Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   U.S President: Donald Trump (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704412)

Cable Forum 06-02-2017 11:45

U.S President: Donald Trump

Brand new thread to discuss issues surrounding U.S President: Donald J. Trump.

Prior thread became bloated and it was becoming heated at times. Old thread will be closed and archived, as it was mainly about the U.S Election 2016.

It must be accepted on both sides of the argument that people have differing views. It is impossible for people to agree on stuff.

Similar issues with the old thread must not occur in this thread or action may be taken.

Damien 06-02-2017 11:50

Re: U.S President: Donald Trump

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/05/u...-strategy.html

Trump and his aides seem to be revising their approach after the first two weeks. Trump especially seems to be angry about the way the Executive Orders have been drafted. According to this he didn't know the degree to which Bannon was being appointed to the N.S.C:

Quote:

Mr. Priebus bristles at the perception that he occupies a diminished perch in the West Wing pecking order compared with previous chiefs. But for the moment, Mr. Bannon remains the president’s dominant adviser, despite Mr. Trump’s anger that he was not fully briefed on details of the executive order he signed giving his chief strategist a seat on the National Security Council, a greater source of frustration to the president than the fallout from the travel ban.

Mick 06-02-2017 15:02

I have seen the memes of Trump dangling on puppet strings and Bannon is the master pulling them. I have to consider that to be ludicrous because I strongly doubt Trump would share a platform of Authority with anyone.

In other news it seems, the TV interview Fox News did over weekend with Trump, the Kremlin seems to be demanding an apology for the terms 'Killer Putin' being used by O'Reilly.

http://news.sky.com/story/killer-put...emark-10758394

Damien 06-02-2017 15:04

Can't see Fox News apologising to Russia, especially not for that

Mr Banana 06-02-2017 15:53

Another Tweet from Trump, this time claiming that any negative polls about his immigration policy are fake news. Some responses are scary, comparing his approach to something that happened in Germany many years ago..

A lot of his Tweets seem to be dismissive of anyone or anything that gets in his way?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...74430800539648

1andrew1 06-02-2017 16:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Banana (Post 35884301)
Another Tweet from Trump, this time claiming that any negative polls about his immigration policy are fake news. Some responses are scary, comparing his approach to something that happened in Germany many years ago..

A lot of his Tweets seem to be dismissive of anyone or anything that gets in his way?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...74430800539648

That's his technique. Discredit every news item that goes against him as fake. His followers will agree with him and his opponents won't. But if he can sew doubt into the minds of the undecideds who swing elections then the job's done.

I like the fact that Trump's tweets are attributable to him and not the off-the-record anonymous press briefings that the UK favours. But I'm unhappy about his frequent deployment of "alternative facts" as portrayed by this and other tweets.

Osem 06-02-2017 16:57

In the old days our glorious leaders always had the 'good day to bury bad news', now there are so many other, far more effective, means by which to deflect attention, distort information, discredit critics/opponents etc. etc. Is it any surprise then that this is happening? When was the last time anyone heard a president, pm or whatever accept they'd got it wrong or made a huge error? The truth is they routinely lie and/or blame and try to discredit their opponents. The internet has just made it a whole lot easier for them to do the same thing on a much bigger scale.

1andrew1 06-02-2017 17:14

Not very surprised by this, I don't think it would have worked out well for Donald Trump anyway

Donald Trump will not be allowed to address Parliament on UK state visit, Speaker says

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7565651.html

papa smurf 06-02-2017 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35884313)
Not very surprised by this, I don't think it would have worked out well for Donald Trump anyway

Donald Trump will not be allowed to address Parliament on UK state visit, Speaker says

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7565651.html

that doesn't sound very democratic is his opinion the only one that counts or does it go to a vote ?

Kursk 06-02-2017 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35884316)
that doesn't sound very democratic is his opinion the only one that counts or does it go to a vote ?

Well said papa. Let the people decide; it's only fair.

Pierre 06-02-2017 17:53

Well it's not like a publicity whore like Bercow would pass up an opportunity like this is it?

Damien 06-02-2017 18:06

It's weird when you consider Xi was invited. It never used to be that common until recent years.

Kursk 06-02-2017 21:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35884325)
Well it's not like a publicity whore like Bercow would pass up an opportunity like this is it?

Indeed. He has a big mouth for a little man. He should be overruled by his boss and The President of the United States should be welcomed to address Parliament and join this list.

In fact, if Bercow finds neutrality a problem he ought to try another job.

Hugh 06-02-2017 21:58

The PM is not the Speaker's boss.

papa smurf 06-02-2017 22:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35884355)
Indeed. He has a big mouth for a little man. He should be overruled by his boss and The President of the United States should be welcomed to address Parliament and join this list.

In fact, if Bercow finds neutrality a problem he ought to try another job.

he seems to have chucked political neutrality out of the window -he's an embarrassment to the nation .

Kursk 06-02-2017 22:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35884356)

No-one said she is?

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35884357)
he's an embarrassment to the nation .

Agreed. Because of his comments about Preseident Trump or because of his height? :D

Mick 06-02-2017 22:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35884356)

He never said she was. Either way he has breached protocols on impartiality also some degree of hypocrisy too, oh and ignorance to US democracy.

1andrew1 06-02-2017 22:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35884357)
he seems to have chucked political neutrality out of the window -he's an embarrassment to the nation .

Would you really want Donald Trump addressing Parliament and being booed? Judging from the reception that Bercow received today from MPs, that would be a likely outcome. I doubt Donald Trump would be a happy chappy either.

Osem 06-02-2017 22:28

Would this be the same Bercow who:

https://order-order.com/2017/02/06/b...rights-record/

and happily welcomed the Chinese leader to address parliament not that long ago?

