Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   TiVo : Dumped VM TV - Can keep the box, but what for? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704634)

NoCableForMe 18-03-2017 10:54

Dumped VM TV - Can keep the box, but what for?

I dumped VM TV and a few days ago I got an email from Virgin saying I did not need to return the box, guess it's more hassle for them to recycle it.

Is the box good for anything else? Or just a a brick?

I was going to just to open it for the hard disk as a spare but I see I need a special type of screwdriver.

Ken W 18-03-2017 13:43

Re: Dumped VM TV - Can keep the box, but what for?

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoCableForMe (Post 35890571)
I dumped VM TV and a few days ago I got an email from Virgin saying I did not need to return the box, guess it's more hassle for them to recycle it.

I was going to just to open it for the hard disk as a spare but I see I need a special type of screwdriver.

It will make a good door stop. :D

RichardCoulter 18-03-2017 16:34

Quote:

I'm surprised that they don't want a TiVo back.

OLD BOY 18-03-2017 21:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35890627)
I'm surprised that they don't want a TiVo back.

It's so last decade, Richard.

theone2k10 18-03-2017 22:57

Quote:

Be careful as vm are sly and may still ask for box back, wait a couple of months first before attempting anything.

nodrogd 18-03-2017 23:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35890663)
Be careful as vm are sly and may still ask for box back, wait a couple of months first before attempting anything.

It depends what box it is the OP has. I think the 1TB boxes are still return items.

RichardCoulter 19-03-2017 04:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35890663)

Sound advice. They told me that they didn't want my old V+ back when I switched to a TiVo.

I then received an abrupt text saying that they hadn't received their equipment back and that they would be passing it to their collections department!

Luckily I still had it, but insisted that they picked it up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodrogd (Post 35890672)
It depends what box it is the OP has. I think the 1TB boxes are still return items.

Given that they were creating over a V+ box in March 2016, i'm genuinely surprised to find out that they don't want some of their TiVo boxes back.

After introducing Nagra 3, they also said that every box would be collected as this had contributed to piracy.

theone2k10 19-03-2017 11:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodrogd (Post 35890672)

Still better to wait a bit before salvaging hard drive just to be on safe side.
BT are funny ask you to pay £65 for box then ask you to send it back lol.

NoCableForMe 19-03-2017 12:54

I have it in writing, branded email. I'll stick in the loft for a few months though to be on the safe site

Virgin Media
Hello,

Just to let you know, you don't need to send your disconnected equipment back to us.

I was told I'd be charged if I didn't return my equipment

Don't worry – you won't be charged a penny. We might have told you about charges for unreturned equipment, but these no longer apply to you.

What should I do with the equipment?

You can either keep hold of it – in case you want to join Virgin Media again – or recycle it. You can find your nearest recycling centre at www.recycle-more.co.uk

Kind regards,

The Virgin Media team

Maggy 19-03-2017 14:16

When I asked Retentions about returning my V+ I was told to take it to a recycling centre. I suspect that VM find it cheaper to get the customer to do this rather than have a whole department to deal with returned equipment.

RichardCoulter 19-03-2017 19:50

Didn't know you'd changed over Maggie. Were you forced to change? How are you finding your TiVo (or V6)?

admars 19-03-2017 21:20

I've not had to return the 2 V+ boxes I've had in the last year, the Hard disks that were in them seem to be fine though :)

RichardCoulter 20-03-2017 13:31

Unless it's changed, there's only one brand that they want back and another that they don't.

The brands are SA and Samsung, can't remember which they wanted back though!

Unless this has changed???

BenMcr 20-03-2017 13:44

Neither V+ HD is required to be returned now. Nor the V HD.

The boxes that VM want back are the TiVo boxes, the V6 and the Hub 3.0 - unless you're notified otherwise.

OLD BOY 20-03-2017 13:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35890853)
Neither V+ HD is required to be returned now. Nor the V HD.

The boxes that VM want back are the TiVo boxes, the V6 and the Hub 3.0 - unless you're notified otherwise.

The technician who installed my two V6s took away my old Tivo as well as my V HD box.