Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   The beast of Baglan (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=39040)

Russ 01-12-2005 00:53

The beast of Baglan

No, not me.....but it's out there!

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/di...=sidebarsearch

Baglan is a small village and happens to be the part of Port Talbot in which I live - I'll be taking my camera everywhere with me now :D

Marge 01-12-2005 01:01

Re: The beast of Baglan

Can Clarie not just take a piccie of you and job done ?? :Sprint:

Russ 01-12-2005 01:03

Grrrr......

Marge 01-12-2005 01:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ D
Grrrr......

no Russ, should be more a purrrrrrrrrrr :D :D

danielf 01-12-2005 01:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marge
no Russ, should be more a purrrrrrrrrrr :D :D

Or, in the case of a big cat:

PURRRRRRRRRRRRRR

fireman328 01-12-2005 01:13

A long time ago spent some time in Wales, I think I may have gone out with this girl ! ;)

Salu 01-12-2005 01:29

This story certainly gives a greater credibility to the other big cat stories around the country...

Nidge 01-12-2005 06:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salu
This story certainly gives a greater credibility to the other big cat stories around the country...

It would do because it was supposedly spotted by a copper, if it was spotted by a normal memebr of the public the press would have laughed. It's nice to see that they took a cast of it's foot and tested it for DNA "another waste of police money".

Anonymouse 01-12-2005 08:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salu

Such as the sighting of the large (actually, huge) black cat which the authorities claimed was just an unusually large domestic moggy? Please. Its tail alone was longer than a Norwegian Forest Cat, and they're about the biggest breed of felis domesticus there is.
That was no moggy. It was a panther. End of story. There have been many cases of cattle and sheep being killed by something which left wounds entirely consistent with those which might be inflicted by a big cat. I don't think any dog, however large, could kill a cow - but a big cat could.

The theory as to where these big cats came from is that they're escapees and/or illegal releases from the various private zoos which were briefly popular in the 70s before they were first heavily licensed, then banned altogether. Doubtless their former owners thought they wouldn't survive in Britain's harsh climate - forgetting that while Africa is much warmer, in terms of survivability it is no less harsh. Big cats are highly adaptable survivors; colder climes wouldn't bother them all that much.

If anything, Britain is a more favourable environment - virtually no competition for food and territory, as the UK's largest native cat is the Scottish Wildcat (which isn't much bigger than a domestic cat); lots and lots of cover (moorlands, forests, hedgerows etc.); and, best of all, easy prey in the form of cattle and sheep. Frankly, I'm surprised there haven't been more sightings than those reported.

But I hope the police et al don't overreact by shooting them; big cats will avoid people instinctively, and thus won't be all that dangerous. Granted they should be caught, just in case, but they should either be sent to sanctuaries or back to their native lands. Shooting them isn't necessary. Some of them are far too rare as it is.

Here's a question: the BBC has big cat experts on its staff, viz. the Big Cat Diary crew. Why not send them to look for these cats? They've had years of experience tracking down even the most elusive of cats, the leopards; they shouldn't find it too hard tracking them down here.

BTW: the article says, "We have been told it is not a puma but either a mountain lion or a lynx." Oh, good grief. A 'mountain lion' is a puma. So much for these 'experts'. :erm:
Mountain lion, puma and cougar are three names for the same animal (though there are several more) - the name varies with the cat's native region: puma in South America, cougar in the western states of North America, mountain lion in and around California. The photo is definitely not of a puma, but a lynx - smaller, native to more wintery climes such as Canada, but no less beautiful.

---------- Post added at 07:11 ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ D
Baglan is a small village and happens to be the part of Port Talbot in which I live - I'll be taking my camera everywhere with me now :D

If you see it, Russ, please post any photos you manage to take!

Damien 01-12-2005 11:20

The pic on that news story look remarkibly like the one on wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynx

Chris 01-12-2005 12:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anonymouse
BTW: the article says, "We have been told it is not a puma but either a mountain lion or a lynx." Oh, good grief. A 'mountain lion' is a puma. So much for these 'experts'. :erm:
Mountain lion, puma and cougar are three names for the same animal (though there are several more) - the name varies with the cat's native region: puma in South America, cougar in the western states of North America, mountain lion in and around California. The photo is definitely not of a puma, but a lynx - smaller, native to more wintery climes such as Canada, but no less beautiful.

Actually, that's not so stupid as it sounds. Even if they are essentially the same animal, there will be subtle genetic differences between the South African and North American animals. So it is reasonable for the 'experts', on the basis of DNA tests on the hairs, to be able to rule out 'puma' but not be able to say whether it's a lynx or mountain lion - presumably genetic differences between the North American varieties are less noticeable due to the possibility of interbreeding.

Russ 01-12-2005 12:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien
The pic on that news story look remarkibly like the one on wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynx

So now we know where they got that reference picture from :D

Nugget 01-12-2005 14:00

1 Attachment(s)
Latest picture is in!!!

Chris 01-12-2005 14:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nugget
Latest picture is in!!!

You have waaaay too much time on your hands. :erm: :D

Nugget 01-12-2005 15:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris T
You have waaaay too much time on your hands. :erm: :D

Took me ages that did - people kept asking me to do my job while I was doing it ;)

Anyway, never miss the opportunity to take the mickey - you know that :D