Quote:

Parliamentary colleagues and distinguished guests: welcome to the Royal Gallery. Mr President, Madame Peng Liyuan, it is my pleasure to introduce the leader of a nation that is both very ancient and truly modern to a Parliament that is both very ancient and truly modern. It is a reflection of our changing times that we have hosted no fewer than four prominent daughters and sons of Asia in our Parliament in the past three years, starting with Daw Aung San Suu Kyi of Burma, the Nobel Peace Prize winner, democracy champion and international symbol of the innate human right of freedom. Your visit here today, Mr President, reinforces the links between the United Kingdom and China. Those links are social and personal as well as economic and political and are all the stronger for that. This trip should provide the means for both sides to come to understand one another better. The Chinese people have many, many, friends in this Parliament. Blah, blah, blah...
https://www.parliament.uk/business/c...to-parliament/

How many MP's who're supposedly outraged by Trump's 'record' booed Jinping I wonder? Maybe they were scared of being branded racist or maybe they're just hypocrites...

Anyone for some bandwagon jumping?

Mick 06-02-2017 22:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35884360)
Would you really want Donald Trump addressing Parliament and being booed? Judging from the reception that Bercow received today from MPs, that would be a likely outcome. I doubt Donald Trump would be a happy chappy either.

So let me get this straight, he would be here on invitation by the Queen herself and they would have to respect that or they might as well GTFO of her Majesty's Parliament. Being booed by non-entities anyway such as the likes of undemocratic MPs specifically most in Labour Party and the tiny party, you know the ones, Liberal Democrats, who last week in commons vote to trigger A50, voted against their own constituents, bar 2 of them, he would probably associate them as the UK version of the swamp and probably would not be arsed if he doesn't get to speak in front of them.

1andrew1 06-02-2017 23:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35884363)
So let me get this straight, he would be here on invitation by the Queen herself and they would have to respect that or they might as well GTFO of her Majesty's Parliament. Being booed by non-entities anyway such as the likes of undemocratic MPs specifically most in Labour Party and the tiny party, you know the ones, Liberal Democrats, who last week in commons vote to trigger A50, voted against their own constituents, bar 2 of them, he would probably associate them as the UK version of the swamp and probably would not be arsed if he doesn't get to speak in front of them.

I'm sure if the Queen had anything to do with it, he wouldn't be invited. He's annoyed Prince Charles with his outdated denialist views on climate change and been sexist towards the Duchess of Cambridge. And that's before he's set foot in Buckingham Palace!
If you listened to the reception that Bercow's decision got, and Trump was your client, you would be grateful he was not invited to address Parliament. It would be potentially humiliating for Trump and it would not be constructive to US-UK relations. I'm sure far worse people have addressed the UK Parliament but for many reasons, the US president is judged far more critically. I guess that's an element of the special relationship that Theresa May was talking about.

Mick 07-02-2017 00:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35884367)
If you listened to the reception that Bercow's decision got,

I'd rather not listen to hypocrites and undemocratic MPs thanks.

martyh 07-02-2017 07:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35884358)
No-one said she is?

so who is then ?

he is the boss in deciding who speaks in the commons

papa smurf 07-02-2017 07:26

Speaker said he is 'strongly opposed' to the President speaking in Westminster
Bercow is one of three powerful 'key holders' to the historic Westminster Hall
As an invited guest on a state visit Trump might have expected to make a speech
Bercow allowed leaders of China, Kuwait and Qatar speak to MPs and peers

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz4Xyx6LxJT
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

TheDaddy 07-02-2017 07:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35884363)

I'd suggest the queen is a lot more undemocratic than any mp, perhaps it's time she GTFO

1andrew1 07-02-2017 08:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35884370)
I'd rather not listen to hypocrites and undemocratic MPs thanks.

I appreciate that the first-past-the-post system penalises smaller political parties like the Liberal Democrats, UKIP and the Green Party but it's a big leap of the imagination to classify MPs as undemocratic. Like the valued judiciary, they are a fundamental part of UK democracy.
Looking at the principles and not the people, if I was advising a PM to invite or not invite a foreign leader to speak to the House of Commons, I would consider the reception my valued guest would receive.
In Trump's case, a significant number of MPs perceive him to be sexist, racist and cosying up to the UK's enemies like Russia. They would potentially accord him a hostile welcome. I wouldn't want that to happen to someone I invited to address the Commons and it could likely backfire on me and the guest would not be impressed.

---------- Post added at 08:43 ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35884377)

As explained previously:
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35884367)
...I'm sure far worse people have addressed the UK Parliament but for many reasons, the US president is judged far more critically. I guess that's an element of the special relationship that Theresa May was talking about.

---------- Post added at 08:53 ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35884379)
I'd suggest the queen is a lot more undemocratic than any mp, perhaps it's time she GTFO

Ha ha 1-0!. In fairness, the Queen doesn't get a choice in the matter and I can't think it will be the easiest time for her. Prince Charles doesn't want a guest whom he has wrangled with over his flat earther views on climate change. Kate Middleton wouldn't feel comfortable in the company of a man old enough to be her grandfather who tweeted "Who wouldn't take Kate's picture and make lots of money if she does the nude sunbathing thing. Come on Kate!"
That being said, maybe they could all bond together over a pleasant pheasant shoot? ;)

Mr K 07-02-2017 09:33

I think Bercow is a top bloke (for a tory), and an MP, so why shouldn't he have his say ? He must have to ruffle a few feathers on behalf of his constituents so isn't apolitical. He seems to be speaking for the majority of MPs.

It's all irrelevant anyway. The Trumpster doesn't want to speak to parliament, and he'd be speaking to a largely empty chamber. He just wants a posh dinner with Queenie in the palace, with b&b. It's cheaper than a 'cottages.com' booking.

Chris 07-02-2017 10:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35884379)

Ultimately, we could end the monarchy if we wanted to. There isn't the appetite for it however, so why bother? It would be a constitutional nightmare to sort out and the current system isn't broken, regardless of the carping of a very small number of republicans. It's by no means a given that an elected civilian presidency would be cheaper to maintain either, if that's your concern.

And what would we replace it with? An executive president like the system that gave the world Donald Trump? Or a ceremonial one that gave Ireland that bloke that looks like the Dungeon Master?

Personally I am very happy with a system that allows us to have a head of state that isn't a divisive political figure, who has impact and respect around the world which, by its hereditary nature, can be extended through her children and grandchildren.

