Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Networking (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Belkin Wireless G router + Belkin Gaming Adapter (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33639819)

paulmills 11-10-2008 22:29

Belkin Wireless G router + Belkin Gaming Adapter

Hello,

I have virgin media cable internet in my living room and a DVR (records CCTV footage) in my bedroom. The DVR has a built in web server which allows me to view my CCTV recording from anywhere on the net. To get this to work i have to be able to connect the DVR to the cable internet connection and configure some NAT. Therefore i went out and brought a Belkin Wireless G router + Belkin Gaming Adapter (model below)

I attached the router to the cable modem and then used my wireless enabled laptop to confirm the wireless router is working all OK and connection sustained for over 2 hours. I also enabled WPA (TKIP) encryption on the router. All worked OK even though ive read on forums that WPA is not supported!

I then went to my bedroom and configured the gaming adapter (using desktop) to peer with my secure cable network wireless router downstairs in my living room. This worked fine and my desktop could connect to the internet (I had to assign static ip address and dns to desktop). Looked promising. Then the real crunch, attaching my DVR to the wireless gaming adapter.

I configured my DVR with a static ip address and plugged this into the gaming adapter and that’s where it all went wrong :-(

No wireless "bridge" is formed from the gaming adpater to the Belkin router. The LAN link lights on the gaming adapter and the DVR are lit (solid) however i cannot connect to the DVR from the internet or locally on MY LAN. The wireless light on the Belkin router does not flash and is not lit.

I tested this thoroughly but in essence i plugged my laptop into my Belkin router and tried pinging the dvr and no luck...

This should work right? Will a firmware update help? What difference is an xb360 to a DVR? (networking wise that is!)

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers
P

Gaming Adapter - Belkin F5D7330UK - 54G Ethernet - Gaming Adapter
Router - Belkin F5D9230UK4 G+MIMO Router

Axegrinder 11-10-2008 23:46

Re: Belkin Wireless G router + Belkin Gaming Adapter

If the wireless light on the router isnt lit, its not transmitting a signal.

paulmills 12-10-2008 09:48

Apologies, what i meant to say was

"the wireless light on the Belkin gaming adapter does not flash and is not lit. " However the wireless router light is light and i can confirm its working as other laptops can connect to my wireless network.

mrmistoffelees 12-10-2008 09:52

Is the DVR configured with the same gateway and subnet mask that you specified on the PC when testing the adaptor ?

paulmills 12-10-2008 11:30

Hi,

Yes. Laptop had ip address 192.168.1.50/24 and when i unplugged the cat5 cable between laptop and wireless adapter and put it straight into DVR which also had 192.168.1.50/24. I even rebooted router (in case arp was cached)... but to no luck.

why would a dvr nic be any different to a xbox 360 NIC?

Thanks.
P

PC Virgin 12-10-2008 11:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulmills (Post 34652294)
Hello,

I have virgin media cable internet in my living room and a DVR (records CCTV footage) in my bedroom. The DVR has a built in web server which allows me to view my CCTV recording from anywhere on the net. To get this to work i have to be able to connect the DVR to the cable internet connection and configure some NAT. Therefore i went out and brought a Belkin Wireless G router + Belkin Gaming Adapter (model below)

I attached the router to the cable modem and then used my wireless enabled laptop to confirm the wireless router is working all OK and connection sustained for over 2 hours. I also enabled WPA (TKIP) encryption on the router. All worked OK even though ive read on forums that WPA is not supported!

I then went to my bedroom and configured the gaming adapter (using desktop) to peer with my secure cable network wireless router downstairs in my living room. This worked fine and my desktop could connect to the internet (I had to assign static ip address and dns to desktop). Looked promising. Then the real crunch, attaching my DVR to the wireless gaming adapter.

I configured my DVR with a static ip address and plugged this into the gaming adapter and that’s where it all went wrong :-(

No wireless "bridge" is formed from the gaming adpater to the Belkin router. The LAN link lights on the gaming adapter and the DVR are lit (solid) however i cannot connect to the DVR from the internet or locally on MY LAN. The wireless light on the Belkin router does not flash and is not lit.

I tested this thoroughly but in essence i plugged my laptop into my Belkin router and tried pinging the dvr and no luck...

This should work right? Will a firmware update help? What difference is an xb360 to a DVR? (networking wise that is!)

