Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   General IT Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Reset dell to factory settings (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=49440)

funkyCable 03-07-2006 08:53

Reset dell to factory settings

hey

does anybody know how to reset a dell dimension 3100 to the factory settings?

Graham M 03-07-2006 09:03

Re: Reset dell to factory settings

Probably has/had restore CDs?

funkyCable 03-07-2006 09:10

nope it didnt. i think they loaded onto the HD as I had 10gigs used on my HD.

zing_deleted 03-07-2006 10:03

do you have a copy of xp? if so do a complete reinstall with new drivers.You dont really want all the branded pap do you ???

MadGamer 03-07-2006 10:35

I thought Dell gave branded XP CD's with all their machines?

Derek 03-07-2006 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadGamer
I thought Dell gave branded XP CD's with all their machines?

They stopped that for most machines about 6-9 months ago. Now you only get a CD if you order it during purchase or get an XPS system.
There is/was a way to restore before windows starts (F12 when you turn the system on rings a bell)

It does seem to be penny-pinching from Dell. What they do when hard drives fail and the customer has no XP disc is a mystery.

goblin 03-07-2006 11:03

I think you need to press "Ctrl + F11 or it maybe F7" during boot and it should give you a menu. Also, if you check your receipt, it will mention if you should have a copy of the OS. If so, call Tech Support in Ireland and tell them you would like them to send you the missing OS, plus the driver disks. If it doesn't mention anything about the OS disk and you are within the return period ie: 7 days, tell them its an incomplete system and you would like to return it. Otherwise, just ask Tech Support for the disks and they will in all likelihood give them to you.

Also, when you first booted your system, it should have given you the option to burn a copy of the disk. If it didn't report this to the Tech Support Department and they will probably send you a copy of the disk. If not, then use something like this http://www.petri.co.il/quickly_retri...ows_cd_key.htm to retrieve the key, then get hold of a copy of the OS disk doesn't matter from where, it can be borrowed from a friend or whatever but it needs to be the same flavour ie: Home or Proffessional and reinstall. Any problems, call Microsoft and tell them you recently replaced (NOT upgraded) your motherboard due to it crashing\fusing on you and they will give you a replacement key in exchange for the number on the tag at the bottom of the computer. If they don't, there is an automated system in place that will give you a replacement key.

HTH

funkyCable 04-07-2006 14:44

thanks i phoned them up told them I had misplaced my cds and they sending me them. even though i did not order them when i bought it. but i did not think of it like Dezzo says what happens if the HD goes them everthing is lost. Now i think I should of. I take it that I should be able to install a bigger HD with the CDs right?

Toto 04-07-2006 14:47

Dell now ship the O/S with a copy utility that you can run once on your PC. The utulity usually launches each time you reboot until you have made a copy of the O/S.

Acer have started to do this also.

funkyCable 04-07-2006 15:02

i thought this would have been the case when I got it however it did not say that it would create a disk it does have the system restore on the HD but like Dezzo says HD GOES BOOOOOM unlucky if your warrantie has expired.

Salu 04-07-2006 16:04

I think that XP is on a hidden partition that you access via CTRL F11 as someone else has said. I've done this before on a dimension. It takes you to a hidden menu and allows you to restore the PC to the state it was in when you first bought it. It takes about 10 mins. If you've used Norton Ghost before you'll be able to use this...

Toto 04-07-2006 16:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salu
I think that XP is on a hidden partition that you access via CTRL F11 as someone else has said. I've done this before on a dimension. It takes you to a hidden menu and allows you to restore the PC to the state it was in when you first bought it. It takes about 10 mins. If you've used Norton Ghost before you'll be able to use this...

I must try that :)

Shaun 04-07-2006 16:22

Get a copy of XP off the net and use the key stuck to the side of the unit to register it :)

funkyCable 04-07-2006 16:59

if i get the cds would i not be able to free up that adddition 10gig that they have hidden?

Toto 04-07-2006 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkyCable
if i get the cds would i not be able to free up that adddition 10gig that they have hidden?

In Theory yes,

BTW, that CTRL+F11 works, just rebooted and got it, despite the fact that I have made a copy of the o/s with the original copy utility....nice :tu: