Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   General : New build with Virgin Media branded ethernet sockets - what to expect? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704486)

Kushan 16-02-2017 08:43

New build with Virgin Media branded ethernet sockets - what to expect?

I went to view a new build property last night and was pleasantly surprised to see it had been cabled for Virgin Media.

What I didn't expect (And was an even more pleasant surprise) was that the bedrooms and living room all had Ethernet sockets in them, with a Virgin Media logo on a (otherwise empty) plate next to them.

Am I right in thinking this is possibly FTTP?

(Sorry, I didn't think to take pictures at the time).

Now, to my understanding, Virgin uses RFoG so the end point equipment is the same - same Superhub, same TiVo box - somewhere the fibre gets converted into a coaxial output. What I'm having trouble grasping is how this works with Ethernet sockets?

I couldn't spot an omnibox anywhere. There might have been a coaxial wall plate in the Living room but I didn't get a good look, nor could I find any kind of patch panel for the Ethernet sockets (I didn't get to look in all of the cupboards, though).

I'm guessing this is fairly standard for new builds, but I can't find any information on it - what should I expect? A Cupboard somewhere with a bunch of coax dangling and a patch panel? Or is there like a shed somewhere in the street passing straight up Ethernet to the houses? (I'm not sure how I'd feel about that and I don't see how that would work with TiVo).

Anyone got anything like this?

rtho782 16-02-2017 08:49

Re: New build with Virgin Media branded ethernet sockets - what to expect?

Yes I'd imagine there will be a point somewhere in the house with a patch panel. Interesting though! I wonder how the Tivo is supposed to connect?

Kushan 16-02-2017 08:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtho782 (Post 35886044)
Yes I'd imagine there will be a point somewhere in the house with a patch panel. Interesting though! I wonder how the Tivo is supposed to connect?

This is what I'm wondering! I'm guessing there was a coax point that I just didn't see, but I really don't know.

The plot I viewed was the show home, the plot I've reserved isn't going to be ready for a while but when it is I'll take pictures.

rtho782 16-02-2017 09:15

Perhaps they wire up ethernet in advance as part of the deal but do the coax like a normal install, or perhaps they do all the TV over IP? Certainly they should have the bandwidth if it's a fibre connection externally, I think Sky do similar on some new builds to deliver without dishes.

DJSADERS 16-02-2017 16:58

From my experience with new builds there usually is either 2 setups...

If it is a house under the stairs there is a double blanking plate with all the wires behind if it's a flat usually this is in the airing cupboard.

The coax will come from the distribution cabinet normally in the basement or cupboard in one of the communal hallways if a flat or straight to the street cabinet if a house

Kushan 17-02-2017 09:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJSADERS (Post 35886101)
From my experience with new builds there usually is either 2 setups...

If it is a house under the stairs there is a double blanking plate with all the wires behind if it's a flat usually this is in the airing cupboard.

The coax will come from the distribution cabinet normally in the basement or cupboard in one of the communal hallways if a flat or straight to the street cabinet if a house

It's a house and I did look under the stairs, but there wasn't anything there. There is a second cupboard upstairs though, which I didn't look in - could be there.

weesteev 17-02-2017 12:28

We don't wire Ethernet. The branded sockets you would have seen are either just a blanking plate or an angled F connector in a Euro Module panel. We only fit RG6 coaxial cable in New Build properties. We do recommend that developers fit Ethernet but that's at their own cost and expertise.

Regardless of whether its an FTTP or HFC build, the internal wiring is still coaxial.

HTH

BenMcr 17-02-2017 13:43

And handily, you can see that on this site here

http://www.virginmedia.com/lightning...rty-developers

There is a PDF which details exactly how Virgin Media recommend installation in a new build :)

Synthetic 17-02-2017 14:13

Shame no one took any notice of that when they were doing my building haha!

Kushan 17-02-2017 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35886270)
And handily, you can see that on this site here

http://www.virginmedia.com/lightning...rty-developers

There is a PDF which details exactly how Virgin Media recommend installation in a new build :)

I found this before, but it may as well have been greek to me! Haha.

Quote:

Originally Posted by weesteev (Post 35886259)
We don't wire Ethernet. The branded sockets you would have seen are either just a blanking plate or an angled F connector in a Euro Module panel. We only fit RG6 coaxial cable in New Build properties. We do recommend that developers fit Ethernet but that's at their own cost and expertise.

Regardless of whether its an FTTP or HFC build, the internal wiring is still coaxial.

HTH

Okay, that does make sense! I'll get another look at the place in a couple of weeks, I'll be sure to take pictures this time for those that are curious. I'm hoping it's FTTP, for future proofing.

Skie 17-02-2017 15:25

If its the show home then it's likely got every option under the sun. When you come to buy then you'll likely find ethernet is just another added option, most offer it these days. Some for an extortionate amount considering what it actually costs to put in during the build.

vm_tech 17-02-2017 15:27

The document that Ben linked shows a VM master socket module, maybe it's that you saw?

weesteev 17-02-2017 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kushan (Post 35886278)
I found this before, but it may as well have been greek to me! Haha.

Okay, that does make sense! I'll get another look at the place in a couple of weeks, I'll be sure to take pictures this time for those that are curious. I'm hoping it's FTTP, for future proofing.

Its not FTTP ;)

Also I made that developers guide :cool:

Onramp 17-02-2017 22:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by weesteev (Post 35886303)

Heh, I was going to say that but wasn't sure whether you would want people to know or not ;)

Kushan 20-02-2017 10:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by weesteev (Post 35886303)
Its not FTTP ;)

Oh cool, guess that's about as authoritative as you can get!