Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   General IT Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   firefox won't start (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33654180)

martyh 16-08-2009 13:22

firefox won't start

my son's acer laptop won't open firefox .It was working fine yesterday but has refused to start i keep on getting "fiefox has stopped working" message with no solutions .I have uninstalled and re-installed using I.E.that works with no problems ,any one got any ideas

webcrawler2050 16-08-2009 13:37

Re: firefox won't start

Ctrl + Alt + Delete - Task Manager =-

Processes - look for "firefox.exe" and click on it and then click "end process"

martyh 16-08-2009 13:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by webcrawler2050 (Post 34855272)
Ctrl + Alt + Delete - Task Manager =-

Processes - look for "firefox.exe" and click on it and then click "end process"

i think you have misunderstood it won't start ,i don't have a problem stopping it

webcrawler2050 16-08-2009 13:44

Thats the point, sometimes, if things wont start, theres a build up in the services..

joglynne 16-08-2009 13:51

Have you tried starting it in firefox safe mode and working through the options listed there?

Add...knew I had read about this some where when I was trying to work out the same problem. Found the link.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_-_Firefox

martyh 16-08-2009 14:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by joglynne (Post 34855282)
Have you tried starting it in firefox safe mode and working through the options listed there?

Add...knew I had read about this some where when I was trying to work out the same problem. Found the link.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_-_Firefox

tried starting in safe mode with networking but it still won't start so i can't access any of the settings which should be default as it is a fresh install

webcrawler2050 16-08-2009 14:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 34855292)
tried starting in safe mode with networking but it still won't start so i can't access any of the settings which should be default as it is a fresh install

Have you started Firefox in safe mode? Or the PC?

martyh 16-08-2009 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by webcrawler2050 (Post 34855294)
Have you started Firefox in safe mode? Or the PC?

both to no effect

got it stated in safe mode all the settings are default ,as expected but still cannot open web pages when used out of safe mode it won't even open google

---------- Post added at 14:48 ---------- Previous post was at 14:32 ----------

thanks for you help guys got it sorted i managed to get in and restore all defaults and disable the addons

joglynne 16-08-2009 14:49

Could you try making a 2nd profile which will be completely clean? This is what I ended up doing, I still shudder when I remember having to use that scary black screen thingy, and luckily for me it worked

ADD.... just seen your post. Glad you got it sorted. :tu:

martyh 16-08-2009 16:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by joglynne (Post 34855323)
Could you try making a 2nd profile which will be completely clean? This is what I ended up doing, I still shudder when I remember having to use that scary black screen thingy, and luckily for me it worked

ADD.... just seen your post. Glad you got it sorted. :tu:

thanks, don't know how long it will last though ,remember this was my teenage sons lappy ,after i got firefox fixed i decided to scan for malware and found 272 infections ,the firewall was turned off because his friend told him it slows the laptop down as was avast for the same reason

what can you do:shrug:

SnoopZ 16-08-2009 16:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 34855373)
thanks, don't know how long it will last though ,remember this was my teenage sons lappy ,after i got firefox fixed i decided to scan for malware and found 272 infections ,the firewall was turned off because his friend told him it slows the laptop down as was avast for the same reason

what can you do:shrug:

Shoot his friend... :D

xpod 16-08-2009 16:25

Quote:

what can you do
I dont know whether it`s an option but considering the above i would probably re-install that machine from scratch.....in fact,no probably about it.:)

martyh 16-08-2009 16:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by xpod (Post 34855377)
I dont know whether it`s an option but considering the above i would probably re-install that machine from scratch.....in fact,no probably about it.:)

yeah i was going to do that but then thought why the hell should i waste my sunday messing on with his machine when he can't be bothered and doesn't listen to me anyway ,so the next time he loses connection during a vital sesion on face book or msn ..tough he can sort it out himself

joglynne 16-08-2009 17:22

I'm probably the least savvy person who attempts to help on these threads so this is very likely not possible but, if you made yourself the administrator on his machine could you make his AV and/or firewall only changeable by you?

Sorry if it's not possible but my son did something that used to tell me off if I tried to change some settings on my computer when he didn't trust me not to fiddle. :( A couple of slaps around his knee caps and he changed the settings. Now he just sighs a lot when he sees what I get up to. :D

Ben B 16-08-2009 17:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by joglynne (Post 34855409)
I'm probably the least savvy person who attempts to help on these threads so this is very likely not possible but, if you made yourself the administrator on his machine could you make his AV and/or firewall only changeable by you?

Sorry if it's not possible but my son did something that used to tell me off if I tried to change some settings on my computer when he didn't trust me not to fiddle. :( A couple of slaps around his knee caps and he changed the settings. Now he just sighs a lot when he sees what I get up to. :D

Ah yes, make a new password protective administrator account and make the other account a limited account, that should sort it out :D