Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Superhub : All hub3 users affected by confirmed latency issue (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704075)

Bambamboyo 03-12-2016 10:27

All hub3 users affected by confirmed latency issue

Makes for some interesting reading!
Hopefully Virgin will issue a firmware update to fix this issue affecting everyone using a hub3

http://m.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/0..._firmware_fix/

Onramp 03-12-2016 11:28

Re: All hub3 users affected by confirmed latency issue

Ninja'd!

This might go a long way to resolve some of the problems people were reporting with jitter.

greeninferno 03-12-2016 11:48

honestly, what do they do with the results of these trials that they run?

just ignore them

absolutely ridiculous for a company of Virginmedia's size.

Paul 03-12-2016 16:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by greeninferno (Post 35873510)
absolutely ridiculous for a company of Virginmedia's size.

Um... How is an Intel chipset issue the fault of Virgin Media :confused:

alanbjames 03-12-2016 17:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35873558)

+ its not only Virgin Media who are affected there are other ISPs to.

nefu 03-12-2016 17:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35873558)

It's Virgins fault because this latency showed up in the trials, but they went ahead and issued the faulty kit anyway.

greeninferno 03-12-2016 20:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by nefu (Post 35873571)
It's Virgins fault because this latency showed up in the trials, but they went ahead and issued the faulty kit anyway.

exactly, that is the point of a trial.

same with those Tivos - ridiculously slow and released any way, total nonsense.

ileikcaek 04-12-2016 00:27

Great news that this is being fixed, it's really frustrating. I'm just hoping VM are fast at rolling out the fix in the new year.

Paul 04-12-2016 02:27

Quote:

No, its not Virgins fault at all, its Intels fault.

VM obviously decided that the vast majority of people really dont care that much about it, and its something they can fix it by rolling out the fix at some point.
As I keep having to point out to all the SH3 doom and gloom merchants, my service is running just fine, using this so called "faulty kit".

The purpose of a trial is to gather information, and then use that information to make decisions, and clearly they decided they could live with this issue for now.

mike86 04-12-2016 10:04

Finally! My latency went all over the place after getting a SH3.

Rexz 04-12-2016 10:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35873627)
No, its not Virgins fault at all, its Intels fault.

VM obviously decided that the vast majority of people really dont care that much about it, and its something they can fix it by rolling out the fix at some point.
As I keep having to point out to all the SH3 doom and gloom merchants, my service is running just fine, using this so called "faulty kit".

The purpose of a trial is to gather information, and then use that information to make decisions, and clearly they decided they could live with this issue for now.

Well it clearly is Virgin's fault then for brushing that issue under the carpet. If the problem was apparent and they knew about it then it comes down to Virgin.

If I own a fleet of vans and have purchased them knowing a horrifying issue with say vibration travelling at a speed and proceed to lease them out, who's fault is it? I couldn't just shrug and say it's not my fault, it's the manufacturers. I would end up losing business. I understand business decisions and sure they might have needed to these modems to progress further with their network upgrades, but you can't just wash your hand of problems that were in fact your own doing...

Stuart 04-12-2016 12:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rexz (Post 35873665)
Well it clearly is Virgin's fault then for brushing that issue under the carpet. If the problem was apparent and they knew about it then it comes down to Virgin.

If I own a fleet of vans and have purchased them knowing a horrifying issue with say vibration travelling at a speed and proceed to lease them out, who's fault is it? I couldn't just shrug and say it's not my fault, it's the manufacturers. I would end up losing business. I understand business decisions and sure they might have needed to these modems to progress further with their network upgrades, but you can't just wash your hand of problems that were in fact your own doing...

Would you delay the introduction of the vans knowing that the vibration would irritate one group of users, but also knowing that (say) changes made in the engine would allow greater speed for most users? Would you delay the introduction introduction knowing that delaying it would also delay upgrades done elsewhere that benefit other users (how would it look if Virgin did an upgrade that caused further problems in this chipset?). Assuming they were aware of the problem, Virgin would have analysed the situation, and would have worked out whether the benefits of the new box outwieghed the costs (the problems caused by the chipset software being one).

Do I think Virgin is responsible for the problems with the chipset software?No. Do I think they are responsible for ensuring any fix is properly tested and distributed to their users? Yes.

The Installer 04-12-2016 15:37

Delay? Why?

Are you telling me that all the other modem manufactures also use the same chip sets in their kit too?

The same would apply for the van's, you'd just go and buy a vehicle from a different manufacturer, simple. And if you are having enough of a certain product, much like VM having modems, you can haggle with the cost too. So yes, if VM were aware of the problem, then either they couldn't be bothered to look at what other kit was on the market, or they have got the current SH3's so cheap that no one else comes close price wise, but you also get what you pay for in life too...

Paul 04-12-2016 18:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rexz (Post 35873665)
Well it clearly is Virgin's fault then for brushing that issue under the carpet.

The only two things clear are its an Intel chip fault, and your desire to blame Virgin for everything.

---------- Post added at 18:14 ---------- Previous post was at 18:09 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Installer (Post 35873706)
Are you telling me that all the other modem manufactures also use the same chip sets in their kit too?

All ? I doubt it, but as the very first line says ;
Quote:

Intel's Puma 6 chipset, used in gigabit broadband modems around the world
(i.e. Comcast, Arris, and other un-named providers).

There are plenty of screw ups made by VM, but this isnt one of them, its Intels fault, no one else.

Bambamboyo 04-12-2016 18:32

There is more being discussed on this issue over on the virgin community forum which gives more detail and makes for some interesting reading. :rolleyes:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...e/td-p/3271492

sollp 04-12-2016 20:15

Quote:

The equipment isn't faulty, it's software that isn't correct. Read the article and you will see Intel are rolling out fix.

nallar 04-12-2016 23:03

Seeing inconsistent latencies with a Hub 3 here, on 12 down 2 up (16 QAM).

CMTS:
https://smokeping.allan.scot/cache/T/CMTS_last_3600.png
google.co.uk:
https://smokeping.allan.scot/cache/T..._last_3600.png

The big spikes to the CMTS every ~15 minutes may be a separate problem as they don't affect traffic to further away hosts. Not sure what would be causing that. If it matters the CMTS mac vendor is RiverDelta Networks.

ccarmock 05-12-2016 21:49

I have the Hitron from Virgin Media business, which reportedly uses the same Intel chipset as the Hub3, so suffers the same latency problem, yet the TBB graph appears cleaner:-

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2016/12/21.png

2pence 07-12-2016 16:08

So guys, is this why my pings from my PC <> cat5 cable <> Hub 3.0 are 4-5ms?

Bambamboyo 08-12-2016 17:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2pence (Post 35874375)

In a word, yes

---------- Post added at 17:17 ---------- Previous post was at 17:15 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccarmock (Post 35873911)
I have the Hitron from Virgin Media business, which reportedly uses the same Intel chipset as the Hub3, so suffers the same latency problem, yet the TBB graph appears cleaner:-

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/s...05-12-2016.png

I think possibly the more bonded channels your modem is locked on to, the worse it is. I am on 20 down / 4 up. My BQM looks much noisier than your chart. How many are you on?

The PIT 08-12-2016 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by sollp (Post 35873745)
The equipment isn't faulty, it's software that isn't correct. Read the article and you will see Intel are rolling out fix.

I think you should. Yes it is faulty because if it's not working as the way it should. That's why Intel is rolling out a fix.

sollp 09-12-2016 15:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by The PIT (Post 35874649)
I think you should. Yes it is faulty because if it's not working as the way it should. That's why Intel is rolling out a fix.

No its a software issue, not faulty equipment. Quite a difference if the equipment is FAULTY then it would need replacing. As most electrical goods that run off a CPU would need replacing every time a software upgrade is needed.

Travelstar 09-12-2016 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2pence (Post 35874375)

I have to admit I never even thought to look at ping times on what is effectively my local network and yes, like you I have between 4ms and 7ms for 192.168.100.1 which is poor to say the least. Seems this issue causes issues on both sides of the network.

ccarmock 09-12-2016 22:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambamboyo (Post 35874600)
In a word, yes

---------- Post added at 17:17 ---------- Previous post was at 17:15 ----------

I think possibly the more bonded channels your modem is locked on to, the worse it is. I am on 20 down / 4 up. My BQM looks much noisier than your chart. How many are you on?

You could be right - I am still on 12 downstream channels and 2 up

Cromulent 13-12-2016 15:15

I just signed up for VM Vivid 200 Gamer broadband and now I'm worried about the ping based on this article. I do a lot of streaming to Twitch TV and I specifically chose that package because it doesn't have any upload traffic management. So yeah online gaming and streaming are really important to me.

I actually cancelled VM about 3 months ago to switch to Sky Broadband and the experience has been dreadful. I never had any problems with VM broadband but as soon as I switched to Sky I had constant disconnects and I never got the speed I was advertised. So I signed back up with VM and I'm having it installed on Thursday. I just really need a stable internet connection. So fingers crossed this isn't going to cause me any problems.

Synthetic 13-12-2016 16:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cromulent (Post 35875578)
I just signed up for VM Vivid 200 Gamer broadband and now I'm worried about the ping based on this article. I do a lot of streaming to Twitch TV and I specifically chose that package because it doesn't have any upload traffic management. So yeah online gaming and streaming are really important to me.

I actually cancelled VM about 3 months ago to switch to Sky Broadband and the experience has been dreadful. I never had any problems with VM broadband but as soon as I switched to Sky I had constant disconnects and I never got the speed I was advertised. So I signed back up with VM and I'm having it installed on Thursday. I just really need a stable internet connection. So fingers crossed this isn't going to cause me any problems.

Ping won't affect your upload speed to Twitch, it might however cause issues with games themselves if the ping is too high.

RB2004 13-12-2016 17:14

hardware wise, is there any difference between the black hub 3s and the white ones? aside from different coloured casing?

vincerooney 13-12-2016 21:01

They've just issued out a new superhub for me in preparation for increased speeds as im on superhub 1 at the moment.

Is superhub 3 the one with all the issues? Should i not install it for a few months then...?

Kushan 13-12-2016 21:41

No more issues than the SH1 has.

vincerooney 13-12-2016 22:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kushan (Post 35875661)
No more issues than the SH1 has.

ah i see! had mine for years so might be a nice change...

ileikcaek 14-12-2016 04:53

From what I have seen regarding the Puma 7 modems that have started to trickle out, the problem isn't on those.

We'll probably be waiting a while for VM to roll out a fix for the Hub 3, if there ever actually is one and even a lot longer still for a Hub 4 with Puma 7 inside.

Cromulent 14-12-2016 08:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synthetic (Post 35875585)
Ping won't affect your upload speed to Twitch, it might however cause issues with games themselves if the ping is too high.

Hmm. I have to admit that this is worrying me somewhat. I need decent ping times to play MMOs while I am Twitch streaming. Do you think I could ask for a SH2 instead of a SH3 when the guy comes round to install my broadband?

Synthetic 14-12-2016 10:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cromulent (Post 35875705)
Hmm. I have to admit that this is worrying me somewhat. I need decent ping times to play MMOs while I am Twitch streaming. Do you think I could ask for a SH2 instead of a SH3 when the guy comes round to install my broadband?

Can certainly ask, depends on who you get and if he has any in the van I guess.

To be honest, I still get about 12ms to BBC on my gamer line, which to me is easily low enough for MMOs.

Cromulent 14-12-2016 10:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synthetic (Post 35875719)
Can certainly ask, depends on who you get and if he has any in the van I guess.

To be honest, I still get about 12ms to BBC on my gamer line, which to me is easily low enough for MMOs.

A 12ms ping would be absolutely fine for me. I just hope it doesn't go up to the 100ms ping range as that is when it starts getting noticeable. I guess I'll just see how it goes.

I'm sure VM will fix the issue at some point.

nallar 14-12-2016 11:00

Average ping isn't the problem - it's increased slightly but not enough to matter for most people.