Osem 07-02-2017 11:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35884407)
Ultimately, we could end the monarchy if we wanted to. There isn't the appetite for it however, so why bother? It would be a constitutional nightmare to sort out and the current system isn't broken, regardless of the carping of a very small number of republicans. It's by no means a given that an elected civilian presidency would be cheaper to maintain either, if that's your concern.

And what would we replace it with? An executive president like the system that gave the world Donald Trump? Or a ceremonial one that gave Ireland that bloke that looks like the Dungeon Master?

Personally I am very happy with a system that allows us to have a head of state that isn't a divisive political figure, who has impact and respect around the world which, by its hereditary nature, can be extended through her children and grandchildren.

Absolutely.

Mick 07-02-2017 12:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35884377)

Therein lies the massive hypocrisy, 3 nations leaders with atrocious human rights records with women seen in those countries as 'lesser' species. Where were those Womens resistance protesting for women's rights in China, in Qatar and Kuwait ? Where was the petition to stop their State visits ?

The Speaker, Bercow has wholly acted inappropriate, he has used a platform to gain an audience and he has undermined the Government when he is meant to act neutral at all times, he is a hypocrite and undemocratic by dissing the democratically elected leader of our most important ally.

Maggy 07-02-2017 12:04

Quote:

:clap:

Mick 07-02-2017 12:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35884394)
I appreciate that the first-past-the-post system penalises smaller political parties like the Liberal Democrats, UKIP and the Green Party but it's a big leap of the imagination to classify MPs as undemocratic.

Are you for real ? Last week some MPs voted against their own constituents i.e those who voted leave, there were some MPs who voted against Article 50 being triggered : Don't insult me by saying it's a large leap in my imagination when it is so bloody obvious these MPs stuck two fingers up to democracy. :rolleyes:

1andrew1 07-02-2017 12:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35884417)
Are you for real ? Last week some MPs voted against their own constituents i.e those who voted leave, there were some MPs who voted against Article 50 being triggered : Don't insult me by saying it's a large leap in my imagination when it is so bloody obvious these MPs stuck two fingers up to democracy. :rolleyes:

Hi Mick, I'm for real and I'm not insulting you. :tu:
But sometimes I feel that you perceive offence from me and others when absolutely none is intended.
Last week far more MPs voted against the wishes of their constituents by voting for Article 50 than MPs who voted against Article 50 against the wishes of their constituents. And one MP threw a sickie!
But I would argue that none of the above makes MPs inherently undemocratic.

Mick 07-02-2017 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35884418)
But I would argue that none of the above makes MPs inherently undemocratic.

I disagree.

MPs who voted against their constituents for Article 50 being triggered were respecting the Majority democratic result of the referendum, those who voted against that, stuck two fingers up at that majority result, they are undemocratic because they dissed the very thing that gave them their seat in the house.

Don't mention that racist MP Abbott who threw a sickie, she is an absolute disgrace along with her ex-lover Corbyn.

1andrew1 07-02-2017 13:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35884419)
I disagree.

MPs who voted against their constituents for Article 50 being triggered were respecting the Majority democratic result of the referendum, those who voted against that, stuck two fingers up at that majority result, they are undemocratic because they dissed the very thing that gave them their seat in the house.

Don't mention that racist MP Abbott who threw a sickie, she is an absolute disgrace along with her ex-lover Corbyn.

I get where you're coming from and I appreciate your viewpoint.
It's a no-win situation for some MPs - vote against the wishes of constituents who elected you (and may not re-elect you because of your voting decision) but vote for what the majority of the country voted for. And it's highlighted even more when an MP like Sarah Olney is elected on the platform of voting against Article 50.
I guess it's down to the electoral system in the UK being based around representing constituents. I do think Parliament needs reforming as it penalises smaller parties but as it works for Labour and the Conservatives I can't see it happening.

Kursk 07-02-2017 13:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35884376)
so who is then ?

he is the boss in deciding who speaks in the commons

Dunno, the Lord Chancellor? Hugh has said it's not the PM, perhaps he knows who is.

Mick 07-02-2017 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35884421)
I do think Parliament needs reforming as it penalises smaller parties but as it works for Labour and the Conservatives I can't see it happening.

Exactly, but I would be extremely worried if the Liberal Democrats suddenly gained a lot of seats and then power, they are a divisive party and have a bad obsession with the EU, as long as they keep banging the same drum that we need to stay in the EU, they will stay as they are, insignificant.

This also highlights why people should not be so critical of the US Election process in regards to how our own election processes run, the popular vote in the US does not win the Presidency because you cannot have a few States with high population density, dictate who wins it.

TheDaddy 07-02-2017 16:03

Quote:

Why would we need to replace it with anything? Not having a monarch doesn't automatically mean we must have a president. I'm not that unhappy with the current queen but it's unfortunate that her Maj sits atop a thoroughly odious class system that permenates the upper echelons of pretty much every aspect of the country

---------- Post added at 16:03 ---------- Previous post was at 16:01 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35884414)
Therein lies the massive hypocrisy, 3 nations leaders with atrocious human rights records with women seen in those countries as 'lesser' species. Where were those Womens resistance protesting for women's rights in China, in Qatar and Kuwait ? Where was the petition to stop their State visits ?

The Speaker, Bercow has wholly acted inappropriate, he has used a platform to gain an audience and he has undermined the Government when he is meant to act neutral at all times, he is a hypocrite and undemocratic by dissing the democratically elected leader of our most important ally.

There were loads of protests about the Chinese visit

Mick 07-02-2017 16:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35884446)

There were loads of protests about the Chinese visit

Fantastic, now what happened about the Kuwait / Qatar visit?

TheDaddy 07-02-2017 17:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35884451)

I don't recall, I can't imagine we'd have been that enamoured at the prospect of them visiting though, I mean would you want them turning up at your house?

You ever consider the reason why people don't want trump here is rather than hypocrisy we hold the Americans in high esteem as leaders of the world and expect better of them, they're our closest friends after all, when has anyone expected anything from the leaders of kuwait or taken their moral compass from Qatar.

papa smurf 07-02-2017 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35884451)

Qatar you ask
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Qatar

its a bit vile

Mick 07-02-2017 17:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35884455)

You ever consider the reason why people don't want trump here is rather than hypocrisy we hold the Americans in high esteem as leaders of the world and expect better of them, they're our closest friends after all, when has anyone expected anything from the leaders of kuwait or taken their moral compass from Qatar.

