Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Superhub : Free "upgrade" 20mb to 60mb, wish I hadn't... (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33687522)

Chrysalis 10-05-2012 12:18

Re: Free "upgrade" 20mb to 60mb, wish I hadn't...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35425681)
Happened in my area last week, can't say if it's everywhere but makes sense to do that

so they not going to scrap docsis1 now then?

jb66 10-05-2012 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwikbreaks (Post 35425906)
I thought TV and BB were totally separate anyway. Are you saying that some of the TV stuff gets delivered over the same channels that get used for BB?

I thaught they were the same, otherwise what was the point on the TiVo ever being on docsis3 with its higher signal quality requirement

---------- Post added at 12:35 ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 ----------

All stbs use docsis 1 so it was never going to get 'Scrapped' for a long time

qasdfdsaq 10-05-2012 13:16

TiVo is basically IPTV.

kwikbreaks 10-05-2012 15:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35425945)
TiVo is basically IPTV.

Jesus - they just add to the joy don't they? I thought all the TV was just delivered as broadcast with a bit of automatic recording. No wonder the network is shot and there was me looking up and down the street for a friggin jolly roger and a bloke with a wooden leg. So it's probably just couch potatoes naffing it all up then?

qasdfdsaq 10-05-2012 19:58

OK, well it's not that extreme.

It's delivered over different channels and protocols than the broadband service. Only the "on demand" stuff uses additional data.

Skie 10-05-2012 21:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35425945)
TiVo is basically IPTV.

Not really.

The TV service is the same as every other box VM uses. It takes no bandwidth away from other uses because it just receives the channels broadcast to every cabled home.

The on demand stuff though IS different. Instead of relying on the headend to host the content then broadcast it like normal CATV to individual users (which was really seamlessly done and amazingly effective), it connects to a server using the built-in cablemodem and streams the video. iPlayer, youtube etc all use this method, as do the EPG updates. I dont know if VM still use the old on demand methods with Tivo for things like live events or on demand movies.

garmcqui 10-05-2012 22:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35425674)
TiVo is moving from docsis3 to docsis 1 so hopefully that can sort issues like this out

jb66 - is it just TIVO that's moving to docsis 1, or will my V+ box etc do the same too? Is there any way to find out from the box's settings?

Chrysalis 11-05-2012 01:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skie (Post 35426143)
Not really.

The TV service is the same as every other box VM uses. It takes no bandwidth away from other uses because it just receives the channels broadcast to every cabled home.

The on demand stuff though IS different. Instead of relying on the headend to host the content then broadcast it like normal CATV to individual users (which was really seamlessly done and amazingly effective), it connects to a server using the built-in cablemodem and streams the video. iPlayer, youtube etc all use this method, as do the EPG updates. I dont know if VM still use the old on demand methods with Tivo for things like live events or on demand movies.

yeah why would iptv be better than the old method? I assume they have a reason.

Although I do know on demand on my box is dodgy (not tivo) I often get errors so I guess is issues on the old method when heavy customer density?

jb66 11-05-2012 02:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by garmcqui (Post 35426182)
jb66 - is it just TIVO that's moving to docsis 1, or will my V+ box etc do the same too? Is there any way to find out from the box's settings?

V+ and all other boxes use docsis1 so no change, it was just TiVo that was on docsis3