Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sony Games Systems (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Problem Hosting on call of duty. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33651608)

ooSemaoo 20-06-2009 01:52

Problem Hosting on call of duty.

ok im on 10mb virgin media and i cant host a game on call of duty, i use ethernet cable to connect to my ps3 so im on wired connection.

i was just wondering why cant i host on 10mb Vmedia yet my friend online has 8mb sky and he can host fine?

is there any settings i can change on my connection settings on my ps3 that would help?

ive also been browsing and i hear that people on 20mb Vmedia cant host either, any help with this would be appriciated as i am An addicted to online games :P

Whenever i get host of a lobby 5-10 seconds into the game it will end and i look at other players connections And it shows a red bar wich is bad.

MovedGoalPosts 20-06-2009 02:04

Re: Problem Hosting on call of duty.

Are you connected to your modem direct by ethernet, or are you connected via a router to your modem?

Hosting a game is always going to be difficult. The upload bandwidth (speed) is quite limited compared to the download. If you try and enable too many connections the upload will be overloaded. See if the game will work with only a few players, perhaps as low as four, then increase the numbers in small steps.

ooSemaoo 20-06-2009 03:44

i plug my ethernet cable into my Ps3 & plug other end into my wireless signal thinG? it says belkin on it? thats been done righT?

MovedGoalPosts 20-06-2009 12:25

To be able to host, you do need good clear bandwidth. Wireless often has a bit of an overhead so you loose some of the speed. You don't notice that for normal gaming but hosting pushes it over the edge.

Try a wired, rather than wireless connection to your router.

You may also need to check the settings on your router that means the console is not going to affected by any firewall built into the router, i.e. all the signals being sent to and from it are passed through rather than blocked. You might want to put the console in the DMZ?

Easy way to check if it is the router or wireless setup causing the issue would be to temporarily connect the console direct to the modem via ethernet, no router.

Jon T 20-06-2009 12:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob (Post 34817972)
Easy way to check if it is the router or wireless setup causing the issue would be to temporarily connect the console direct to the modem via ethernet, no router.

If you choose to do this, switch everything off first, including your cable modem, plug you PS3 directly into your modem, switch the modem back on and wait for the lights to stabilise, then switch your PS3 on.

Same thing to swap back to your original setup, do it with the cable modem turned off, and only switch everything back on after the cable modem is powered up and it's lights are stable.

ooSemaoo 21-06-2009 00:58

could it be my router that i plug my ethernat cable into? the belkin modem router thing, im sorry for calling it a thing as i dnt kno much about technical stuff, so maybe i should try a different (Wireless router modem)?

MovedGoalPosts 21-06-2009 02:23

You have a cable modem - the device that was supplied by Virgin Media (or it's predecessors).

You have your router - the Belkin thing

You then have your computer and gaming consoles.

To determine if in some way the router is the problem, turn off the power to everything modem, router, console, computers. Now unplug the router from the modem. Connect the game console direct by ethernet cable to the modem. The router and other computers must not be in use. Reboot the modem then turn on your console. Can you host now?

ooSemaoo 21-06-2009 06:43

tried it, No it didnt work. so ty for the help im going to try 20mb if the uploud speed is still to slow to host then im gna get bt landline and get Be isp as there not tight with uploud speeds like Vmedia.

ooSemaoo 03-07-2009 07:11

kk well getting 20mb today if it dont make a difference its back to 10mb, well it feels bad not being able to host with a 10mb connection when others can host with 8 and lower, must be Vmedia tight upload speeds..

i mean il be getting 20mb with .74mb upload speed wtf?
well i hope its enough to host if not then **** paying them for 20mb when other providers can get 1.5mb upload speeds for £17 per mongth im not gonna pay £35 a mongth for 1.5 upload speed, so it could be goodbye Vmedia if 20mb dnt mAKE A DIFFERENCE il let u know, soz for caps lock i couldnt be asked to delete it.

ooSemaoo 03-07-2009 16:54

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2009/07/90.png

ok i upgraded to 20mb ive gotten a better upload speed but wdf is going on with my download speed its worse then 10 wich is what i was on before..i mean wdf..