above, Android 4.1 and above and Fire OS 3.2.8 or later.

Raider999 01-12-2017 19:38

Good to see virgin catching up with the times (sky has offered its version over 3G for years) previous incarnation was next to useless.

All we need now is to expand the range of the download your recordings facility, currently far to limited in my opinion

nomadking 01-12-2017 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35927165)
Good to see virgin catching up with the times (sky has offered its version over 3G for years) previous incarnation was next to useless.

All we need now is to expand the range of the download your recordings facility, currently far to limited in my opinion

The limits are from copyright issues and agreements. Any newer agreements are more likely to include downloading of recordings.

vincerooney 01-12-2017 21:08

I had 20Gb data and then got a renewal and told them i wanted the same data....what they didnt tell me is they were also offering 10GB free data. So basically i have 30GB data so i can finally just stream on 4G VM tv at last. I may just watch random sports on my mobile.

Questions tho

1) I assume one is the tv anywhere app and the other is a sort of remote control? Why couldnt they just shove them all together?
2) will we all be reset in terms of devices. So for example mum has it on her ipad and i have it on my iphone will i need to log both devices again or would i just be able to do one and then have to wait another month?
3) other than 3G/4G anything else blockbuster coming with these apps

nomadking 01-12-2017 21:18

Looked at the Email.
TV Go
Quote:

Stream live TV and Box Sets On Demand (if they’re part of your subscription) on up to 2 compatible devices, wherever there’s 3G, 4G or WiFi in the UK
TV Control
Quote:

Use it on as many devices as you like, wherever there’s
3G, 4G or WiFi

theone2k10 01-12-2017 21:19

So VM are copying SKYGO then pot kettle.

Raider999 01-12-2017 22:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 35927175)
The limits are from copyright issues and agreements. Any newer agreements are more likely to include downloading of recordings.

Cannot come too soon for me. Only what I was led to believe I could do when I ditched sky for virgin in Feb

Stephen 02-12-2017 12:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joedm45 (Post 35927106)
Good news VM have finally got streaming sorted over 3/4G

I wonder if there will still be a two device limit and if we have to re-register devices when the app is released.

Edit: Just had an e-mail confirming two devices, can only assume it's the same as before.

Surprised it took that long TBH, when I originally beta tested the app way back it had 3/4G streaming. But was then removed for public launch.

lonespeaker 02-12-2017 12:20

The new TV go app is very nice and works really well. After the fiasco of the my virgin app, this is a very welcome surprise

Mythica 02-12-2017 13:27

I wish companies would stop splitting apps up. From my understanding we will now need 4 apps for full features, this includes access to Sky sports and movies.

RobboEdin 02-12-2017 16:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythica (Post 35927250)
I wish companies would stop splitting apps up. From my understanding we will now need 4 apps for full features, this includes access to Sky sports and movies.

Can you explain why it is so difficult for you?
How does splitting the app disadvantage you?