Hypocrisy is hypocrisy, there is no getting away from it, you cannot on the one hand, stand as a speaker, deny a visit to the house of a leader of our most important ally, when he has previously allowed other leaders with far worse records do the same.

Also, when you say people, you mean 'some people', a lot of people DO want Trump to come visit. This is the problem with large parts of the liberal entity, rather than engage in dialogue and offer the right to free speech which they often abuse to their hearts content themselves, they want to deny that same privilege to their opponents, quite frankly it is pathetic.

papa smurf 07-02-2017 19:00

Bercow's backtrack? Speaker apologises after he tries to ban Donald Trump from Parliament

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politi...ban-Parliament

TheDaddy 07-02-2017 19:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35884460)
Hypocrisy is hypocrisy, there is no getting away from it, you cannot on the one hand, stand as a speaker, deny a visit to the house of a leader of our most important ally, when he has previously allowed other leaders with far worse records do the same.

I don't remember passing comment on the speaker, I'm not a fan of the little guy or his ghastly wife

Quote:

Also, when you say people, you mean 'some people', a lot of people DO want Trump to come visit. This is the problem with large parts of the liberal entity, rather than engage in dialogue and offer the right to free speech which they often abuse to their hearts content themselves, they want to deny that same privilege to their opponents, quite frankly it is pathetic.
No need to attempt to clarify what I said, the meaning is clear for anyone with even a basic grasp of English, I didn't say the people or all the people.

Mick 07-02-2017 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35884487)
I don't remember passing comment on the speaker, I'm not a fan of the little guy or his ghastly wife

No need to attempt to clarify what I said, the meaning is clear for anyone with even a basic grasp of English, I didn't say the people or all the people.

I have the grasp of English thanks. It was not clear at all, you said, 'You ever consider the reason why people don't want trump here'. That was you encapsulating lots of people or all the people in the UK, which it certainly is not the case, if this was not your intention to quantify everyone in the UK, you certainly should have been more clear on that.

pip08456 07-02-2017 20:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35884446)
Why would we need to replace it with anything? Not having a monarch doesn't automatically mean we must have a president. I'm not that unhappy with the current queen but it's unfortunate that her Maj sits atop a thoroughly odious class system that permenates the upper echelons of pretty much every aspect of the country

If you wished to forgo the millions brought in by the pagentry and spectacle of the Monarchy that tourists throughout the world pour into the country to witness then yes do away with it.

Add to that (especially when we still had Britannia) the milions brought about in exports when the Monarch pays a state visit and yes if you wish to forgo that then let's get rid.

Oh wait, remoaners don't wish this country to thrive on it's own.

denphone 08-02-2017 05:35

Name calling sadly is often used when trying to win an argument without objective consideration of the facts.;)

And by the way l am a monarchist and even though l did not vote for Brexit its happened so lets get on with it and hope it leads to a better future for us all but l would not put your house on it though.:) as one might be rather disappointed with what transpires.:)

TheDaddy 08-02-2017 07:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35884491)
I have the grasp of English thanks. It was not clear at all, you said, 'You ever consider the reason why people don't want trump here'. That was you encapsulating lots of people or all the people in the UK, which it certainly is not the case, if this was not your intention to quantify everyone in the UK, you certainly should have been more clear on that.

I imagine it is lots of people that is why I used the term people, it doesn't quantify a specific number or even suggest a majority let alone everyone, in fact imo the vast majority, myself included couldn't give a toss if he comes or not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35884495)
If you wished to forgo the millions brought in by the pagentry and spectacle of the Monarchy that tourists throughout the world pour into the country to witness then yes do away with it.

Add to that (especially when we still had Britannia) the milions brought about in exports when the Monarch pays a state visit and yes if you wish to forgo that then let's get rid.

Oh wait, remoaners don't wish this country to thrive on it's own.

When you put it like that then yes I'd rather forgo the benefits

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...worth-tuppence

Especially when the actual figure they cost might have been underestimated grossly, I know what I believe and it isn't that they gain us cash

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/pe...-10491277.html

And I think you'll find I've been moaning for years on here on behalf of British workers stitched up by the EU, don't remember you having much to say though

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...2&postcount=59

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...8&postcount=34

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...&postcount=141

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...3&postcount=37

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...93&postcount=3

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...7&postcount=88

RizzyKing 08-02-2017 09:55

Whatever the monarchy costs it isn't more then the revenue from the crown estates that go to the exchequer and despite the vocal whinging of a small minority there is neither the desire or the will to abolish the monarchy and that issue has nothing to do with brexit. I believe now as I've believed from the start that the best future for the UK medium to longterm is out of the EU being a truely global trading nation constrained only by laws we set ourselves and improving relations with many more nations then we would have under the EU. I'd even be happy if we improved relations with russia and brexit will give us the freedom to do that.

No one has ever said brexit is risk free because it isn't much will depend on how competently things are handled by the relevant politicians at the time issues arise. But lets not pretend remaining in the EU was risk free because that's fantasy land, the EU has deep issues which have been ignored or glossed over for a longtime that are coming home to roost. Further integration was also coming as the EU's endgame has been known and celebrated by some eurocrats the united states of europe we couldn't continue being in the club but not adopting the integration for much longer some in the EU were frustrated with the UK before brexit was even mentioned as they felt the UK should be fully commited.

We leave now and we have time to gets things sorted and organised the alternative being we stayed in and either integrated to the desired level in the near future or be given an ultimatum of integrate or be kicked out. Given that even a fair few remain supporters were not supportive of further integration it was a problem that would have needed to be resolved.

pip08456 08-02-2017 10:09

Trump travel ban: judges skeptical about arguments on executive order

Looks like he may have an uphill struggle.

Maggy 08-02-2017 10:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35884530)
I imagine it is lots of people that is why I used the term people, it doesn't quantify a specific number or even suggest a majority let alone everyone, in fact imo the vast majority, myself included couldn't give a toss if he comes or not.

