Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   300M : 300 Mb now connected. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33703305)

roughbeast 16-07-2016 11:08

300 Mb now connected.

I have just had my 300Mb upgrade. No problems to report. One -year contract with a slight price reduction.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2016/07/6.png

General Maximus 16-07-2016 17:49

Re: 300 Mb now connected.

sweet

Kushan 16-07-2016 21:37

Is that the Homeworks+ 300Mbit?

roughbeast 17-07-2016 15:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kushan (Post 35849995)
Is that the Homeworks+ 300Mbit?

Yes, Homeworks. I don't particularly require their home configuration / troubleshooting service, but F-Secure comes as part of the package. I have ended my previous 8-device subscription to that. So, overall I have gained a few bob.:)

heardd05 17-07-2016 20:05

how much did you pay in the end for the service david

Kushan 18-07-2016 12:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by roughbeast (Post 35850058)
Yes, Homeworks. I don't particularly require their home configuration / troubleshooting service, but F-Secure comes as part of the package. I have ended my previous 8-device subscription to that. So, overall I have gained a few bob.:)

Nice! I scored a 500 day trial of Eset security at a conference a while ago and have been happily using that. I did use F-secure before this (I think it came from Virgin) but was rather underwhelmed.

roughbeast 18-07-2016 19:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kushan (Post 35850152)
Nice! I scored a 500 day trial of Eset security at a conference a while ago and have been happily using that. I did use F-secure before this (I think it came from Virgin) but was rather underwhelmed.

F-Secure has served me well, in the sense that it has dealt with a variety of potential infections whilst using very little processor capacity.

F-secure comes out better in reviews. However, I do also run SpyHunter, (very very low on resources.) to deal with rootkits.

http://antivirus.softwareinsider.com...Smart-Security

We are getting a bit off topic now.

Thinking of Superhub 3, I have no issues with performance compared with SH2, but the TBB graph is a mess.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/s...18-07-2016.png

Having said that BufferBloat is better than on the 200Mb SH2. (B instead of C on DSL Reports.)

JoelTheSuperior 19-07-2016 09:30

Meanwhile here I am quite happy not using any AV software.

Some may say that's bad practice. They're probably right. That said on Windows you've got Windows Defender which seems to work rather well and on OS X Gatekeeper which I imagine most Mac users are happy with.

More on topic though, does the 300Mbps service offer some kind of SLA? If so I'd be more inclined to pay the extra and get a lovely speed bump out of it. Also that 20Mbps upload looks fantastic.

BenMcr 19-07-2016 09:47

HomeWorks + 300Mb is a residential service. So you get the same service and fault options as any other of the residential tiers.

Paul 19-07-2016 13:30

Shame they dont just provide it as a speed upgrade at a lower price, I have no interest in all the fancy add on services and software.

In fact, not really that bothered about 300M v 200M, but i'd love the higher upload, I store a lot of stuff in the cloud including the nightly backups of all my PCs, so a faster upload of that data would be nice.

jcm193 19-07-2016 13:42

I came off homeworks a few weeks ago as i didn't think it offered value for money, i did not actually realise we where paying £20 a month and not the £13.99 advertised on there website until we took it off.

I tried to take advantage of the f-secure security software but i was told that i did not qualify for it as i had previously used it free years ago

roughbeast 20-07-2016 06:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcm193 (Post 35850294)
I came off homeworks a few weeks ago as i didn't think it offered value for money, i did not actually realise we where paying £20 a month and not the £13.99 advertised on there website until we took it off.

I tried to take advantage of the f-secure security software but i was told that i did not qualify for it as i had previously used it free years ago

I had a good moan about that and got CS to admit that their Homeworks page didn't make it clear that previous beneficiaries of a 'free year' wouldn't get another free year. They agreed to contact F-secure who then let me start over as a new customer. It only save me £25 but was worth arguing in principle.

punkrock101 20-07-2016 08:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35850291)
Shame they dont just provide it as a speed upgrade at a lower price, I have no interest in all the fancy add on services and software.

In fact, not really that bothered about 300M v 200M, but i'd love the higher upload, I store a lot of stuff in the cloud including the nightly backups of all my PCs, so a faster upload of that data would be nice.

Exactly i was on chat to Virgin media yesterday about this and the best the could offer me was a small discount but on refection it I would end up still paying more than the advertised price. I don't need all the 24 hour IT support as i am capable of sorting any issues out with my computer myself and I personally don't trust anyone else poking around remotely into my system.

BenMcr 20-07-2016 12:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by roughbeast (Post 35850353)
I had a good moan about that and got CS to admit that their Homeworks page didn't make it clear that previous beneficiaries of a 'free year' wouldn't get another free year. They agreed to contact F-secure who then let me start over as a new customer. It only save me £25 but was worth arguing in principle.

I'm pretty sure that shouldn't have happened.

HomeWorks is a paid package and F-Secure is part of that subscription payment. So whether you've had it the inclusive year or not, if you pay for HomeWorks (with or without 300Mb) you should get the F-Secure element.

jcm193 20-07-2016 12:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35850370)
I'm pretty sure that shouldn't have happened.

HomeWorks is a paid package and F-Secure is part of that subscription payment. So whether you've had it the inclusive year or not, if you pay for HomeWorks (with or without 300Mb) you should get the F-Secure element.

That`s what i thought but the person i was speaking to at the time was having none its an expensive upgrade and not being able to take advantage of the f-secure product made it just a £20 a month speed upgrade