Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Superhub : Virgin Media, sold upgrade not informed of upload limit (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704652)

Gazid 22-03-2017 21:12

Virgin Media, sold upgrade not informed of upload limit

Hi all,

Feeling very angry with Virgin Media right now.
I recently upgraded my plan because I needed to increase my upload speed, so upgraded to 200/12 mbps.

I now find that the upload is monitored between 4-11pm and if the my upload reaches 2,250 mbts, they reduce it by 50% and if it reaches that again with that time period, they reduce it by a further 65%!

Now, I had 2 conversations with 2 different people at Virgin before upgrading who made no mention whatsoever of a limit. Having just now called them, they said 'it's in the terms and conditions' and simply wouldn't escalate the complaint to a manger as 'it's in the terms and conditions'.

To add insult to injury, when I upgraded, they told me one price, then tried to charge me more.

Pretty fuming right now. Any input or suggestions of what to do next appreciated.

nashville 22-03-2017 21:53

Re: Virgin Media, sold upgrade not informed of upload limit

Do not know much about your problem but I would be interested in what other people think !!?

General Maximus 23-03-2017 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazid (Post 35891291)
I recently upgraded my plan..........Pretty fuming right now. Any input or suggestions of what to do next appreciated.

As you mention it is an upgrade which means you was on a lower tier which was also subject to the same traffic management policies and % reduction in speeds. Increased upload speed just means you can upload more per hour before you hit the threshold and the management takes effect. Although the policy is in effect between 1600-2300, your upload quota isn't a total limit measured over that period. Years ago it used to be the case that if you reached something like 4.5gb by 1800 then you were screwed till 2300. It now operates on an hourly basis and tbh dude I am on the same tier as you and do a lot of uploading and struggle to be affected by it. Once you know what the average upload speed is to hit that hourly threshold you can make sure you keep yourself just below it. Even so, if you do hit the threshold you go down to 500k/sec for 1 hour which is a modest speed imho.

Anyways, if you want a truly unmanaged tier then you might want to consider the 200mbit "gamer" tier which is 200/20 and the upload is not managed at all.

arcimedes 23-03-2017 10:47

Good advice from the General as usual so I hesitate add an extra comment.

Always Google first before asking. Solves most problems.

Gazid 23-03-2017 11:21

Many thanks for that. It does make sense and I can see why they do it. It just would have been good if they had pointed it out before hand.

Paul 23-03-2017 13:30

Like pretty much any service, its down to you to check up on the finer points of what you are buying.

Gazid 23-03-2017 13:42

Thanks Paul - Yes, live and learn

rtho782 25-03-2017 20:18

Your previous tier would have had the same.

If you go to 200 gamer, 20mbit up and no throttling.

Gazid 25-03-2017 21:40

thanks rtho

MagicUK 26-03-2017 11:42

Upgrade to gamer.