When you put it like that then yes I'd rather forgo the benefits

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...worth-tuppence

Especially when the actual figure they cost might have been underestimated grossly, I know what I believe and it isn't that they gain us cash

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/pe...-10491277.html

And I think you'll find I've been moaning for years on here on behalf of British workers stitched up by the EU, don't remember you having much to say though

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...2&postcount=59

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...8&postcount=34

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...&postcount=141

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...3&postcount=37

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...93&postcount=3

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...7&postcount=88

How about sticking to the topic? Which is not the EU or Brexit or the monarchy

Osem 08-02-2017 10:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35884480)
Bercow's backtrack? Speaker apologises after he tries to ban Donald Trump from Parliament

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politi...ban-Parliament

Maybe he ought to think before opening his mouth. He voiced no such opposition in the run up to the Chinese state visit and look at their record on stuff like human rights.

https://order-order.com/2017/02/07/b...ed-parliament/

Strangely he didn't seem to think they were worthy of the Trump treatment... :rolleyes:

Anyway in the interests of fairness, to Trump, I should point out that there's a petition here seeking Bercow's removal from office:

Quote:

On 6th Feburary Speaker of the House of Commons John Bercow made an inappropriate intervention into UK foreign policy by prohibiting President of the United States Donald Trump from speaking to Parliament in his upcoming visit.
Such a move violates Bercow's convention on neutrality which he must upload as speaker. Likewise, it poses massive complications for British Foreign Policy. Therefore, this petition calls for the public to issue a call of no confidence in Bercow and for him to be relieved of his duties immediately.
https://www.change.org/p/uk-parliame...ies-as-speaker

Evidently the official view from HMG's petitions site is that he can't be removed from office so petitions to that end won't be accepted.

Quote:

It’s about something that the UK Government or Parliament is not responsible for.

There is no mechanism for the removal of a Speaker during a Parliament. Other than at a general election, the Speaker can only stop being Speaker through resignation or death.

The House of Commons could debate the resignation of the Speaker.
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions

Pierre 08-02-2017 13:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35884545)

It'll go to the supreme court. Which is still only 8no. strong as Trumps pick has not been approved yet.

1andrew1 08-02-2017 13:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35884582)
It'll go to the supreme court. Which is still only 8no. strong as Trumps pick has not been approved yet.

Interesting. Can it end in no decision ie four judges decide one way, four the other? In which case would the status quo continue?

Damien 08-02-2017 13:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35884585)
Interesting. Can it end in no decision ie four judges decide one way, four the other? In which case would the status quo continue?

Yup the existing verdict at the lower level stands if there is a tie.

Hugh 08-02-2017 13:44

https://apnews.com/f97c60f658a648328d7711cfd58888d2

Quote:

AP FACT CHECK: Trump botches murder rate

President Donald Trump's dark view of violent crime in America rests largely on a bogus claim: that the murder rate is higher than it's been in nearly half a century. Actually, the murder rate is down sharply in that time, despite a recent spike.

On Tuesday, he told a meeting of sheriffs: "The murder rate in our country is the highest it's been in 47 years, right? Did you know that? Forty-seven years. I used to use that — I'd say that in a speech and everybody was surprised because the press doesn't tell it like it is." He circled back to add: "The murder rate is the highest it's been in, I guess, from 45 to 47 years."

THE FACTS: The murder rate in 2015, the latest year for which figures are available, is actually among the lowest in half a century. It stood at 4.9 murders per 100,000 people, a far cry from the rates in the 1970s, 1980s and most of the 1990s, when they were typically over 6 per 100,000, peaking at over 10 in 1980.

It's true that 2015 saw one of the largest increases in decades, up 10 percent from 4.4 murders per 100,000 people in 2014, but even with that rise homicides are not on the order of what the country experienced in previous decades.

Trump has misrepresented crime statistics on several occasions. He stated last month that Philadelphia's murder rate has been "terribly increasing" even though it dropped slightly last year. The city's murder rate rose in the previous two years but remained substantially lower than in past decades.

He also incorrectly claimed that two people "were shot and killed" in Chicago during then-President Barack Obama's farewell speech on Jan. 10. Although Chicago has experienced a surge in murders compared with previous decades, no one was fatally shot in Chicago that day, police records show, much less during Obama's speech.
More alternative facts...

1andrew1 08-02-2017 14:12

Ivanka Trump's entanglement with establishment media family the Murdochs comes to the surface. Google the headline in bold below to read the full article

Ivanka Trump oversaw Murdoch daughters’ trust
Donald Trump’s daughter Ivanka was a trustee for a large bloc of shares in 21st Century Fox and News Corp that belong to Rupert Murdoch’s two youngest daughters, underscoring the close ties between the US president’s family and the mogul behind the Fox News Channel.
https://www.ft.com/content/a615f0ce-...f-061b01e23655

Mick 08-02-2017 14:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35884592)

Hypocrisy Hugh, at it again..... :rolleyes:

Obama has told way more Alternative Facts, here is a sample of a few:-

Quote:

1. Obama painted a rosier picture of the economy than it really is. "After the worst recession in 80 years, we’ve fought our way back," Obama said. "We’ve seen deficits come down, 401(k)s recover, an auto industry set new records, unemployment reach eight-year lows, and our businesses create 15 million new jobs."

Here's why each of these claims is false, in respective order:

Ronald Reagan inherited a worse economy than Obama.
  • According to USA Today, while deficits have declined under Obama, "they are expected to rise again soon under his proposed budget." Additionally, as The Daily Wire editor-in-chief Ben Shapiro explains here, Obama completely "blew out" the deficit to $1 trillion in first year in office and created a $4 trillion budget, doubling the $2 trillion budget preceding him. He then reduced the budget to $3.5 trillion–not as much, but absurdly high. The overall debt is now over $19 trillion in debt.
  • It is natural for 401(k)s to recover on their own after a recession. But the Obama administration is pushing regulations that would drive people into government-run retirement accounts.
  • The Federal Reserve's "easy money" practices have resulted in an artificially inflated auto industry that's being set up for disaster.
  • The unemployment figure is incredibly misleading since it's not including those that have dropped out of the workforce. The 15 million jobs number is also misleading without context, and there's actually a 14 million "jobs gap," according to Investor's Business Daily.