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers
P

Gaming Adapter - Belkin F5D7330UK - 54G Ethernet - Gaming Adapter
Router - Belkin F5D9230UK4 G+MIMO Router

In my opinion I think you should of bought this belkin router http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/451676...e/Product.html

Your configuration seems to be ok but your current router may not be handling so many devices, I was told in past that 54g is sufficient but when I changed routers to the one I shown you it made my life a whole lot better plus if you read up on this router it will tell you it can handle more, I might be wrong but its worth a try.

paulmills 12-10-2008 12:07

Hi PC Virgin,

Thanks for the advise.

I did think about changing the wireless router and gaming adapter but if i can plug my laptop into the wireless gaming adapter aswell as a desktop and it all works fine then it must be the DVR that is not able to do a part of thr TCP/IP process that is required by a device to communicate on the network.

mrmistoffelees 12-10-2008 12:44

What make and model is the DVR ?

paulmills 12-10-2008 13:59

Hi,

The DVR is an Avtech 782

http://www.isec-solutions.co.uk/P/AV...4-DVR(512).htm

mrmistoffelees 12-10-2008 14:08

According to this site

http://www.avtech.com.tw/english/cct...px?ID=AVC782AD

the USB port is for flash drive only not network ? is there no ethernet port on the box ?

From the device specs.

USB Interface Support USB 1.1/2.0 flash drive
Backup Device Support USB 1.1/2.0 flash drive, DVD-WRITER and network remote backup
Web Transmitting / Compression Format Motion JPEG
Ethernet 10/100 Base-T. Support remote control and live view via Ethernet.

Needs to be hooked up via an ethernet cable to your router in order to make it work

paulmills 12-10-2008 14:15

Yep, i am not using the USB port. USB port is only for backups.

I am connecting the Ethernet LAN port on the DVR to a wireless gaming adapter and the wireless gaming adapter has been configured to peer with my wireless router down$stairs which is connected to my Virgin Media Broadband router.

If i connect the DVR (bedroom) to my router (living room) via a cable (50m of course!) it all works fine however i cannot leave a 50m cable trailing my staircase :-)

I can't understand why the DVR is not happing going through the gaming adapter?

mrmistoffelees 12-10-2008 17:08

wouldnt you have to configure the IP address on the ethernet port in the DVR rather than the adaptor ? otherwise how does the DVR know what IP address it is ?

What happens if you configure the DVR with all the IP details and then plug the adaptor in ?

might mean nothing but im cluthching at straws now im afraid

paulmills 12-10-2008 17:39

Yep, IP address is configured on DVR and set as static. When i plug DVR into belkin router via cat5 cable it works fine. But when i plug in the cat5 cable into the wireless gaming adapter and "hope" the adapter can peer with the belkin router, this does not work.

The gamin adpater does not have much options. You basically tell it the wireless router to peer with and that it is... its a switch (Layer 2) and does not have any IP interfaces.

mrmistoffelees 12-10-2008 20:11

Im wondering if it might be easier or simpler for you to purchase a wireless access point and then configure it to run as follows.

SACM------Router <><><><><><><>WLAN Access point (configured with static IP on same range as router issuing DHCP)-----------DVR (issued with DHCP from WLAN Access point NOT router)

From what you have posted it looks plain and simple that for some reason that DVR does not like the adaptor you have

kpanchev 12-10-2008 21:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 34652755)
Im wondering if it might be easier or simpler for you to purchase a wireless access point and then configure it to run as follows.

SACM------Router <><><><><><><>WLAN Access point (configured with static IP on same range as router issuing DHCP)-----------DVR (issued with DHCP from WLAN Access point NOT router)

From what you have posted it looks plain and simple that for some reason that DVR does not like the adaptor you have

The gaming adapter is in effect an access point... also, access points do not give dynamic IP addresses...
As I see it from the info you have provided, you probably have an IP conflict somewhere. Have you tried DHCP for all your devices? Your router should be capable of dealing with a lot more than 3-4 clients that you currently have. Check the IP addresses of your computers, the DVR and the gaming adaptor (yes, it is a layer 2 bridge, but it still has an IP address for management purposes). Make sure that they are all unique and on the same network. If possible, give details of the IP configuration of all your devices (including IP address, subnet mask and default gateway).