Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   General IT Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   ipad 2 (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33687285)

Mad Max 27-04-2012 00:42

ipad 2

May be wrong section , but anyway here goes, im thinking of getting my daughter the ipad 2 as a birthday present, but i'm amazed at the price difference between here and the States, the cheapest i can see here in good old rip off UK is about £320 ish, in the USA its about $399, which in our money is approx £250, how the hell do we have to pay approx £70 more than they do over there?
I know that Apple set the prices, so if a UK franchise goes below the UK price it could face embargo's, but how can Apple justify this when its on sale for so much cheaper in their own country?

Stuart 27-04-2012 01:09

Re: ipad 2

It doesn't make it right, but Apple are not the only company who do this. Most dp.

Hugh 27-04-2012 08:02

FYI, the banner price in the US doesn't include sales tax - I bought a 64GB version last month, and once sales tax wax added, it was only/still approx £80 cheaper.

Halcyon 27-04-2012 17:50

It is the same with the Kindle. We get ripped off on electronics here in the UK.

AndyCambs 27-04-2012 20:44

you could always get on a plane and import one, but overall it might just work out more expensive.... :)

Chris 27-04-2012 20:54

In part it's due to prices in the US generally being advertised exclusive of sales tax, which varies from state to state. In part you can blame the higher costs of doing business here (and therefore higher cost of finished products) due to the mountain of regulation and petty bureaucratic red tape imposed by the good old EU (though the British government isn't above blame in this respect either).

The business climate in the USA is simply better than it is here and consumers benefit from it. If you want to do something about that, consider voting UKIP next month. ;)

Hugh 27-04-2012 21:04

Also, VAT vs Sales Tax.

South Carolina - 7% Sales Tax
UK - 20% VAT

The difference of 12.5% of $699 (64GB wifi iPad3) is approx $87, or £54...

muppetman11 27-04-2012 23:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35420078)
South Carolina - 7% Sales Tax

Dependant on which county you purchase in , not all counties in the State of South Carolina have the same sales tax rate however I agree it's considerably cheaper than our 20%.

Hugh 28-04-2012 00:32

Richland..

tbf, the max differential is 2% (6 - 8%).

Osem 28-04-2012 11:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35419749)
May be wrong section , but anyway here goes, im thinking of getting my daughter the ipad 2 as a birthday present, but i'm amazed at the price difference between here and the States, the cheapest i can see here in good old rip off UK is about £320 ish, in the USA its about $399, which in our money is approx £250, how the hell do we have to pay approx £70 more than they do over there?
I know that Apple set the prices, so if a UK franchise goes below the UK price it could face embargo's, but how can Apple justify this when its on sale for so much cheaper in their own country?

If so many people here are queueing up to buy Apple's 'premium priced' offerings why would they discount them? They're not acting illegally and aren't a charity, as their share price and sales/profit figures will testify. If people stopped buying the stuff they'd reduce the price but that isn't going to happen any time soon. Clearly plenty of people are willing to spend their hard earned (or otherwise obtained) cash to join the Apple fan club in spite of all the financial doom and gloom.

Maggy 28-04-2012 11:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halcyon (Post 35419967)
It is the same with the Kindle. We get ripped off on electronics here in the UK.

I'd say the Kindle is still better value for the money if only for the amount of money you save on books.As for Apple products I'll pass.I'd rather find something that is better value for the money and does the same things.

Osem 28-04-2012 12:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35420194)
I'd say the Kindle is still better value for the money if only for the amount of money you save on books.As for Apple products I'll pass.I'd rather find something that is better value for the money and does the same things.

Me too - the style factor doesn't interest me in the slightest and for my needs the extra functionailty/build quality (if there is any) isn't worth the price premium and the restrictions that dealing with Apple inevitably involves. Android and PC for me every time.

danielf 28-04-2012 12:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35419756)
It doesn't make it right, but Apple are not the only company who do this. Most dp.

It's not only not right, it's illegal.

Osem 28-04-2012 12:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by danielf (Post 35420212)
It's not only not right, it's illegal.

If they were doing something illegal wouldn't their competitors, consumer groups, the EU etc. etc. be taking legal action? I mean it's not as though Apple is short of enemies and competitors is it. :confused:

danielf 28-04-2012 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35420216)
If they were doing something illegal wouldn't their competitors, consumer groups, the EU etc. etc. be taking legal action? I mean it's not as though Apple is short of enemies and competitors is it. :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_fixing

Quote:

British competition law prohibits almost any attempt to fix prices.[11]
The Net Book Agreement was a public agreement between UK booksellers from 1900 to 1991 to sell new books only at the recommended retail price to protect the revenues of smaller bookshops. The agreement collapsed in 1991 when the large book chain Dillons began discounting books, followed by rival Waterstones.[12][13]
However, price-fixing is still legal in the magazine and newspaper distribution industry. Retailers who sell at below cover price are subject to withdrawal of supply. The Office of Fair Trading has given its approval to the status quo.
Magazine and newspaper trade aside, it is illegal for a manufacturer to demand a product be sold for a minimum price.