2. Obama lied about the troops. He said that "we brought more of our troops home to their families." Problem is, 75 percent of U.S. soldier deaths in Afghanistan have occurred under Obama.

3. He also lied about the success of his diplomacy. Obama bloviated that his diplomacy "shut down Iran’s nuclear weapons program" and "opened up a new chapter with the people of Cuba."

Actually, the Iran deal has paved the way for the terror state to obtain nuclear weapons sooner than expected, and his relations on Cuba have further tightened the iron fist of the Castro brother's tyrannical regime.
For more Alternative Facts from 4 to 9 from Obama, see:-

http://www.dailywire.com/news/7894/9...-aaron-bandler

Oh and what's this also..... ???

Bill Clinton LIED under OATH regarding his affair with Monica Lewinsky...

Quote:

WASHINGTON - President Clinton escaped indictment yesterday by surrendering his Arkansas law license for five years and admitting that he made false statements under oath about his affair with Monica Lewinsky.

"I hope my actions today will help bring closure and finality to these matters," he said in a statement read by his press secretary after the deal was cut.

It was an abrupt but fitting capper to the endless Gothic saga of expensive investigations that led from a grubby land deal to a sordid Oval Office sex farce.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...ticle-1.904790

pip08456 08-02-2017 14:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35884592)

But is it an alternative fact?

Your quote is based on a statistical number X.X /100,000. What are the actual numbers? Don't forget the population has increased in the past 50 yrs so statistically it may be lower but numbers could well be higher.

1andrew1 08-02-2017 14:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35884596)
But is it an alternative fact?

Your quote is based on a statistical number X.X /100,000. What are the actual numbers? Don't forget the population has increased in the past 50 yrs so statistically it may be lower but numbers could well be higher.

Trump was talking about a rate which is per person, not absolute numbers.

---------- Post added at 14:33 ---------- Previous post was at 14:31 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35884595)
Hypocrisy Hugh, at it again..... :rolleyes:

In fairness to Hugh, this thread is about President Donald Trump, not the previous presidents.

Mick 08-02-2017 14:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35884598)
In fairness to Hugh, this thread is about President Donald Trump, not the previous presidents.

LMFAO.....I am well aware of what this thread is about and I certainly do not need telling by you.

So here we are, some of you having issues and trying to paint a picture of Trump lying, may be he did tell a porker yesterday, but I am not having you or anybody else saying it is not okay to highlight the hypocrisy going on here regarding former Presidents, when it came to them telling Alternative facts.

1andrew1 08-02-2017 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35884604)
LMFAO.....I am well aware of what this thread is about and I certainly do not need telling by you.

So here we are, some of you having issues and trying to paint a picture of Trump lying, may be he did tell a porker yesterday, but I am not having you or anybody else saying it is not okay to highlight the hypocrisy going on here regarding former Presidents, when it came to them telling Alternative facts.

I'm confused but that's not hard. :) What was wrong with what Hugh posted? Hugh's not trying to benchmark Trump with previous presidents - and it's probably too early to do that - but pointing out some incorrect information that Trump is stating as fact.

Damien 08-02-2017 14:58

Yeah don't see how Hugh is being hypocritical. This tactic of shutting down criticism with accusations of hypocrisy if they haven't criticised someone else. There will always be someone else to condemn. I mean I didn't see anyone here have a go at Nixon?

denphone 08-02-2017 15:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35884608)
Yeah don't see how Hugh is being hypocritical. This tactic of shutting down criticism with accusations of hypocrisy if they haven't criticised someone else. There will always be someone else to condemn. I mean I didn't see anyone here have a go at Nixon?

Most politicians lie no matter what political persuasion they are and it has been happening long before even l was born.

pip08456 08-02-2017 15:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35884598)
Trump was talking about a rate which is per person, not absolute numbers.

Now you're talking like a politician and using obfuscation.

If there were 2,000 murders last year and 2,500 this year then the rate has gone up and has nothing to do with per person. That is the public perception, deal with it instead of hiding behind statistics.

Mick 08-02-2017 15:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35884610)
Most politicians lie no matter what political persuasion they are and it has been happening long before even l was born.

This is right... All politicians never tell it as is it, distort the truth, bend it for their own purposes.

So no there is nothing wrong with Hugh highlighting that Trump could be lying but the term 'Alternative Facts', has history in the White House by former Presidents of the United States. But the way it is being put across here, because Trump may be doing it too, it makes him extra bad.... :rolleyes:

1andrew1 08-02-2017 15:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35884612)
Now you're talking like a politician and using obfuscation.

If there were 2,000 murders last year and 2,500 this year then the rate has gone up and has nothing to do with per person. That is the public perception, deal with it instead of hiding behind statistics.

If there were 2,000 murders last year and 2,500 this year then we do not know what the murder rate is as we do not know what the population was this year and last year.
Murder rates are calculated per 100,000 people. Please try to understand the issue before criticising people.

pip08456 08-02-2017 15:32

I don't care how the authorities calculate the murder rate, I am talking about public perception.

Joe Public looks at the number not the statistics. Trump could well be looking at it the same way IDK.

Hugh 08-02-2017 15:39

Well, since the number of US troops in Afghanistan was reduced from 100,000 in 2010 to 8,400 in 2016, I would call that "bringing more of our troops home to their families".

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/m...2001/86755782/

YMMV

And please accept my apologies for calling Trump's statements 'alternative facts' - I should have just called them lies...

Mick 08-02-2017 15:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35884616)
I don't care how the authorities calculate the murder rate, I am talking about public perception.

Joe Public looks at the number not the statistics. Trump could well be looking at it the same way IDK.

Give up Pip, the left only see what they want to see. ;)

pip08456 08-02-2017 15:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35884619)
Give up Pip, the left only see what they want to see. ;)

You got that right Mick!

martyh 08-02-2017 16:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35884613)
This is right... All politicians never tell it as is it, distort the truth, bend it for their own purposes.

