Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Superhub : All hub3 users affected by confirmed latency issue (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704075)

roughbeast 03-02-2017 21:41

Re: All hub3 users affected by confirmed latency issue

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synthetic (Post 35875770)
Yeah, the jitter isn't brilliant to be honest, not sure if that's down to the SH3 or just VM's network

http://www.pingtest.net/result/156448078.png

Your bit of network probably.

http://www.pingtest.net/result/158712822.png

Kushan 06-02-2017 11:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travelstar (Post 35883765)
The silence on this issue is deafening. I can definitely see the problem myself so surprised there as been so few recent public announcements on the issue. Maybe Intel really have dropped the ball here?

I think the issue is overblown and most people won't notice any actual problems day to day. That's why you're not hearing about it.

Martin_D 21-02-2017 18:04

Here is an official ARRIS statement to this ongoing issue:

"Thank you for your ongoing feedback; your input has been valuable in helping characterize the impact of the issue. As you know, a beta patch was previously distributed in the field for testing (Just for usa) and to address the ping issue. Some of you have already received that. Going forward, this patch will be bundled with the TCP/UDP patch for a combined update and official code release. As you would expect, the TCP/UDP issue has been more challenging to develop a patch for. The good news is that Intel has now developed and issued a proposed firmware fix for the TCP/UDP issue; ARRIS is testing the latest firmware update and will roll it out to service providers as soon as testing is complete. "

SnoopZ 21-02-2017 18:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin_D (Post 35886887)
Here is an official ARRIS statement to this ongoing issue:

"Thank you for your ongoing feedback; your input has been valuable in helping characterize the impact of the issue. As you know, a beta patch was previously distributed in the field for testing (Just for usa) and to address the ping issue. Some of you have already received that. Going forward, this patch will be bundled with the TCP/UDP patch for a combined update and official code release. As you would expect, the TCP/UDP issue has been more challenging to develop a patch for. The good news is that Intel has now developed and issued a proposed firmware fix for the TCP/UDP issue; ARRIS is testing the latest firmware update and will roll it out to service providers as soon as testing is complete. "

Is this the reason we're seeing a huge amount of yellow on hour TBB monitors?

Paul 21-02-2017 23:02

I assume so, mines the same, not that I ever really notice any actual effect.

SnoopZ 21-02-2017 23:19

It doesn't seem to affect my connection either.

Synthetic 22-02-2017 07:51

Same. TBB graph looks awful but my actual ping is about 14ms to bbc etc so i'm in no rush for this to be rolled out.

Travelstar 22-02-2017 08:51

It affects VOIP traffic so I'm looking forward to this being rolled out. Personally I prefer low latency over speed. I'd happily take a half speed back age if I knew the latency was going to be low.

Synthetic 22-02-2017 09:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travelstar (Post 35886947)
It affects VOIP traffic so I'm looking forward to this being rolled out. Personally I prefer low latency over speed. I'd happily take a half speed back age if I knew the latency was going to be low.

Fair enough, I use EE's wifi calling on mine and I've not noticed any issues on , but I suppose other VoIP services might need more "stable" low latency to function properly.

Hub in modem mode with an Asus 1200G+.

rtho782 22-02-2017 09:53

I use VoIP as I don't have a landline, so just a Siemens Gigaset N300IP with DECT handsets.

I don't notice an issue at all, it's perfect.

Daveoc64 22-02-2017 12:44

It's quite difficult to identify that the issue is causing problems, so don't assume that you aren't affected. It took almost a year for people to identify the behaviour of the software that was causing the problem (well documented on DSLReports).

Every modem/router that uses the affected Intel chip suffers from the problem.

The problem results in some connections being held up. This means that a simple ping test or a test over a long period of time (like TBB graph) is unlikely to show it. But if you try going to a web site, and the DNS lookup for that request is held up, your site will take longer to load.

If you're playing a game and one of your packets is held up, your game might be interrupted at a key time.

rtho782 22-02-2017 13:55

I get that every SH3 has this issue, I'm just saying I haven't noticed any symptoms, and that VoIP works fine.

Gobble 23-02-2017 09:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtho782 (Post 35887005)
I get that every SH3 has this issue, I'm just saying I haven't noticed any symptoms, and that VoIP works fine.

VOIP despite what a lot of people think can handle jitter (hence the buffer). Obviously if it starts getting stupid and/or a lot of packet loss is present, then that changes things.

Travelstar 25-02-2017 14:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gobble (Post 35887135)
VOIP despite what a lot of people think can handle jitter (hence the buffer). Obviously if it starts getting stupid and/or a lot of packet loss is present, then that changes things.

Packet loss is something that sadly I appear to often see. Therefore VOIP calls will appear choppy at times.

I have also noticed that downloads randomly fail, with often several attempts unable to complete the download. Added to which, streaming iPlayer, Netflix or Amazon sometimes also yields a failed stream which can be annoying, especially if you can't pick back up where you left off (very common with iPlayer).

All of the above are classic symptoms of packet loss.

FWIW, my power levels are again great (in the 1-2db range) and SNR above the levels where they cause problems (35.5-37.5db). Upstream is generally steady at 35db.