The problem is the jitter, packet loss, and out of order packets.

Cromulent 14-12-2016 11:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by nallar (Post 35875728)
Average ping isn't the problem - it's increased slightly but not enough to matter for most people.

The problem is the jitter, packet loss, and out of order packets.

Ah. OK. Well that having packet loss and jitter doesn't sound too good either. I'm not sure what to do now. I selected the broadband package I did because I really want to get into Twitch streaming in a more serious way and now I'm worried that the jitter and packet loss will cause problems for me. I'll see if I can get a SH2. Seems like the only reasonable solution to the problem.

Edit: Re-read the article.

Edit: Just read the VM forum posts on the issue and people are saying if you put the SH3 in modem only mode it fixes the issue somewhat? I've got a spare router I can use so I might just install that and hope for the best.

Final Edit: OK on further reading if that doesn't help. So I guess I just have to hope that the engineer has a spare SH2 in the van.

Synthetic 14-12-2016 14:09

Yeah, the jitter isn't brilliant to be honest, not sure if that's down to the SH3 or just VM's network

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2016/12/4.png

Cromulent 15-12-2016 14:33

Well I got my Virgin Media broadband installed today. Went a lot smoother than expected. I did ask about a SH2 but he said he only had SH3 available. So with a bit of worry I accepted it. When he left I plugged my computer in via ethernet and did a speedtest which was very fast and I was quite impressed with it. Did a ping test and got 2ms of jitter which isn't the worst.

So then I did an hour long Twitch stream to make sure everything was working properly and it went perfectly. I'm actually really happy with my broadband now. I haven't seen any problems so far. Much better than my old broadband which was giving me problems left, right and centre.

Let's just hope it continues that way. I'll be doing more testing over the next few days to make sure everything is OK.

nallar 15-12-2016 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cromulent (Post 35875909)
Did a ping test and got 2ms of jitter which isn't the worst.

Are you sure you have a hub 3? :confused: Can we do a swap?!

http://www.dslreports.com/tools/puma6

Mr K 15-12-2016 16:30

Upgrade to as an SH2AC, never missed a beat for me. New versions of anything from VM always have problems.

Travelstar 12-01-2017 09:17

Any updates on this issue?

It's also worth looking at this thread:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r310...Linear-mistake

Martin_D 12-01-2017 09:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travelstar (Post 35880250)
Any updates on this issue?

It's also worth looking at this thread:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r310...Linear-mistake

Arris are still awaiting Intel fix (it's unknown even if this problem is fixable)

Cromulent 18-01-2017 08:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin_D (Post 35880252)
Arris are still awaiting Intel fix (it's unknown even if this problem is fixable)

It better be fixable :).

Travelstar 03-02-2017 11:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cromulent (Post 35881095)
It better be fixable :).

The silence on this issue is deafening. I can definitely see the problem myself so surprised there as been so few recent public announcements on the issue. Maybe Intel really have dropped the ball here?

Daz555 03-02-2017 12:14

The engineer who installed my V6 yesterday tried to take away my SH2ac and swap it for a SH3.....it's a shame he had to die.... ;-)

roughbeast 03-02-2017 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synthetic (Post 35875770)
Yeah, the jitter isn't brilliant to be honest, not sure if that's down to the SH3 or just VM's network

http://www.pingtest.net/result/156448078.png

Your bit of network probably.

http://www.pingtest.net/result/158712822.png

Kushan 06-02-2017 11:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travelstar (Post 35883765)
The silence on this issue is deafening. I can definitely see the problem myself so surprised there as been so few recent public announcements on the issue. Maybe Intel really have dropped the ball here?

I think the issue is overblown and most people won't notice any actual problems day to day. That's why you're not hearing about it.

Martin_D 21-02-2017 18:04

Here is an official ARRIS statement to this ongoing issue:

"Thank you for your ongoing feedback; your input has been valuable in helping characterize the impact of the issue. As you know, a beta patch was previously distributed in the field for testing (Just for usa) and to address the ping issue. Some of you have already received that. Going forward, this patch will be bundled with the TCP/UDP patch for a combined update and official code release. As you would expect, the TCP/UDP issue has been more challenging to develop a patch for. The good news is that Intel has now developed and issued a proposed firmware fix for the TCP/UDP issue; ARRIS is testing the latest firmware update and will roll it out to service providers as soon as testing is complete. "

SnoopZ 21-02-2017 18:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin_D (Post 35886887)
Here is an official ARRIS statement to this ongoing issue:

"Thank you for your ongoing feedback; your input has been valuable in helping characterize the impact of the issue. As you know, a beta patch was previously distributed in the field for testing (Just for usa) and to address the ping issue. Some of you have already received that. Going forward, this patch will be bundled with the TCP/UDP patch for a combined update and official code release. As you would expect, the TCP/UDP issue has been more challenging to develop a patch for. The good news is that Intel has now developed and issued a proposed firmware fix for the TCP/UDP issue; ARRIS is testing the latest firmware update and will roll it out to service providers as soon as testing is complete. "

Is this the reason we're seeing a huge amount of yellow on hour TBB monitors?

Paul 21-02-2017 23:02

I assume so, mines the same, not that I ever really notice any actual effect.

SnoopZ 21-02-2017 23:19

It doesn't seem to affect my connection either.

Synthetic 22-02-2017 07:51

Same. TBB graph looks awful but my actual ping is about 14ms to bbc etc so i'm in no rush for this to be rolled out.

Travelstar 22-02-2017 08:51

It affects VOIP traffic so I'm looking forward to this being rolled out. Personally I prefer low latency over speed. I'd happily take a half speed back age if I knew the latency was going to be low.

Synthetic 22-02-2017 09:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travelstar (Post 35886947)
It affects VOIP traffic so I'm looking forward to this being rolled out. Personally I prefer low latency over speed. I'd happily take a half speed back age if I knew the latency was going to be low.

Fair enough, I use EE's wifi calling on mine and I've not noticed any issues on , but I suppose other VoIP services might need more "stable" low latency to function properly.

Hub in modem mode with an Asus 1200G+.

rtho782 22-02-2017 09:53

I use VoIP as I don't have a landline, so just a Siemens Gigaset N300IP with DECT handsets.

I don't notice an issue at all, it's perfect.

Daveoc64 22-02-2017 12:44

It's quite difficult to identify that the issue is causing problems, so don't assume that you aren't affected. It took almost a year for people to identify the behaviour of the software that was causing the problem (well documented on DSLReports).

Every modem/router that uses the affected Intel chip suffers from the problem.

The problem results in some connections being held up. This means that a simple ping test or a test over a long period of time (like TBB graph) is unlikely to show it. But if you try going to a web site, and the DNS lookup for that request is held up, your site will take longer to load.

If you're playing a game and one of your packets is held up, your game might be interrupted at a key time.

rtho782 22-02-2017 13:55

I get that every SH3 has this issue, I'm just saying I haven't noticed any symptoms, and that VoIP works fine.

Gobble 23-02-2017 09:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtho782 (Post 35887005)
I get that every SH3 has this issue, I'm just saying I haven't noticed any symptoms, and that VoIP works fine.

VOIP despite what a lot of people think can handle jitter (hence the buffer). Obviously if it starts getting stupid and/or a lot of packet loss is present, then that changes things.

Travelstar 25-02-2017 14:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gobble (Post 35887135)
VOIP despite what a lot of people think can handle jitter (hence the buffer). Obviously if it starts getting stupid and/or a lot of packet loss is present, then that changes things.

Packet loss is something that sadly I appear to often see. Therefore VOIP calls will appear choppy at times.

I have also noticed that downloads randomly fail, with often several attempts unable to complete the download. Added to which, streaming iPlayer, Netflix or Amazon sometimes also yields a failed stream which can be annoying, especially if you can't pick back up where you left off (very common with iPlayer).

All of the above are classic symptoms of packet loss.

FWIW, my power levels are again great (in the 1-2db range) and SNR above the levels where they cause problems (35.5-37.5db). Upstream is generally steady at 35db.