So no there is nothing wrong with Hugh highlighting that Trump could be lying but the term 'Alternative Facts', has history in the White House by former Presidents of the United States. But the way it is being put across here, because Trump may be doing it too, it makes him extra bad.... :rolleyes:

We all know politicians lie or exaggerate the truth but Trump isn't a politician and he was elected on a platform of telling the truth and 'telling it how it is' his track record so far is not good

Mick 08-02-2017 16:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35884632)
We all know politicians lie or exaggerate the truth but Trump isn't a politician and he was elected on a platform of telling the truth and 'telling it how it is' his track record so far is not good

In your opinion.

And for the record, he is now a Politician, being the President of the United States. ;)

pip08456 08-02-2017 16:51

Yemen Withdraws Permission for U.S. Antiterror Ground Missions

Now let me get this right. The military wanted to carry out this raid but Obama wouldn't sanction it preferring to leave it up to Trump.

Trump said OK as the military had planned it all and (presumably) made the decision based on what the military had informed him.

The operation went pear shaped and it's Trump's fault?

WTF.

martyh 08-02-2017 17:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35884633)
In your opinion.

And for the record, he is now a Politician, being the President of the United States. ;)

Not my opinion Mick ,Trump made the statement himself

Quote:

On "Media Buzz," Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump said that he has no campaign strategy other than "honesty" and telling "it like it is."

Howie Kurtz had asked the GOP frontrunner if his strategy was to dominate campaign coverage by saying things he knows would get a huge media reaction, like a plan to temporarily ban Muslims from entering the country.

The billionaire real estate mogul responded: "I have no campaign strategy."

"Do you know what my strategy is? Honesty. I say it like it is...and tell it like it is."

On his comments about Muslims, Trump said "the fact is that there's a problem."

"We're going to solve the problem. The way we're going to solve the problem is to air the problem. I air the problem."

He also said in response to media critics that he's the only candidate who speaks his mind and tells the truth
http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/12/2...paign-strategy

Osem 08-02-2017 17:15

Alternative facts, fake news, spin - all part of the same deception used, in all likelihood, by every government there's every been. Only the method of delivery is different. We're in a world in which the masses can and will believe what they choose to because there'll always be someone or something at hand to confirm the 'facts' the prefer.

We're living in a world in which govt. is going to be increasingly influenced by social media and which particular topics become the most 'viral' regardless of the veracity of the 'facts' presented.

1andrew1 08-02-2017 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35884616)

The key indicator for the success of a hotel is its occupancy rate. Hotels are Trump's business so he knows what a rate is even if you believe the public don't.

---------- Post added at 17:18 ---------- Previous post was at 17:15 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35884636)

Now let me get this right. The military wanted to carry out this raid but Obama wouldn't sanction it preferring to leave it up to Trump.

Trump said OK as the military had planned it all and (presumably) made the decision based on what the military had informed him.

WTF.

Obama judged the raid not to be sensible so decided against it. Trump decided differently with catastrophic results. Ultimately, it's his fault but he's learning that you can't delegate things in the way that you can in business.

martyh 08-02-2017 17:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35884636)

WTF.

Yes because Trump is the commander in chief also there is this from your link

Quote:

His approval of the Jan. 29 raid came over a dinner four nights earlier with his top national security aides, rather than in the kind of rigorous review in the Situation Room that became fairly routine under President George W. Bush and Mr. Obama.

1andrew1 08-02-2017 17:45

Here's a bit of background on how Trump was persuaded to agree to the Yemen raid by his staff. .

Donald Trump's staff get him to agree to policies by saying 'Obama wouldn't have done it'
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7566861.html

However, Pip may have been a little hasty in describing the raid which missed its target and killed 30 civilians and one US Navy SEAL as having gone "pear-shaped". According to the White House, it was “a successful operation by all standards”.

martyh 08-02-2017 17:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35884651)
Here's a bit of background on how Trump was persuaded to agree to the Yemen raid by his staff. .

Donald Trump's staff get him to agree to policies by saying 'Obama wouldn't have done it'
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7566861.html

However, Pip may have been a little hasty in describing the raid which missed its target and killed 30 civilians and one US Navy SEAL as having gone "pear-shaped". According to the White House, it was “a successful operation by all standards”.

So given that Trump and his staff are always truthful and "tell it like it is" the only conclusion to be drawn is that the US meant to kill the civilians and children.

Mick 08-02-2017 18:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35884640)
Not my opinion Mick ,Trump made the statement himself

http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/12/2...paign-strategy

Perhaps I should have highlighted where I was aiming the 'Your opinion at'. You said his record is bad so far, that is where I aiming 'that's your opinion', not at what he said during his campaign.

I say your opinion, because he is doing everything he said he would do on the campaign trail, which of course he was democratically elected on, so I would say all his supporters and the people who voted for him would heavily disagree with you.

As for the Travel ban, which others like to call it.... shock horror:-

55% of Europeans agree with Trump's Immigration Restriction, only 20% disagreed with it, 25% neither agreed or disagreed or was not sure of it....

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Independent

Most Europeans want immigration ban from Muslim-majority countries, poll reveals

47 per cent of Britons want to stop immigration from Muslim majority countries

A majority of Europeans want a ban on immigration from Muslim-majority countries, a poll has revealed.

An average of 55 per cent of people across the 10 European countries surveyed wanted to stop all future immigration from mainly Muslim countries.

The Chatham House study, conducted before US President Donald Trump signed an executive order banning immigration to the US from seven predominantly Muslim countries, found majorities in all but two of the ten states opposed immigration from mainly Muslim countries.

<snip>

In no country did more than 32 per cent disagree with a ban.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7567301.html

Kursk 08-02-2017 18:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35884653)
....the only conclusion to be drawn is that the US meant to kill the civilians and children.

For godness sake martyh is that really worth posting?:td:

martyh 08-02-2017 18:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35884657)
For godness sake martyh is that really worth posting?:td:

What's the matter ,don't you like it when Trump shows what a completely useless asshat he is

---------- Post added at 18:17 ---------- Previous post was at 18:13 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35884656)
Perhaps I should have highlighted where I was aiming the 'Your opinion at'. You said his record is bad so far, that is where I aiming 'that's your opinion', not at what he said during his campaign.

I say your opinion, because he is doing everything he said he would do on the campaign trail, which of course he was democratically elected on, so I would say all his supporters and the people who voted for him would heavily disagree with you.

There is loads of stuff showing where trump has lied ,exaggerated,or 'forgot' about his election promises so it's not just my opinion

Mick 08-02-2017 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35884660)

There is loads of stuff showing where trump has lied ,exaggerated,or 'forgot' about his election promises so it's not just my opinion

Which Election promises has he forgot about ?

And yes it is just your opinion.

1andrew1 08-02-2017 18:32

Overall, I do think Trump appears to be trying to deliver on his promises, perhaps more so than many commentators expected.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35884664)

What he has not delivered on is not to put Hillary Clinton behind bars. He didn't forget about her, he just changed his mind once he'd won the election.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...n-jail-dropped

Mick 08-02-2017 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35884666)
Overall, I do think Trump appears to be trying to deliver on his promises, perhaps more so than many commentators expected.

What he has not delivered on is not to put Hillary Clinton behind bars. He didn't forget about her, he just changed his mind once he'd won the election.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...n-jail-dropped

Wow, that's one, martyh, gave the impression there was loads he had forgot, round about the same as he was having a silly OTT outburst towards Kursk.

1andrew1 08-02-2017 18:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35884668)
Wow, that's one, martyh, gave the impression there was loads he had forgot, round about the same as he was having a silly OTT outburst towards Kursk.

Doubtless there are more. For example, the wall will now be US-funded and Trump will try and figure out a way to get Mexico to pay for it but good luck with that! I didn't see any outbursts from Kursk or martyh but I'm more interested in the debate.

martyh 08-02-2017 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35884668)

What OTT outburst,

1andrew1 08-02-2017 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35884678)
What OTT outburst,

There wasn't one, it's just a dead cat tactic.

pip08456 08-02-2017 21:11

Quote:

So given that Trump and his staff are always truthful and "tell it like it is" the only conclusion to be drawn is that the US meant to kill the civilians and children.

So, the Pentagon come up with a plan that Obama didn't wish to sign off on preferring it to be left to his successor, his succsseor is advised by the Pentagon that the plan is sound and has a high success probability. He then, based on the advice of the Pentagon (and others) gives the OK.

It's not the first time the US has co*ked up in military operations and not always the fault of whoever is in power. Planning and operation is down to the Pentagon and if a President cannot trust their judgement then they should be replaced.

papa smurf 08-02-2017 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35884703)
So, the Pentagon come up with a plan that Obama didn't wish to sign off on preferring it to be left to his successor, his succsseor is advised by the Pentagon that the plan is sound and has a high success probability. He then, based on the advice of the Pentagon (and others) gives the OK.

It's not the first time the US has co*ked up in military operations and not always the fault of whoever is in power. Planning and operation is down to the Pentagon and if a President cannot trust their judgement then they should be replaced.

most western countries have crack troops the usa has crap troops that bugger up everything they get involved in you cant blame the don for that he hasn't been in charge long enough .

---------- Post added at 21:39 ---------- Previous post was at 21:24 ----------

Quote:

one of the more interesting martyisms to date :)

Pierre 08-02-2017 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35884703)

The Bay of Pigs incident is the perfect example of that very scenario.

It wasn't Kennedy's plan, but he was pressured into as the rookie incoming President.

---------- Post added at 21:48 ---------- Previous post was at 21:43 ----------

Quote:

In your feeble head maybe.

pip08456 08-02-2017 21:52

Jimmy Carter is a better example.

Quote:

Finally, with the Iranians showing no signs of releasing the hostages, Carter decided to take a risk. On April 11, 1980 he approved a high-risk rescue operation, called "Desert One," that had been in the works for months. Though the odds were against its success, the president was devastated when he had to abort the mission due to three malfunctioning helicopters. When another helicopter crashed into a C-130 transport plane while taking off, eight servicemen were killed and three more were injured. The next morning, gleeful Iranians broadcast footage of the smoking remains of the rescue attempt, a stark symbol of American impotence.

Mr Banana 08-02-2017 22:19

He's having a go at a business decision made by Nordstrom now?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38912247

1andrew1 08-02-2017 22:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Banana (Post 35884728)
He's having a go at a business decision made by Nordstrom now?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38912247

Counter productive commercially.

Now every retailer knows that if it decides to take a punt on selling clothes by Ivana Trunk but doesn't sell enough to make money then it can either:
1) Carry on losing money.
2) Stop stocking the clothes but face aggressive tweets from the President.

Average retailer's decision: not worth the risk.

Arthurgray50@blu 08-02-2017 22:59

I have to laugh everytime l read or see anything on that prat Trump.

He is now whining about companies that are abandoning his wife. Have you seen pictures of here each time she appears with that prat. Never smiling, as if she is not being the wife of the man who is causing so much truble in the US. And he has only been Presidnt for a few months.

He must be the only President, who is the most disliked person in American History.

Mick 08-02-2017 23:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35884736)
I have to laugh everytime l read or see anything on that prat Trump.

He is now whining about companies that are abandoning his wife. Have you seen pictures of here each time she appears with that prat. Never smiling, as if she is not being the wife of the man who is causing so much truble in the US. And he has only been Presidnt for a few months.

He must be the only President, who is the most disliked person in American History.

I have to laugh at another one of your late night, misinformed views because you don't read things properly. Ivanka is his Daughter! Not wife. :rolleyes:

pip08456 08-02-2017 23:47

It's Arthur, what do you expect Mick? He doesn't have the intelligence.

TheDaddy 09-02-2017 01:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35884664)

There's a few good ones here

http://reverbpress.com/politics/15-b...les-migraines/

The stand outs for me are reversing gay marriage, deporting 11 million illegals and settling the trump university suits plus I'm sure I remember him saying he'd put his businesses in a blind trust and then not

---------- Post added at 01:51 ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35884744)
I have to laugh at another one of your late night, misinformed views because you don't read things properly. Ivanka is his Daughter! Not wife. :rolleyes:

Didn't he say he'd date his daughter so maybe that explains the confusion

Mick 09-02-2017 02:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy
Didn't he say he'd date his daughter so maybe that explains the confusion

I think you're the one very confused.... :nutter: