Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Supermarket own brands (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705780)

Gavin78 05-12-2017 13:55

Supermarket own brands

Am I the only one lately that has been walking around Asda as an example finding it harder to get branded products in favour of own brands?

I've noticed my local Asda lately the shelves are full of things like smart price beans, asda beans, reduced salt beans, premium beans etc all asdas own brand. even the fresh meats are asdas own mainly.

Not that I am fussed about using some of the asda stuff it's just I've noticed that the other branded makes are getting less and less in favour of their own foods?

denphone 05-12-2017 13:59

Re: Supermarket own brands

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin78 (Post 35927560)
Am I the only one lately that has been walking around Asda as an example finding it harder to get branded products in favour of own brands?

I've noticed my local Asda lately the shelves are full of things like smart price beans, asda beans, reduced salt beans, premium beans etc all asdas own brand. even the fresh meats are asdas own mainly.

Not that I am fussed about using some of the asda stuff it's just I've noticed that the other branded makes are getting less and less in favour of their own foods?

The reason as to why is because a majority of their customers are from a certain demographic and that is where a significant core of their sales and profits come from as their own branded goods are significantly cheaper then the big brand names..

oliver1948uk 05-12-2017 14:12

Have been enjoying Asda brand food for years. If the big brands are on offer I will buy them but in general find them no nicer than Asda (or Tesco) own brands which I suspect in some cases are produced by the big brands makers.

As one example I find Asda gravy much easier to make without lumps than the more expensive Bisto

Taf 05-12-2017 14:49

Their Price Guarantee is based on branded goods, so perhaps by offering fewer of them they get out of having to price match so often?

heero_yuy 05-12-2017 15:13

I buy almost exclusiely the supermarkets own brands. There are a few notable exceptions like Heinz Mullagatawny soup which is peerless. I've found even the cheapie basic ranges are usually good enough when being cooked in chilli or pasta sauces. Why pay over 70p for branded tinned tomatoes? :spin:

I think also with the pressure on living standards that many people a looking at non-branded products to be able to get food on the table at a reasonable price.

Ken W 05-12-2017 16:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35927575)
I buy almost exclusiely the supermarkets own brands. There are a few notable exceptions like Heinz Mullagatawny soup which is peerless. I've found even the cheapie basic ranges are usually good enough when being cooked in chilli or pasta sauces. Why pay over 70p for branded tinned tomatoes? :spin:

I think also with the pressure on living standards that many people a looking at non-branded products to be able to get food on the table at a reasonable price.

I have bought Sainsburys own brands for many years and I have only found item which I did not like and Sainsburys say if I am not happy they will refund the price. They cannot be fairer than that.

Stephen 05-12-2017 17:22

Many people are switching to own brands now to save money and the quality of them is usually on par with branded items. Many of them are probably packaged or made in the same factories as well.

RichardCoulter 05-12-2017 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35927586)
Many people are switching to own brands now to save money and the quality of them is usually on par with branded items. Many of them are probably packaged or made in the same factories as well.

Yep, people might find these links helpful:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?clie....0.UETBn4-yhps

007stuart 05-12-2017 22:09

Personally I find Waitrose own brands are far superior to branded versions. The quality is second to none and as much appreciated bonus the store and the car park are much less busy.

Apparently other supermarket chains have terribly long queues which just takes forever to move, whereas my Waitrose has always someone ready to jump onto a till when there's even a hint of a queue, This is an absolute must for one when time's money, don't you think?

I have tried their online shopping once and would you believe the person doing the picking substituted a non organic courgette rather than just say the organic one was out of stock, never again!!

And don't get me started on their free coffee offer, ever since they started to offer free coffee in my local store it has been like a bloody soup kitchen there.

Ken W 05-12-2017 22:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007stuart (Post 35927621)
Personally I find Waitrose own brands are far superior to branded versions. The quality is second to none and as much appreciated bonus the store and the car park are much less busy.

Apparently other supermarket chains have terribly long queues which just takes forever to move, whereas my Waitrose has always someone ready to jump onto a till when there's even a hint of a queue, This is an absolute must for one when time's money, don't you think?

I have tried their online shopping once and would you believe the person doing the picking substituted a non organic courgette rather than just say the organic one was out of stock, never again!!

And don't get me started on their free coffee offer, ever since they started to offer free coffee in my local store it has been like a bloody soup kitchen there.

How do you get Free coffee, I have a My Waitrose card.

denphone 06-12-2017 05:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken W (Post 35927622)
How do you get Free coffee, I have a My Waitrose card.

l think one has to spend a tenner Ken.

heero_yuy 06-12-2017 09:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35927639)
l think one has to spend a tenner Ken.

So one baking spud then. :D

denphone 06-12-2017 09:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35927650)
So one baking spud then. :D

Some stuff is expensive in there but their essentials range is very competitive with the other supermarkets.

MalteseFalcon 06-12-2017 11:35

Not so. You only have to purchase something for a minimum of a pound in Waitrose stores to get a free coffee. I know because whilst I don't work for Waitrose, I do spend a lot of the year in them counting the stores so get to know their policies well.

Maggy 06-12-2017 16:38

Asda's Smartprice chocolate is superior to Cadbury's or Nestle or any other branded chocolate manufacturers.