Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Science & Technology (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   IPod thru amp (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33687653)

Clarkvcr 14-05-2012 19:12

IPod thru amp

Hi, I have an (old) Rotel RA920A seperate amplifier and have tried to play my iPod through it using a 3.5mm to twin RCA (red & white) cable. Doesn't work. General thoughts are it should. I was wondering if my amp was too old. Any thoughts.
Cheers

Halcyon 14-05-2012 19:22

Re: IPod thru amp

It should work. What ports are you plugging the left and right cables into on the amp?
Any that are labelled Aux, Line In, or CD should work fine.
I take it you have selected the correct input on the amp.

jempalmer 14-05-2012 19:23

A quick google seems to indicate that it's a preamp, not an amp. I may be wrong but I'm cooking and browsing at the same time :)

---------- Post added at 19:23 ---------- Previous post was at 19:22 ----------

Sorry

Clarkvcr 14-05-2012 19:27

Mis info.....it's an integrated amp Rotel RA920AX

---------- Post added at 19:27 ---------- Previous post was at 19:25 ----------

Have tried them in the correct ports....I'm wondering if it was a dodgy cable (borrowed from workmate). I think I'll try a new cable: not expensive

Halcyon 14-05-2012 19:27

Also make sure the volume on the Ipod is on full.

Clarkvcr 14-05-2012 19:31

Thanks just now.....nipping out to buy new cable...will post result. Cheers

Clarkvcr 15-05-2012 19:42

Got a new cable..tried it in the AUX and it was crackly with loss of sound....tried it in the CD input and it works fine.....can't explain it. Not unless the amps like me...done. It was purchased in 1993. Don't think the sound is that great though but it will do if friends are in. I'm with Neil Young when it comes to digital sound.....I think you have to pay a lot of £s to get good reproduction. I'm seriously thinking about getting my Ariston Q Deck down from the attic. Thanks for replys.

danielf 15-05-2012 20:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarkvcr (Post 35428494)
Got a new cable..tried it in the AUX and it was crackly with loss of sound....tried it in the CD input and it works fine.....can't explain it. Not unless the amps like me...done. It was purchased in 1993. Don't think the sound is that great though but it will do if friends are in. I'm with Neil Young when it comes to digital sound.....I think you have to pay a lot of £s to get good reproduction. I'm seriously thinking about getting my Ariston Q Deck down from the attic. Thanks for replys.

What format are the files you are playing? Low bitrate MP3s on a decent amp and speakers will still sound crap...

Clarkvcr 15-05-2012 22:14

Think you've hit the nail on the head danielf.......to be honest this is a bit of a stop gap......came about because my old Aiwa cd player is acting up. It's as old as the amp!......new heating system and diy looming......after that I think I'll treat myself to some new equipment. (if I've any money left!) Cheers