Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   General IT Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   If it got stolen! (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33657088)

Wayfair 23-10-2009 11:35

If it got stolen!

If you lost your lappy / netboot or heaven forbid got burgled and your pc got stolen, how secure do you think your private data is?

Quote:

Identity Finder searches the deepest recesses of a computer to locate and secure data that is vulnerable to identity theft - even when you don’t know it exists. The information is then presented to you to permanently shred, quarantine to a secure location, or encrypt with a password.
The free version is a tad basic but it gives you a good idea on any issues you may need to address.

Code:

http://www.identityfinder.com/Products/Identity_Finder.html

zing_deleted 23-10-2009 12:37

Re: If it got stolen!!

my passwords and personal data is encrypted anyway.:)

will run this to see what the score is though :)

Raistlin 23-10-2009 12:38

Very secure thank you.

The Hard Drive of every machine that I own has full drive encryption, and any particularly sensitive information is stored in an encrypted vault on that drive (and is therefore doubly encrypted, although that description is pretty much a nonsense).

I never leave my machines unattended, and I never use the 'hibernate' or 'sleep' modes. When they're not in use, or being transported even short distances, they're fully powered down.

zing_deleted 23-10-2009 12:45

The free version is way to basic only scanning my documents

Raistlin 23-10-2009 12:46

All your pr0n in a different folder zing? :D

I don't think I'll even look at it if that's the case, TBH it's only going to tell me what I already know anyway :)

Wayfair 23-10-2009 12:46

Well yeah but you two anit normal folk, Zing don't sleep, he just reboots..

This is for the masses, the great unwashed, like me good self..

Raistlin 23-10-2009 12:47

:LOL:

I'll take that accusation as a compliment :D Normal I aint :D

webcrawler2050 23-10-2009 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob M (Post 34896124)
Very secure thank you.

The Hard Drive of every machine that I own has full drive encryption, and any particularly sensitive information is stored in an encrypted vault on that drive (and is therefore doubly encrypted, although that description is pretty much a nonsense).

I never leave my machines unattended, and I never use the 'hibernate' or 'sleep' modes. When they're not in use, or being transported even short distances, they're fully powered down.

Is that almost a hint of anger there Mr Rob ;)

Raistlin 23-10-2009 12:50

Only at the vendors of Operating Systems and Applications, and the thieving low-life scumbags, that make it necessary to go to these sorts of lengths just to protect your own data :)

TBH I probably take the security of the data on my machines waaaaaaaaay to seriously. For what's actually on them the precautions that I take could be considered OTT, I'd rather be safe than sorry though :)

Druchii 23-10-2009 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob M (Post 34896150)
Only at the vendors of Operating Systems and Applications, and the thieving low-life scumbags, that make it necessary to go to these sorts of lengths just to protect your own data :)

TBH I probably take the security of the data on my machines waaaaaaaaay to seriously. For what's actually on them the precautions that I take could be considered OTT, I'd rather be safe than sorry though :)

Best way to be though isn't it? :)

I think the creators of the OS will always be fighting a losing battle if they attempted to make them ultra-secure. I mean, just using the machine makes them insecure to a degree, then there's everyone trying to pick holes in the OS...

EDIT:
As for personal data, you'd get my name + email address, possibly a cookie or two for a few websites and an old payslip or two. (Which are devoid of any really useful details)

Raistlin 23-10-2009 13:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Druchii (Post 34896156)
Best way to be though isn't it? :)

I think so, others may disagree :)

xpod 23-10-2009 14:23

Re: If it got stolen!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayfair (Post 34896071)
If you lost your lappy / netboot or heaven forbid got burgled and your pc got stolen, how secure do you think your private data is?

The free version is a tad basic but it gives you a good idea on any issues you may need to address.

Code:

http://www.identityfinder.com/Products/Identity_Finder.html

If we`re talking about your average housebreaking/thieving scumbags then i reckon the just password on most of computers would have them stumped.:)
In the meantime though they better hope they dont get caught on candid camera and even if they were to get out the house with the laptops/desktops(?) i doubt they`d be doing very much with the ones we actually use.Probably flogging them on for even less than they normally would.:rolleyes:

Besides, we dont keep any really sensitive data on our computers. On the other hand our son`s nearly 17 now so he might feel a little differently about that....who knows eh. I`m sure none of it`s as sensitive as those arty magazines his mother came across recently. :shocked:

Wayfair 23-10-2009 14:28

I remember those arty mags so well, it was 25yrs ago but still :o)

I didn't realise mine had been found till mum told me to wash me hands properly before breakfast, odd that I thought, then I went upstairs to get me school bag and saw them in the bin...

xpod 23-10-2009 14:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayfair (Post 34896264)
I remember those arty mags so well, it was 25yrs ago but still :o)

I didn't realise mine had been found till mum told me to wash me hands properly before breakfast, odd that I thought, then I went upstairs to get me school bag and saw them in the bin...

I first got caught with mine inside an Oor Wullie manual, to smother it..... Afterwards i so wished it had just been just the mag i`d been holding up.
I never ever got another Oor Wullie manual for Xmas:(